Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #85
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
What a lot of people dont consider when deciding to S/C and spend a mint - normally close to 10k with an install - is they have instantly devalued their car. You may decide to keep it long term, but most guys dont because new models are enticing and the urge to tinker is too strong.

When selling the car, you may believe youll get a return since youve spent what amounts to a small fortune on the overall vehicle, but the reality is the majority of buyers dont want a car thats been picked to pieces. They want stock used cars -not ones torn up and driven hard by 20 somethings - aka "drive it like you stole it" guys. I can normally spot one of these right away without peeking under the hood- they run rough and are beat to sh$t. I avoid them like the plague. See them roll through auctions all the time and go for less than plain stock equivalents in most cases.

My point to all this is, if you arent married to the car forever, then you may want to mod what you can return to stock later. Axle back exhaust, CAI, Tune are my go to's - however the MSD manifold may come into the mix. Save those stock parts!

Ive spent 25k of F/I systems and internals over the years on cars I no longer own. What a waste.
Anyone looking at a Camaro as some sort of investment is misguided to begin with. As much as enthusiasts may love the cars they are nothing special. They are a mass production vehicle and will lose value starting on day one. The point of owning a car like a Camaro is to enjoy driving it and maybe competing if that is your thing. If you are going to let potential future value dictate whether or not you maximize your enjoyment today then just go buy a Nissan Maxima and have a nice ride. If you want to modify it and can afford to do so (and fix it) then do it and be happy about it.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #86
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Anyone looking at a Camaro as some sort of investment is misguided to begin with. As much as enthusiasts may love the cars they are nothing special. They are a mass production vehicle and will lose value starting on day one. The point of owning a car like a Camaro is to enjoy driving it and maybe competing if that is your thing. If you are going to let potential future value dictate whether or not you maximize your enjoyment today then just go buy a Nissan Maxima and have a nice ride. If you want to modify it and can afford to do so (and fix it) then do it and be happy about it.
I could be wrong, but I think he was saying going wild with mods ruins the resale value of your car and destroys the trade in value. I had a 5th gen bolt on SS which was a ton of fun as a bolton car. Then when I decided to trade it in on a 1LE, I returned it back to stock. I got a pretty good trade in price even tough it was in need of new tires. And then sold those boltons at about 60% of what I paid. Win win! But as you say the Camaro is a mass produced car and given the high initial price of the car, it depreciates pretty ralidly in the beginning.

I also agree with Disturbed on his viewpoint of adding FI. Having done that and also owned a ZL1. I far prefer the ZL1 even though it was slower.

I am planning to have some mods and a tune added soon. I am a little worried as the Car and Driver long term SS is starting to suck oil at around 6,000 miles, just around my number. While those mods do not automatically void the warrranty, dealers can give you a really hard time. Still I bought this car to have fun, not polish it and keep it in the garage.

But back to the topic, I will be adding the MSD Manifold to my list of mods. I read good things including from you. I wish though they would have built it so the stock cover could go over it. It is an eyesore.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #87
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Have it sanded and painted red or something. Sure Ted could figure something out. That's what ill probably do...

And you have some time to spare waiting for parts...could be fun to do it yourself...
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #88
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Have we met?

You dont know me 1 iota, nor qualified to be telling me what I should and shouldnt do. Are we clear yet or do I need to repeat it on every other thread?

MSD probably makes a great product, but I have no first hand experience with their brand so cant comment on its effectiveness.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #89
TSloper

Stop posting things you don't want a response to.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:07 AM   #90
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I could be wrong, but I think he was saying going wild with mods ruins the resale value of your car and destroys the trade in value. I had a 5th gen bolt on SS which was a ton of fun as a bolton car. Then when I decided to trade it in on a 1LE, I returned it back to stock. I got a pretty good trade in price even tough it was in need of new tires. And then sold those boltons at about 60% of what I paid. Win win! But as you say the Camaro is a mass produced car and given the high initial price of the car, it depreciates pretty ralidly in the beginning.

I also agree with Disturbed on his viewpoint of adding FI. Having done that and also owned a ZL1. I far prefer the ZL1 even though it was slower.

