Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 09-18-2021, 06:22 PM   #1
whynotlikemike

Drives: 2018 Camaro
trying to remove the secondary cats from the primary.

I have disconnected the entire exhaust. I cannot get the driver side secondary cat to slide off. I have the top weld snapped off, and the clamp off. I can't figure out how to get it slid off.

How did you all do it?
whynotlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
SHessler

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE [Shock]
I had a rough time of it, but after supporting the exhaust near the end and middle, I was able to use a big rubber mallet to just hammer on the pipe to get it to slide off the slip joint.

Ex Spec Miata driver.
SHessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #3
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Factory rtv job is rough. I kept prying on the joint with a screw driver and worked it all the way around, along with some banging and man handling. Took a while to get through it for me. I wasn't worried about saving either side however as it all got replaced
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:20 PM   #4
whynotlikemike

Drives: 2018 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHessler View Post
I had a rough time of it, but after supporting the exhaust near the end and middle, I was able to use a big rubber mallet to just hammer on the pipe to get it to slide off the slip joint.
Yes! This worked! Thank you! 3 minutes propping it up and done!
whynotlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
BlackKnight2SS18
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 2SS Redline
I just cut them all off. Both primary and secondary. Straight Kooks in to a full Borla Atak system.

Once you go to the trouble to pull it off... leave it off and put something better performing and sounding in it's place.
BlackKnight2SS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:08 PM   #6
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Mine was really difficult the first time I took it off also. I got mine to slide off a little and then it would just stop and I couldn't figure out what was going on and I was hammering and prying on it everywhere. I then realized part of the cat was getting hung trying to pull it back towards the rear of the car on the black painted heat shield that protects the transmission shift linkage.

But like everyone else said, it takes man force. Also the flakey graphite seal stuff in that joint can become dislodged when you take it out and it will leak if it does and probably throw a low voltage code for being lean, so watch out for that.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote