Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-18-2021, 10:48 PM   #1
NewCamaroSSowner

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS convertible
New Exhaust Help

I own a 2011 Camaro SS convertible automatic so it has a L99 engine in it. I am wanting the exhaust to be louder. I also would love to have better gas milage with premium over $3 a gal now. The factory mufflers were already replace before I bought the car with some type of Borla can't tell which ones no markings is there anyway to tell? The car is stock other than that has 20,000 miles on it. Not sure if its worth adding long tube headers and high flow cats I don't really care if i get extra horse power its a daily driver not a track car. I don't want to do cat delete because I heard the smell is bad and this is a convertible. I really just want a deeper or louder sound and better gas mileage would be nice. I am considering a resonator delete with a x pipe or H pipe or straight pipe, but I am afraid the AFM will ruin the sound. I am not sure I want to tune it out would hurt the gas mileage more and most of the muffler shops here advise to not put on headers and that there is no such thing a high flow cats, which if there are would require a tune. So could I get some advise from everyone on what they would do? Thanks for the advise in advance.
NewCamaroSSowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this so please don't take it that way, if you bought this car for gas mileage you bought the wrong car. That said, if you want louder, more power, and if you can keep your foot out of it, a little more mileage, then long tube headers are for you. You will need a tune as long tube headers will effectually throw a CEL. However, you're not losing power with high flow cats vs catless pipes (maybe 1 rwhp). If you're concerned about AFM/DOD noise, check into Solo Performance for catback systems. They're affordable, quality, awesome sounding exhaust systems that don't drone. Start from the front of the car and work your way back on exhaust though. If you get too loud you can airways out something back, but the headers will gain sound and performance where anything after the cats are purely sound gains.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Even shorty headers, hi-flow cats and some nice mellow mufflers....like Borla Touring....you'll sound really nice. But a tune is key. Yes you will pick up some hp...but the tune dials thing in more efficiently and you can/will gain better gas mileage. At least I did....even with long tubes.
OR, page2:
You can leave it stock and still get a tune. Again, it will improve your cars performance and gain better mileage.
Just a few things to think over.

Good luck
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
CamRellim

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Whatever you do. Get a tune from dynosteve
CamRellim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:24 PM   #5
NewCamaroSSowner

Thanks for the help still not sure yet what I will do. I know I don't want to delete cats totally because of the rotten egg smell. I have been reading where there is not suck thing as a high flow cat too. I am hesitant to add long tube headers because I'm afraid it will be to loud and I that I will have problems from them down the road like leaks, the added horse power from long tubes isn't really necessary for me just a added bonus. I wasn't expecting Prius gas mileage but I am averaging 14.5 city and highway combined and thought I would at least get 16 to 17. I have since found out that I have Borla axle back exhaust because the Atak and S type are printed on the muffler and this one doesn't have either of those. I am wondering if I just delete the resonator and put in a X or H pipe, leaning towards the H because heard it gives deeper sound and more low end toque, if that will get it loud enough, I do like the tone it has now, but worry about the AFM noise. Aslo I plan on adding a CAI probably the Cold Air Inductions since on a thread here they did the best job improving the performance without needing you to modify to install.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
Brazensol

Drives: 2013 2SS
You like the sound but wouldn't mind a bit louder. Gas mileage seems to be your priority so why not keep it as is and get the tune for better efficiency (depending on the price of such a tune)? The money you save on any other mods will buy a lot of gas...
Brazensol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #7
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
You like the sound but wouldn't mind a bit louder. Gas mileage seems to be your priority so why not keep it as is and get the tune for better efficiency (depending on the price of such a tune)? The money you save on any other mods will buy a lot of gas...
÷1
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
+2..
Old 03-20-2021, 08:14 PM   #9
NewCamaroSSowner

I have been thinking of doing a resonator delete and adding solo high flow cats so I wouldn't need a tune, however some have said that they will still give you a CEL and the price of the solo cats over $700 is in the same range as long tube headers. I got a price of Speed engineering headers and exhaust install with a tune for $1727 good deal? Not many places around here want to even do the work. I am afraid if I modify it to much I might have a hard time selling it down the road in a few years.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #10
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
And so it begins........
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:52 PM   #11
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCamaroSSowner View Post
I have been thinking of doing a resonator delete and adding solo high flow cats so I wouldn't need a tune, however some have said that they will still give you a CEL and the price of the solo cats over $700 is in the same range as long tube headers. I got a price of Speed engineering headers and exhaust install with a tune for $1727 good deal? Not many places around here want to even do the work. I am afraid if I modify it to much I might have a hard time selling it down the road in a few years.
The big issue you'll run into is that with the EPA doing what they're doing lately, you might have a hard time getting anyone to install headers without high flow cats.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #12
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
If youre not worried about added hp by doing headers then buy a quality catback. Stainless Works has a deeper tone and since your a vert drone isnt a concern. Borla and Cora are top dogs in the exhaust dept but they may be louder then you want.You wont get a cel with Solo hi flow cats on a 2011. It seemed to be on 2013 and up if I recall correctly.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #13
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
When I had the Solo HFC's on my 2011 L99 I kept getting a CEL, even with the O2 extenders, so that prompted me to finally do the LT's and not look back. Shoulda done them in the beginning. But I did end up selling my Solo HFC's after that. They were only on the car for about 6 months.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #14
NewCamaroSSowner

I thinking of trying a resonator delete with a H pipe since that makes it lower sounding than the X and keeping my borla touring axle back. That should increase the sound level and keep it lower and not raspy? If I do decide to go to pull the trigger later on my the headers, I want to keep some type of high flow cats because a delete would leave a rotten egg smell I am told.