#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
iwk2much

Drives: ZLI 1LE; 992 S; GLE 450, Denali HD
Drivability - 103 TB, Cam, + Big Gulp

Hi all. I was looking for input; experience on this issue;

When I first bought my car 2 years ago, changed TB to Tony Mamo + Roto Fab. Drivability with my M6 was much improved compared to the stock TB. Taking off in first gear was smoother and much easier to modulate.

Fast forward many mods later;

Just got back form the shop after installation of a 32% cam, Big Gulp, Kong 103 TB, Kong Ported blower, and 10% lower Pulley / ATI balancer.

I was disappointed with the drivability in first gear, the dead band is a lot larger than what I experienced with the Stock TB, Idling is seems too low, dying at times when coming to a stop, idle is so low that the motor dies before the computer has time to pull the idle back up. The first few degrees of throttle movement bogs the car down as if the mixture is too lean.

Before I contact my shop / tuner with this issue, I just wanted feedback from the folks that have gotten similar mods; how "bad" is your low RPM drivability? What should my expectations be? Never cammed a car before.

Thanks in advance for the input.
iwk2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
sickss228

Drives: 18 ZL1 mostly stock
What are the cam specs?
Old 04-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Talk to your tuner, the car should be tuned with those mods. If you're still having issues, your tuner should be able to sort it out.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
The tuner will have to spend way more time on driveability than WOT pulls to get it right. I spent all last year dialing in everything and driveability took 1/2 the time.

You really need to make sure they get the open loop MAF fueling spot on, then lock in the SD tune, then switch to dynamic mode. Once that happens you really can work on trims, timing and other things as it all comes together. With my SD mode the tuner I was working with even added more zones so we could really dial it in and refine the tune.

You will need to have something like the OBD2 AEM WB installed so you can log WB02 during all the part throttle street driving parts described above.

What is your idle set for? Your idle should be at least at 750. Right now 800 is more stable on my build.

Last edited by LiqTenExp; 04-05-2021 at 05:11 PM.
LiqTenExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #5
7LitreC5

Drives: 18 Tahoe RST, 19 Z06
I would think that is is cam and/or tune related. I run a NW 103 and a Big Gulp (stock cam). My car drives like stock.
7LitreC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:12 AM   #6
iwk2much

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickss228 View Post
What are the cam specs?
231/240, .645"/.635", 113LSA, +32% lobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
The tuner will have to spend way more time on driveability than WOT pulls to get it right. I spent all last year dialing in everything and driveability took 1/2 the time.

You really need to make sure they get the open loop MAF fueling spot on, then lock in the SD tune, then switch to dynamic mode. Once that happens you really can work on trims, timing and other things as it all comes together. With my SD mode the tuner I was working with even added more zones so we could really dial it in and refine the tune.
Thanks for the feedback. I hope my tuner can sort this out. I wonder if there a repository of tunes out there that can be used as a starting point.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:40 AM   #7
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwk2much View Post
231/240, .645"/.635", 113LSA, +32% lobe

Thanks for the feedback. I hope my tuner can sort this out. I wonder if there a repository of tunes out there that can be used as a starting point.
I’m running 103 TB and cam (a bit bigger cam than what you have). You have a tuning issue. When I was having mine tuned, it took about 2-3 revisions to get it dialed in right. Took about 1 week of driving it around and seeing what it would do. Car is solid now.

Make sure your tuner drives it on the street. Drive it around town, turn it off for a couple of minutes, then back on. Drive it hard for a bit. Shut it down and then back on again. See what the car does with some heat in it.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:42 AM   #8
Markoz28

For reference, my car idle about 800 RPM and is solid.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:00 AM   #9
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
I hope your tuner did a thorough STREET and dyno tune. That is essential to address drivability issues. That cam is going to push your HP and torque curves higher, so you are likely to lose some grunt down below/off idle. That said, I think what you have described should be largely cleaned up with additional tuning. Take it back to the shop.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:03 AM   #10
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
In gear mine is set to idle at 825 and 850 in P/N. What is your timing running at idle?

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:10 AM   #11
iwk2much

While waiting to bring the car back to the shop to dial out the drivability issue, went to the track for a shakedown in prep for two days at Daytona next week. I wanted to confirm the drivability issue is a not a problem coming out of slow turns;

First couple of laps, engine felt great, slicks fighting harder for traction as heat builds up - definitely more HP - this will be fun!
First hot lap - it was clear the extra 70 HP requires adjusting my marks. I missed some breaking points and had wheel spin when getting on power at my normal marks but lap time was solid. I was excited to spend the rest of the sessions learning and adjusting my marks.

