Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #57
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Been a while since anyone seen this one.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:21 AM   #58
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Good repost since this is exactly what I am trying to figure out.

On this setup, you are looking at the 80mm pulley for 93 octane to 700whp or e60 to about 750whp? Does that sound right?

Do you think that with the 80mm pulley on race fuel you could run it close to 800whp, or would you go to the smaller pulley and race fuel, maybe the 75mm pulley?

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #59
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
Good repost since this is exactly what I am trying to figure out.

On this setup, you are looking at the 80mm pulley for 93 octane to 700whp or e60 to about 750whp? Does that sound right?

Do you think that with the 80mm pulley on race fuel you could run it close to 800whp, or would you go to the smaller pulley and race fuel, maybe the 75mm pulley?
You can expect about 10% increase on power over pump fuel at E-85 and a little less % at E-60

As I have explained to you, you are limited to about 750 on E60 and your fuel system is done.

On race fuel higher numbers are easily supported by your fuel system likely up to about 850 RWHP.

Ted.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #60
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
You can expect about 10% increase on power over pump fuel at E-85 and a little less % at E-60

As I have explained to you, you are limited to about 750 on E60 and your fuel system is done.

On race fuel higher numbers are easily supported by your fuel system likely up to about 850 RWHP.

Ted.
What boost level do you think we need to run to get 850whp on race fuel? Are you thinking 11-12psi gets us there? That's the target because I think it gets us into the 9's pretty easily. That's the magic number to reach 1000HP to the crank.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 09-18-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #61
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
What boost level do you think we need to run to get 850whp on race fuel? Are you thinking 11-12psi gets us there? That's the target because I think it gets us into the 9's pretty easily. That's the magic number to reach 1000HP.
16-17 PSI
Old 04-27-2021, 12:29 AM   #62
James Montigny
That guy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
So this package has been around a while and you've had it installed in plenty of cars to gather data. Are stock pistons holding up OK? Is the internet theory that they can't handle this much boost absolute BS, as long as your tune is on point?
James Montigny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:33 AM   #63
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Montigny View Post
So this package has been around a while and you've had it installed in plenty of cars to gather data. Are stock pistons holding up OK? Is the internet theory that they can't handle this much boost absolute BS, as long as your tune is on point?
Hello James, You are correct, it's BS,

We have been involved in thousands of builds and NEVER broke a piston because we are so detail oriented in making sure everything is right before we begin tuning.

We stay away from Meth injection, and make sure the Direct injecton fuel supply is capable of the intended power.

We never chase numbers, we know what pump gas will handle and what it won't, we know what the limits are of the fuel systems.

We have many 750 RWHP packages on stock long blocks but cam blower headers fuel system E-60.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:57 AM   #64
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The "Internet Theory" is based around pump gas and meth horror stories. These engines won't live long on that combination pushed very hard. The meth provides a false sense of security being it increases Octane and lowers incoming air charge but it actually increases cylinder temps...let alone the potential distribution and pump issues. this is bad news for a tight ring gap motor. Between the high compression and tight rings, you really need Ethanol to pull heat out of the cylinder. water injection injection is also a option but Nobody runs that because you don't see any power gains from it and you are still relying on a fertilizer pump to keep your cylinder temps in check.

Basically it's going to come down to the fuel you plan to run. If you are limited to pump gas then you definitely will want a cam to bleed off some dynamic compression. If you have E in your area and you allocate the "cam" money towards a fuel system then you can make some good reliable power without needing to get into the engine right away. I have been running FI for almost 4 seasons now with no issues. The car traps 135 off a second gear launch full weight on a 20" drag radial. No meth or supplemental fuel. Just a Whipple w/ 3.375 pulley, Fuel system on a E50 blend, and a couple bolt-ons.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #65
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I'm guessing this exact package may not be available anymore unless Ted has some 2300 Maggie's sitting on the shelf. You may have to go with a Whipple or 2650 Maggie these days.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #66
James Montigny
That guy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Hello James, You are correct, it's BS,

We have been involved in thousands of builds and NEVER broke a piston because we are so detail oriented in making sure everything is right before we begin tuning.

