Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 12-22-2022, 09:55 AM   #1
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
wideband help

So, guys I need your help. I'm thinking about installing a wideband pretty soon and wanted to get your guy's opinions. I want one that I has a pass through on the obd port and one that has the ability to display the gauge a/f ratio at the same time I data log. I've been thinking about using this one from PLX https://www.plxdevices.com/Wideband-...7346002719.htm . What I'm not sure about is whether or not the other bank will need an o2 the same as the one on the wideband? The o2 in the kit reads narrow band and wideband at the same time which is kind of what I want so I only have to have one bung. Or should I just go with the AEM one
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-0334 and just have a bung welded in? I'm not one for wiring so which one will be easiest to wire for a lazy sob? Thanks

Joe
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:14 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
No personnel experience, but I would be very suspicious of running a narrowband simulator on one side and a regular narrowband on the other. I would be worried that there would be to much difference in response time and that causing problems. I just don't think that the extra complexity is worth it to just save welding in another bung.

I saw you post on HPTuner forum, but you might have more luck there if you post it in the GM Gen 4 section with more traffic. It also may be somewhat dependent on what the application is in how likely it is or isn't to cause problems.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:22 AM   #3
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Generally, folks swap out one rear narrowband and insert a wideband in that banks existing bung (I've used the AEM O2 sensors (Bosch really) and wiring; they're good). The "old" narrowband connector to the ECU is no longer used because the "new" wideband wiring goes to the reader/gauge (yes, you need to run a wire). The "old" narrowband would be deleted/disabled in the tune and codes disabled so no check engine light (MIL). As for adding a 2nd wideband in the other bank - most of the time one is adequate. It's when folks start mucking around with more and more mods that it could become beneficial to keep an eye on everything (injectors, fueling, etc.)

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
No personnel experience, but I would be very suspicious of running a narrowband simulator on one side and a regular narrowband on the other. I would be worried that there would be to much difference in response time and that causing problems. I just don't think that the extra complexity is worth it to just save welding in another bung.

I saw you post on HPTuner forum, but you might have more luck there if you post it in the GM Gen 4 section with more traffic. It also may be somewhat dependent on what the application is in how likely it is or isn't to cause problems.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of as well having two different sensors on both sides. Thanks for the opinion.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 12-22-2022, 11:26 AM   #5
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
Generally, folks swap out one rear narrowband and insert a wideband in that banks existing bung (I've used the AEM O2 sensors (Bosch really) and wiring; they're good). The "old" narrowband connector to the ECU is no longer used because the "new" wideband wiring goes to the reader/gauge (yes, you need to run a wire). The "old" narrowband would be deleted/disabled in the tune and codes disabled so no check engine light (MIL). As for adding a 2nd wideband in the other bank - most of the time one is adequate. It's when folks start mucking around with more and more mods that it could become beneficial to keep an eye on everything (injectors, fueling, etc.)
Thanks for the info.

Old 12-22-2022, 12:03 PM   #6
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
Generally, folks swap out one rear narrowband and insert a wideband in that banks existing bung
Wouldn't you want the sensor before the cat? I'm no expert but that's what I've read... AEM also says to install before the cat (closer to the engine).

I have the 30-0334 as well. Don't need one on both banks assuming both banks are running well. Could do all of your tuning on one Bank and then switch to the other bank to verify they're the same, if you're curious.

When tuning fuel you disable the factory O2 sensors anyway so installing a wideband in place of a factory sensor is fine, just disconnect it or tie it up out of the way. With the 30-0334 you'll have to run the cable from the sensor through the firewall to your gauge (there's a hole near the cabin air filter housing), and from gauge to OBD2 connector. For power I used a fused cigarette lighter/accessory adapter plug with a 5 amp fuse.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 12:54 PM   #7
morepowerjoe

Well my rear o2 sensors are long gone anyways. So I think I will go with the AEM one. Does anyone know if the AEM 30-0334 lets you data log with the obd connection pass through to hp tuners or do I have to do some sort of serial adapter to the hp tuners interface?

Old 12-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #8
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Indeed, HP Tuners can read the wideband.

Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #9
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Indeed, HP Tuners can read the wideband.

Thank you for the video, I had looked at some but hadn't came across that one.

Old 12-22-2022, 03:33 PM   #10
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
The AEM is a good setup. I run the factory narrow bands in the front for fueling and the AEM WB's behind those for monitoring and logging
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 04:26 PM   #11
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Thank you for the video, I had looked at some but hadn't came across that one.
I do this but at 6'4" have to watch hitting it with my knees when getting in and out of the car. Can't count the number of times I did it when 1st installed. Just have to remember when I piggyback the tuner. Not saying it sticks out horribly but you do add 2 things in to that OBD port.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:53 PM   #12
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
I do this but at 6'4" have to watch hitting it with my knees when getting in and out of the car. Can't count the number of times I did it when 1st installed. Just have to remember when I piggyback the tuner. Not saying it sticks out horribly but you do add 2 things in to that OBD port.
Yeah my obd connecter is broke out the mount anyways so I'll be able to just tuck the whole wad of stuff and shove it it it under the dash.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:54 PM   #13
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have the AEM and it works well but I did have a weird problem when I forgot to remove the pass through to load a tune-HP tuners could no longer recognize my FPCM took a bit to figure out what happened. Pull the pass through when loading tunes!!!
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 04:55 PM   #14
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
I have the AEM and it works well but I did have a weird problem when I forgot to remove the pass through to load a tune-HP tuners could no longer recognize my FPCM took a bit to figure out what happened. Pull the pass through when loading tunes!!!
Oh definitely good to know. Thanks