Second lap - timer predicting -.8s, whoa, going to be a good day... until I hit the main straight, RPM climbing in third, then misfire. Shift to fourth, misfire continued. Continued for a couple more laps to absorb what the heck is going on. Misfire occurs at WOT past 4000 RPM in 3rd & 4th gear, doesn't seem to happen at WOT in 2nd gear. After two laps of taking mental notes, the check engine light comes on and start flashing - wtf?. So did a cool down lap - time to go back to the pits. In disbelief and pissed at the prospect of kissing my Daytona entry fee goodbye, a moment of hope;

As I approach pit entry, I noticed the flashing check engine light disappeared. I decided to take another lap. WOT down the straight - no misfire. Hey, I may be OK, next couple of turns, no issues - all right!. That is until I hit the back straight, misfire back, check engine starts flashings again.

Got back to the pits; checked codes, I had two; Misfire Cylinder 8 and Random misfire detected.

Cleared the codes and went back out with my laptop connected to the HPtuner so I can send my tuner the logfile. Same experience, warmup lap fine, as soon as I drove hard and got heat in engine, got the misfire back at WOT. Slowed down, lights stopped flashing, then misfire back after a couple more WOT events. Seems to be heat / load related.

Sorry about the long post; Looking for the gurus to throw out ideas on what I can do to this thing to perhaps cure this problem and save my Daytona experience.

The car had brand new plugs stock NGK 7I plugs installed as part of the build. Just bought a new set of spark plug wires from the dealer to see what that does. I'm just not sure how I can test the results without breaking speeding laws and putting people in danger.

This sucks. Anyone want to take my spot in Daytona on Monday... lol
Old 04-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Hopefully you were scanning and if so, kept your scans to give to the shop. It is more difficult to duplicate some drivability issues than WOT pulls on the dyno; and it might be more difficult for some dynos above others. The more information and data you can use to support what you're finding, the better.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #13
Markoz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwk2much View Post
While waiting to bring the car back to the shop to dial out the drivability issue, went to the track for a shakedown in prep for two days at Daytona next week. I wanted to confirm the drivability issue is a not a problem coming out of slow turns;

First couple of laps, engine felt great, slicks fighting harder for traction as heat builds up - definitely more HP - this will be fun!
First hot lap - it was clear the extra 70 HP requires adjusting my marks. I missed some breaking points and had wheel spin when getting on power at my normal marks but lap time was solid. I was excited to spend the rest of the sessions learning and adjusting my marks.

Second lap - timer predicting -.8s, whoa, going to be a good day... until I hit the main straight, RPM climbing in third, then misfire. Shift to fourth, misfire continued. Continued for a couple more laps to absorb what the heck is going on. Misfire occurs at WOT past 4000 RPM in 3rd & 4th gear, doesn't seem to happen at WOT in 2nd gear. After two laps of taking mental notes, the check engine light comes on and start flashing - wtf?. So did a cool down lap - time to go back to the pits. In disbelief and pissed at the prospect of kissing my Daytona entry fee goodbye, a moment of hope;

As I approach pit entry, I noticed the flashing check engine light disappeared. I decided to take another lap. WOT down the straight - no misfire. Hey, I may be OK, next couple of turns, no issues - all right!. That is until I hit the back straight, misfire back, check engine starts flashings again.

Got back to the pits; checked codes, I had two; Misfire Cylinder 8 and Random misfire detected.

Cleared the codes and went back out with my laptop connected to the HPtuner so I can send my tuner the logfile. Same experience, warmup lap fine, as soon as I drove hard and got heat in engine, got the misfire back at WOT. Slowed down, lights stopped flashing, then misfire back after a couple more WOT events. Seems to be heat / load related.

Sorry about the long post; Looking for the gurus to throw out ideas on what I can do to this thing to perhaps cure this problem and save my Daytona experience.

The car had brand new plugs stock NGK 7I plugs installed as part of the build. Just bought a new set of spark plug wires from the dealer to see what that does. I'm just not sure how I can test the results without breaking speeding laws and putting people in danger.

This sucks. Anyone want to take my spot in Daytona on Monday... lol
Tuning issue for sure. Take back to tuner or find another. Personally I’ll be sticking with Jannetty from here on. Best experience so far. Real easy
To work with and car is perfect.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:48 AM   #14
iwk2much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Tuning issue for sure. Take back to tuner or find another. Personally I’ll be sticking with Jannetty from here on. Best experience so far. Real easy
To work with and car is perfect.
You ship your car to them?