Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 04-03-2021, 05:48 PM   #1
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Tons of DTCs

Apologies this is so long...........

Well it started at a track event 6Mar. The car ran well, but the transmission was shifting harder than 'normal'. More of a jolt instead of quick & smooth. No CEL or DTC
Yes, fluid has been changed whenever it gets to 15-19hrs of track time & level is good. There had been good transmission performance at a track day since the last change.
11Mar: I went on a 300mi round trip and had a CEL when I filled up upon my return.
I should have gone to the dealer right away.....instead I cleared everything to see if they'd return. I drove around several days, nothing returned
Engine codes
P0700: TCM requested MIL
Transmission codes
U0073: control module communication bus “A” off
Anti-lock brake codes
U0140: lost communication with BCM CURRENT
Power steering control module codes
U0100: lost communication with ECM
U0121: lost communication with electronic brake control module
U0073: CAN bus communication
Radio controls codes
B1325: control module power circuit voltage below threshold
Serial data gateway module codes
U0073: CAN bus communication OBDII codes CURRENT
OBDII codes
P0700: transmission control system MIL request
U0101: lost communication with TCM
U0073: control module communication bus A off

19Mar: Was driving up to Eagles Canyon for a couple days and stop off at Cresson for a Monday funday on the way home. Planning a great time. About 180mi from home car got a CEL and the trans locked in a single gear, ~4000rpm at 40mph. Found a place to park and scan the codes. Tons of DTCs. Called my dealer, they said Onstar policy is to tow to the nearest dealership for repairs. This makes sense. It's Friday late afternoon 180mi from home, I'm not interest in being stuck, paying for a hotel without a car or renting a car for multiple days. Also I'm beyond my AAA range for a tow.
Engine codes
P0700: TCM requested MIL
U0101: lost communication with transmission control module CURRENT
U0121: lost communication with electronic brake control module CURRENT
U0140: lost communication with body control module CURRENT
Transmission codes
U0100: lost communication with engine control module CURRENT
U0121: lost communication with electronic brake control module CURRENT
U0140: lost communication with body control module CURRENT
Anti-lock brake codes
U0140: lost communication with BCM CURRENT
U0100: lost communication with body control module CURRENT
U042B: invalid data received from chassis control module invalid serial data received CURRENT
U0073: control module communication high speed CAN bus off CURRENT
Body control module codes
Parking assist module codes
U0422: invalid data received from body control module
Power steering control module codes
U0100: lost communication with ECM
U0121: lost communication with electronic brake control module
U0073: CAN bus communication
Radio controls codes
B1325: control module power circuit voltage below threshold
Serial data gateway module codes
U0073: CAN bus communication OBDII codes CURRENT
P0700: transmission control system (MIL request)
Suspension control module codes
Tire pressure monitor codes
OBDII codes
P0700: transmission control system MIL request
U0101: lost communication with TCM
U0100: lost communication with ECM/PCM A
Looking back, I should have bucked up and paid $$$$ for the additional tow to get it back to my dealer with the codes in the car. I decided to clear the codes and keep going...........
I made it about 10 more miles and got another CEL, but the transmission was shifting fine. Pulled over to read codes, only had 2...........decided I should hang it up and head to the dealership. Got an appointment for Sat morning. I did not clear the codes.
Engine codes
P015D: HO2S delayed response lean to rich bank 2 sensor 1
OBDII codes
P015D: HO2S delayed response lean to rich bank 2 sensor 1
When I got to the dealer there was an additional PDR communication code (don't know the DTC #)
When I dropped off the car, I gave the service writer a printout of all the codes that I cleared and why. Dealer replaced bank 2, front O2 sensor and told me to come get the car. I had my doubts about the fix so I drove the car for several days on longish trips, but kept within 100mi of dealership.......just in case. No CEL or DTC.
I contacted a friend about running MSRH for a day to build my confidence in the car before I took it out of town.

2Apr: First session out was fantastic, car shifted perfect again and no CEL/DTC. Second session was not as good, got CEL, came in and read 2 codes
Engine codes
P0196: engine oil temperature sensor performance , warning indicator requested
Antilock brakes
U0140: lost communication with body control module
Did not clear and went out for 2 more sessions, no additional codes and car performed well. Called the dealer, told them I'm coming in. Swung by the house to unload the car and went to the dealer. Service writer told me that the comm DTC is common "they all do it" and that he'd have an engine tech look at the oil sensor.?.? They gave me a Chevy Trax while the repairs are ongoing.

I've got myself convinced that there is a wiring or module issue that is causing the communication issues and the oil sensor/O2 are symptoms showing up as faults due to miscommunication between the sensor and module.

I told the service writer that I wasn't pissed off, but they need to spend time on the car and not just through parts at it. I absolutely understand that this is not an easy thing to sort out and it'll take some time..........
My plan is to see what happens this time and give them one more opportunity after this one and then start running up the org chart.

Have any of y'all dealt with a long, difficult repair? What kind of timeline should I really expect here?

If you read this far, I greatly appreciate your time and welcome your comments &/or experiences.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #2
h018871
Geoff

I guess it is too long and WAY too much info.

From all of the above, this is my request for feedback: Have any of y'all dealt with a long, difficult repair? What kind of timeline should I really expect here?

Anyway: Picked it up today, they changed the oil temp sensor.
I'll run it this weekend at MSRH and see how it does.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
There have been TSBs for wire harnesses that have rubbed against belts or sharp corners in the engine bay. I would check for that and loose ground cables in the engine bay. Some people have had luck resolving electrical gremlins by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few hours to reset the computers. Good luck! Chasing stuff like this will take some patience.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:38 PM   #4
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
I guess it is too long and WAY too much info.

From all of the above, this is my request for feedback: Have any of y'all dealt with a long, difficult repair? What kind of timeline should I really expect here?

Anyway: Picked it up today, they changed the oil temp sensor.
I'll run it this weekend at MSRH and see how it does.
Mine had a bad connector on ecm. Took the dealer I don’t know how many different techs and almost 4 weeks continuous to find it and correct it. Good luck with the track day and hopefully no more codes/repairs.
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #5
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I would be curious if a bulkhead connector is loose somewhere. Sometimes that will cause issues. Bad, loose grounds also.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:14 AM   #6
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
You don't leave a bluetooth OBD device plugged in when you run it do you? When i tried to use my OBDLink device for data on the track it would throw codes and the car would lose communication between modules. Sucks, but i just quit using it and had no more issues.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:33 AM   #7
h018871
Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
You don't leave a bluetooth OBD device plugged in when you run it do you? When i tried to use my OBDLink device for data on the track it would throw codes and the car would lose communication between modules. Sucks, but i just quit using it and had no more issues.
Interesting
No bluetooth OBD device.......however, I do have a Banks gauge. I'll run without it Saturday. Appreciate the suggestion. A new update was issued recently for the Banks, I've loaded it and if no issues Sat, I may connect it for Sun and see what gives. My goal is to have confidence in the car again

Everyone, I appreciate the feedback. Fingers crossed this weekend will go well. If not, it'll be towed back to the dealer with hopefully a bunch of codes that help them sort it out.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #8
h018871
Geoff

Good News
No codes all weekend!

I did not try the OBD gauge, I have a few more track days coming up and will try it on the last day to verify if it is/was the problem.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:51 AM   #9
TheRealJA105

Glad to hear it. I'm interested if it was the OBD gauge and if these cars have some major issue running with them.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #10
h018871
Geoff

I found a TSB this morning on the subject. If codes show up when I plug the gauge back in, I'll contact the manufacturer to see if they're working on a solution.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 13_08_116_001F OBD Devices.pdf (1.52 MB, 250 views)
Old 04-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Sounds like you're on the right track with the gauge.

U codes are communication codes for issues within the bus itself, and can be caused if something is spamming unwanted noise into the bus, or dragging down voltage or surging voltage where it shouldn't. Wiring harness issues, bad modules, or aftermarket parts can all do this.

The original rubbing harness issues were 1st year 2017 issues, and addressed via TSB under original 3/36 factory warranty. They were fixed in 2018+, so very likely not relevant to the OP's circumstance. For reference, the TSB's are below, and 2 can be easily done in minutes DIY with some of the proper tape, wire mold and zip-ties:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TSB-18258.pdf (688.4 KB, 231 views)
File Type: pdf TSB-17468.pdf (422.5 KB, 225 views)
File Type: pdf TSB-17457.pdf (604.1 KB, 286 views)
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #12
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
I found a TSB this morning on the subject. If codes show up when I plug the gauge back in, I'll contact the manufacturer to see if they're working on a solution.
I think we are on to something here. I hope I can use my OBDlink in my 2013 Z06 without issues.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:56 PM   #13
JitteryJoe

Drives: 21' LTI, '18 Traverse, '15 Mazda 6
I have nothing to add here other than the second T in the title looked like an I when I first read it!

JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:08 PM   #14
h018871
Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track with the gauge.

U codes are communication codes for issues within the bus itself, and can be caused if something is spamming unwanted noise into the bus, or dragging down voltage or surging voltage where it shouldn't. Wiring harness issues, bad modules, or aftermarket parts can all do this.

The original rubbing harness issues were 1st year 2017 issues, and addressed via TSB under original 3/36 factory warranty. They were fixed in 2018+, so very likely not relevant to the OP's circumstance. For reference, the TSB's are below, and 2 can be easily done in minutes DIY with some of the proper tape, wire mold and zip-ties:
Thx for these Gunkk, I'll check these spots out even though they should not be an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
I have nothing to add here other than the second T in the title looked like an I when I first read it!

the first line of the post doesn't help any..........