I am planning to have some mods and a tune added soon. I am a little worried as the Car and Driver long term SS is starting to suck oil at around 6,000 miles, just around my number. While those mods do not automatically void the warrranty, dealers can give you a really hard time. Still I bought this car to have fun, not polish it and keep it in the garage.

But back to the topic, I will be adding the MSD Manifold to my list of mods. I read good things including from you. I wish though they would have built it so the stock cover could go over it. It is an eyesore.
FINALLY!..THANK YOU for actually making intelligent comments - for or against - my post. You are exactly right in what I was getting at.

Read the same in Car and driver, believed they blamed it on DoD and oil pooling or burn in the throttled back cylinders. Not really sure if I like or dislike that feature - lots of opinions out there.

Went your route and decided to keep the SS as opposed to buying a used ZL1, although Id still pick it over my current setup given the chance.

Along with the MSD what are your other mod plans? If I hadnt gone F/I, it would have been the MSD, Inductions CAI, Borla catback and x pipe, shorty headers and aggressive tune. Figured once the MSD intake went on and headers swapped it would seriously start putting any warantee claims to the test. Its fairly subjective anyways based on the service managers discretion towards aftermarket parts.

4 Camaros in 6 years?? Man and I thought I was the only one here with serious commitment issues!

Last edited by DisturbedSS; 10-08-2016 at 03:20 AM.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #91
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Any update?
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #92
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
Any update?
check first post.

Strangely Jannety Racing did dyno testing with this manifold that show TQ loss in the low range and HP gains up top. JDP's dyno shows gains across the whole RPM range.

Now I'm even more confused. Who's dyno is right?

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472259
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #93
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
What type of mods are needing for the side covers to fit over this intake, just cutting and placing in place?
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #94
EFI Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
check first post.

Strangely Jannety Racing did dyno testing with this manifold that show TQ loss in the low range and HP gains up top. JDP's dyno shows gains across the whole RPM range.

Now I'm even more confused. Who's dyno is right?

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472259
They are both right... how's that for a response? LOL

I looked at all of this last spring. Ted's results matched what I saw on the dyno. I posted quite a bit of ECM data back then.

JDP is at an extremely high elevation and is not representative of close to the sea level scenario most will be at. The ECM is going to pull from different areas of the timing table at 5K feet than it will at sea level. Those areas will offer more timing advance as the g/cyl is less at elevation. This is not something JDP can control nor are their results inaccurate. They just aren't representative of how it will behave if you are at a close to sea level elevation.

Tim

Last edited by EFI Tuning; 11-30-2016 at 07:02 AM.
EFI Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #95
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Tuning View Post
They are both right... how's that for a response? LOL

I looked at all of this last spring. Ted's results matched what I saw on the dyno. I posted quite a bit of ECM data back then.

JDP is at an extremely high elevation and is not representative of close to the sea level scenario most will be at. The ECM is going to pull from different areas of the timing table at 5K feet than it will at sea level. Those areas will offer more timing advance as the g/cyl is less at elevation. This is not something JDP can control nor are their results inaccurate. They just aren't representative of how it will behave if you are at a close to sea level elevation.

Tim
Thanks for the clarity, Tim.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #96
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by bybcous View Post
What type of mods are needing for the side covers to fit over this intake, just cutting and placing in place?
I have those side covers and everyone at Atco likes the look. Looks fast. LOL.

JRE did this for me. I have not looked under them yet, but I think the tech at JRE built some custom brackets.

Edit: Ted can help you Contact JRE.

Last edited by Fraxum; 11-30-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #97
C.sheshter

Drives: Blue 2ss
Hi,

Why do i need the crossover fuel line for msd atomic airforce ? Can i insttal it without it i have 2ss camaro 2016

Thank you
C.sheshter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #98
C.sheshter

Drives: Blue 2ss
Hi,

Why do i need the crossover fuel line for msd atomic airforce ? Can i insttal it without it i have 2ss camaro 2016

Thank you
C.sheshter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6th gen camaro, airforce, jdp motorsports, lt1, msd