We stay away from Meth injection, and make sure the Direct injecton fuel supply is capable of the intended power.

We never chase numbers, we know what pump gas will handle and what it won't, we know what the limits are of the fuel systems.

We have many 750 RWHP packages on stock long blocks but cam blower headers fuel system E-60.

Hope this helps.
Helpful and straightforward, as always. Thanks Ted.
I was looking at the combo trying to understand why anyone would drop $15k on parts and spend that much time wrenching (or paying someone to wrench) just to choose not to drop the pan and swap in forged pistons as insurance while they are in there. Then the obvious struck me ... it's because it isn't needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The "Internet Theory" is based around pump gas and meth horror stories. These engines won't live long on that combination pushed very hard. The meth provides a false sense of security being it increases Octane and lowers incoming air charge but it actually increases cylinder temps...let alone the potential distribution and pump issues. this is bad news for a tight ring gap motor. Between the high compression and tight rings, you really need Ethanol to pull heat out of the cylinder. water injection injection is also a option but Nobody runs that because you don't see any power gains from it and you are still relying on a fertilizer pump to keep your cylinder temps in check.

Basically it's going to come down to the fuel you plan to run. If you are limited to pump gas then you definitely will want a cam to bleed off some dynamic compression. If you have E in your area and you allocate the "cam" money towards a fuel system then you can make some good reliable power without needing to get into the engine right away. I have been running FI for almost 4 seasons now with no issues. The car traps 135 off a second gear launch full weight on a 20" drag radial. No meth or supplemental fuel. Just a Whipple w/ 3.375 pulley, Fuel system on a E50 blend, and a couple bolt-ons.
Yes, thank you.
93 is readily available and e85 isn't nearly as scarce as I expected.
Lots of good options and things to consider.
I'm trying to make sure that I do this right the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I'm guessing this exact package may not be available anymore unless Ted has some 2300 Maggie's sitting on the shelf. You may have to go with a Whipple or 2650 Maggie these days.
The page text was updated to offer 2650s a few weeks back.
James Montigny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:28 AM   #67
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
The page text was updated to offer 2650s a few weeks back.[/QUOTE]

Even better. My 2300, as well as the rest of my Super Street Brawler package has been flawless for 2years & 12k miles, but I'll probably upgrade to the 2650 when/if my 2300 craps out.
I wonder what the average lifespan is for aftermarket blowers? The only issues I've read about seem to br related to manufacturing defects. It's hard to believe that anything spinning that fast wouldn't have bearing issues at some point.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #68
ZO6Ted
Old badass

Drives: 14GMC 2.9 16GMC Turbos 2020Silv.6.2
I'll probably find out in time on my 2.9 Whipple DD work truck. 49k mi since here, however I don't really beat it up that much.
ZO6Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:00 PM   #69
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Quote:
I wonder what the average lifespan is for aftermarket blowers? The only issues I've read about seem to br related to manufacturing defects. It's hard to believe that anything spinning that fast wouldn't have bearing issues at some point.
Eaton based SC units at <15 psi boost go 100K without problem. Only real durability concern comes from items like the "dry" 3 pin input shaft coupler which hasn't been validated for the aftermarket. Fortunately the coupler is pretty cheap to replace anyway.

www.toohighpsi.com

2015 Corvette Z06 M7
2021 Porsche GT4 M6
2023 Corvette Z51
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:11 AM   #70
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
The page text was updated to offer 2650s a few weeks back.
Even better. My 2300, as well as the rest of my Super Street Brawler package has been flawless for 2years & 12k miles, but I'll probably upgrade to the 2650 when/if my 2300 craps out.
I wonder what the average lifespan is for aftermarket blowers? The only issues I've read about seem to br related to manufacturing defects. It's hard to believe that anything spinning that fast wouldn't have bearing issues at some point.[/QUOTE]

If you change the supercharger oil every 100K several hundred thousand Miles is doable. LOL