#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #15
BurnOne

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconerOneSeven View Post
The day I picked up my ZL1 (non 1LE) and drove home from the dealership and got caught in a downpour... I was literally aquaplaning at highway speed. The following day I ordered a set of 1LE OEM wheels (which I love the look) and 305/19-30 Pilot S4 and 345/30-19 Pilot Super Sport - Impressively the back wheels mounted with tires are 1.5 LBS lighter in the back and a full 2 Lbs in the front with much wider tires than the stock in 285/30-19 and 305/30/19.

This set is used for every day drive and road trips. And I now I am contemplating purchasing another set for eventual track days and spirited hot summer day drive. So far I have my sight on some BC forged wheels with Pilot SC2, same model and color than the one in the attached picture. Hope this helps..
Did you mount those 345/30/19 on a 11" deep wheel?
BurnOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #16
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy96 View Post
I purchased a new 2020 ZLE about 2 months ago. I’ve been driving on the factory 3r tires, which are great when warmed up, but I mostly street drive and mountain cruise. I have signed up for a couple track weekends over the next year, but won’t be tracking it more than that. That being said, I’ve been debating on whether or not I should get a second set of wheels to use for every day and keep the stock wheels and 3r tires just for the track or if I should just put street tires on the factory wheels and save the money. 85% of the time is sunny day driving, 10% is curvy road mountain cruise and 5% is track.

If I got second set, I like the factory wheels or may get some apex wheels.

What would you do?
I bought Apex Arc-8. Lighter, stronger and in ZLE size.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:09 PM   #17
hooligan317

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I need to do the same thing and pick up a second set for daily use. Leaning BC Forged per some of the previous recommendations. The blue ZLE on their site with the KL13's on it looks amazing! Some Pilot Sport 4S and call it good.
hooligan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:01 AM   #18
FalconerOneSeven

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnOne View Post
Did you mount those 345/30/19 on a 11" deep wheel?
I mounted the 345/30/19 on a OEM 1le rear wheel which I believe is 12" wide.
FalconerOneSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:39 PM   #19
CaliforniaKid

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbreaker View Post
I bought Apex Arc-8. Lighter, stronger and in ZLE size.
Apex are def lighter but not nearly as strong as stock ZLE wheels. Apex are flow formed which is great but not near as strong as a forged wheel.
CaliforniaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #20
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
Apex are def lighter but not nearly as strong as stock ZLE wheels. Apex are flow formed which is great but not near as strong as a forged wheel.
I was going to get a set of Forgeline or HREs for my track set, but the deal Apex gave me on my ARC-8s (I've bought 6 or 7 sets from them over the years), I couldn't pass it up. I could get almost three sets of ARC-8s for what it would cost to get a set of Forged from the other brands. I'm not saying they aren't worth it as I've had Forgelines in the past and they are beautiful wheels. I'm only do two-three events a year that aren't that hard on the car so I figured I didn't need the top of food chain forged. Hopefully I don't regret that decision someday at the track (it's on my wet set up with PS4Ss, I use the stock ZLE wheels/SC3Rs for the dry track days). Apex has an excellent reputation so I'm not too worried about it.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #21
slimjim2525

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Use my stock wheels (silver) and tires for track days. Bought stock SS rims in black with all seasons for every day use.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #22
CaliforniaKid

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I was going to get a set of Forgeline or HREs for my track set, but the deal Apex gave me on my ARC-8s (I've bought 6 or 7 sets from them over the years), I couldn't pass it up. I could get almost three sets of ARC-8s for what it would cost to get a set of Forged from the other brands. I'm not saying they aren't worth it as I've had Forgelines in the past and they are beautiful wheels. I'm only do two-three events a year that aren't that hard on the car so I figured I didn't need the top of food chain forged. Hopefully I don't regret that decision someday at the track (it's on my wet set up with PS4Ss, I use the stock ZLE wheels/SC3Rs for the dry track days). Apex has an excellent reputation so I'm not too worried about it.
I’ve had great luck with apex on my bmw too, not knocking them at all. They are a great wheel and I totally get where you’re coming from.
CaliforniaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #23
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
I’ve had great luck with apex on my bmw too, not knocking them at all. They are a great wheel and I totally get where you’re coming from.
Same here on both M and non M cars. Sorry, I wasn't trying to come across like you were knocking them.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote