Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-21-2024, 12:40 AM   #1
Diablo4

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS A/T
Question ECU Firmware SS

Dear all, could you please advise below, 2011 Camaro SS A/T Vin J

1) Is there any way to find the current version of the ECM firmware without a trip to the official service? If yes, where can I download it? Or buy it online ?

2) Is it possible to find online ECM firmware with AFM already disabled? If so, is it possible to reflash it without HP Tuners? If only for HP Tuners, then where can I download/buy it? Are there such websites with ready to use firmwares ?

3) Can I download firmware from any identical car with disabled AFM and install it on my car ?
Diablo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:59 AM   #2
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Guys on the HPTuners forum share tunes all the time, but if you are not a skilled tuner, I would not be using HPTuners on your own. You can buy an HPTuners device on many sites including Amazon or even the HPTuners website.

Tunes can be locked by the tuner and the tuning device has to have credits for the VIN of the car you are flashing, borrowing a tune from another car would be a sketchy proposition.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:42 AM   #3
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
CamaroCracka's right, HPTuners has a Tune Repository that has stock tunes from individuals that have uploaded them to their forum. That sounds like something you should avoid if you're not stock or adept on using HPTuners to tune your car. You can literally make your ECM into an unrecoverable paperweight in no time.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:46 AM   #4
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Be aware that HPT will not completely write a GM Gen 4 ECM. But you never want to write a stray tune to your ECM. You read your existing ECM and make desired changes to the file and re-write.

There are the Range AFM disablers if that is all you want to do. There are also other options besides HPT for tuning, some of which are more set up for pre-written tunes for simple things.

HPT is more than a download. You have to have their interface device to go with it, plus purchase credits that are tied to your car and interface. It's cheaper to just find a local tuner to do it if you just want simple things changed.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 10:32 AM   #5
Diablo4

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Be aware that HPT will not completely write a GM Gen 4 ECM. But you never want to write a stray tune to your ECM. You read your existing ECM and make desired changes to the file and re-write.

There are the Range AFM disablers if that is all you want to do. There are also other options besides HPT for tuning, some of which are more set up for pre-written tunes for simple things.

HPT is more than a download. You have to have their interface device to go with it, plus purchase credits that are tied to your car and interface. It's cheaper to just find a local tuner to do it if you just want simple things changed.
I use Range for 2 years, it's ok.

But why I can't download ECU from other identical car and upload to my car ? I usually go to the GM station and buy firmware from them, then updating my car with their tool.

So, I can't understand why I can't upload the firmware from other car without hp tuners ))
Diablo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 10:44 AM   #6
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Because there isn't another GM car that you can use that will work. Or do you think that you are going to download a modified tune with GM software/tools and get a copy that way. I've never heard of anyone attempting that. I don't even know that the SPS will read a tune beyond checking to see if it's been changed from the check sum data. SPS is typically used for uploading GM OEM files to an ECM.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 01:03 PM   #7
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo4 View Post
I use Range for 2 years, it's ok.

But why I can't download ECU from other identical car and upload to my car ? I usually go to the GM station and buy firmware from them, then updating my car with their tool.

So, I can't understand why I can't upload the firmware from other car without hp tuners ))
I dont understand why a stock tune is even desired when your car is modified. That sounds like it could cause problems and I dont think a new tune is your issue if the trims are as you say in idle and cruise.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:11 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Very confusing what the OP is trying to accomplish. He's going to have more problems than planned for than just going to have a real tune done.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:24 PM   #9
FasNuf

So, IF this is tune related, we can't really do anything constructive without the tune file and a good log. You'd be better off going to a good reputable professional tuner and having him diagnose your issue.
There are a few on the forum here that can do email tune and diagnostics.