Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 05-04-2021, 01:08 AM   #1
1LE_L1FE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Parking brake didn't totally stop car on steep hill, warning light came on

I've been parking facing downhill on this steep hill for around 3 weeks now. I regularly do so ~15ish minutes after hours of 7 10ths driving on mountain roads where I stress the brakes, but certainly not to the extent of a track day or anything. Never had an issue.

When I'm parking I pop it in neutral, turn the wheels towards the curb, engage the parking brake, let off the brake pedal so the car's weight rests on the parking brake, then put it into 1st with the clutch in and kill the engine. First time I've had to consistently park on a steep hill, and I've been driving a stick less than a year, but I assume this is the correct technique.

Today I got back to my car after it'd been parked on flat ground for hours. Drove 15 minutes home. Had a nice pull getting on an (empty) highway into 5th gear, but I barely used the brakes getting down to cruising speed, mostly coasted; I can't imagine I put any meaningful heat into them. Probably 7-8 minutes of pedestrian driving and then I parked it.

I did my usual technique... but when I let off the brake pedal the weight shifted onto the parking brake, slowed significantly, but kept rolling. I was a little freaked out, so I went for another lap of the block and did it again. Same thing, and this time the yellow parking brake warning light came on momentarily as it rolled. I hit the brake pedal again, it stopped, light went off, let off the brake, no more rolling, put it into gear and got out.

I inspected the front brakes and everything looked normal. No unusual smells. Nothing out of the ordinary at all. Just went and checked it again around 2 hours after parking and it's right where I left it, front wheel isn't into the curb (although it's obviously also in gear).

I'm the third owner, but I've had it 10 months and put 14k on it (up to 31k) without issue. I'm really struggling to understand this, anyone got any ideas? I guess I'm ready to not worry about it if it doesn't repeat, but it was bizarre and concerning. Maybe worth stopping by a parts store to check for codes tomorrow?
1LE_L1FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:16 AM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Electronics gonna do electronic things periodically.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:33 PM   #3
1LE_L1FE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
No repeats since, just as an update. You're probably right.
1LE_L1FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:19 AM   #4
supercab78

Drives: 1931 Ford 1941&1963 Chevy. 2020 LT1
Did it roll on you before you let the clutch out? If so you would of had two back (safeties). Tire turned to the curb and in first gear. You are parking it the correct way for on a hill.
supercab78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:39 AM   #5
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
The parking brake only engages on the rear wheels. It's a separate system. Next time kill the engine after you turn the wheels to the curb while still holding the brake pedal down. Then engage the e-brake so you can hear it engage, then put it in first and then release the brakes. That's my process. By having the engine off first you can easily hear the e-brake engage and thus know it's set.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #6
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
i am no expert, but isn't the parking brake a separate system than the pads and rotors, or was that just older cars with the lever? I thought they used to have a ring of sorts squeeze the hub.
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote