Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-28-2021, 05:39 PM   #1
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
ARP SS HEADER BOLT INSTALL ON ALUMINUM HEAD

Well fellas, I had an interesting time installing my new ARP SS header bolts. It has been a while since I did any horsepower modifications on a car. Actually, it was back in '79. An LT1 350 in my 64 Chevelle. Things have come a long way with Chevy - and me, too lol! Anyhow, to the story.

I had a hell of a time getting these header bolts to start in the head. I had such a difficult time, I was afraid of cross-threading them. So, I put a ratchet on them to get a couple threads in and then (now this whole time, something was niggling at by brain that I was doing something wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on it) I put the air ratchet to it and hit the trigger. It went in about two or three turns and seized. OOPs! Tried to back it out, a couple threads and seized, again. Well, I got it out with about 1/4" of thread embedded in the bolt. So, I chased the hole with anti-seize compound and all is well. Yep, that's what I forgot. Anti-seize compound makes the medicine go down. So, I chased all the holes and all went well from there. But, the weird thing is I felt I was cutting thread in every hole.

I talked to Tim at Weld - yup - ordered my S71's w/ bead locks in the rear. So, we got to talking about my travails with the header bolts and he told me a very interesting story. He is hooked up with G FORCE and ProCharger and a few others (he races his hopped up SS with four figures to the wheels). So, he tells me I'm not the only one that this has happened to. He proceeds to tell me that he and some others have looked closely at this issue and they found that the exhaust holes in the LT4 (maybe others?) are actually tapered to some slight degree. Couple that with aluminum's dislike of stainless - well, I already ran that down.

So, lesson learned: anti-seize and no power tools when working with aluminum.

The tapered hole thing seems strange to me. But, I know I was cutting some thread while chasing the holes. What say you fellas?
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:36 PM   #2
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I've always stuck with factory gaskets and hardware when doing headers, new of course. Never a single problem doing so.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:07 PM   #3
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Fast View Post
I've always stuck with factory gaskets and hardware when doing headers, new of course. Never a single problem doing so.

The only reason I went with ARP is because the car ate two exhaust bolts. Over $8.00 per bolt from Chevy - I thought BS!. I will remember your words.
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:28 PM   #4
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
stainless stage 8 here on 4 (1 was my dads 2013 zl1) cars no issues
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote