Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
Cheap track set up musings...

Just a random thought I figured Id put out for comment.

Front C7Z wheels are 19X10 et 43.

So consider cheap used front c7z wheels with a 20mm spacer set, they even make the Goodyear Supercar 3 in a 285/35/19

Is this a solid idea for someone who might only do 3-4 track days a year?

Or is it dumb because:

1. spacers on track are bad
2. a thicker tire up front but no in the back will negatively change handling characteristics

Discuss.
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasbagoat View Post
Just a random thought I figured Id put out for comment.

Front C7Z wheels are 19X10 et 43.

So consider cheap used front c7z wheels with a 20mm spacer set, they even make the Goodyear Supercar 3 in a 285/35/19

Is this a solid idea for someone who might only do 3-4 track days a year?

Or is it dumb because:

1. spacers on track are bad
2. a thicker tire up front but no in the back will negatively change handling characteristics

Discuss.
Bottom line:
If someone only does 3-4 days were year, then just use your OE setup.

Additional thoughts-
1. Spacers on track are not bad, though you need to be sure you have adequate wheel stud thread. Using a 20mm spacer with C7z wheels requres longer studs. I've used spacers for years on track in with many different vehicles.

2. The cost of 20mm spacers, longer studs, and used c7z wheels is likely more than a set of good offset Apex or MRR wheels.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Marshsram

Drives: 6mt
They don't make the supercar 3 in 285/35-19- only 285/30 and 305/30-20. In any case that's not really the issue because you can run other sizes with a shorter sidewall and smaller overall diameter. It'll look a little goofy but should work plenty fine. There are already a few guys on here who have moved down to 19" wheels because there are more tire options.

I've never had any issues using spacers on my M3 on track but it would worry me a little more on the 1le because it's heavier and generates a little more mechanical grip. If you did try it I would monitor the studs closely and be mindful of any abnormal vibrations coming from the back of the car on track.
Marshsram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Marshsram

Drives: 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Bottom line:

Additional thoughts-
1. Spacers on track are not bad, though you need to be sure you have adequate wheel stud thread. Using a 20mm spacer with C7z wheels requres longer studs. I've used spacers for years on track in with many different vehicles.

2. The cost of 20mm spacers, longer studs, and used c7z wheels is likely more than a set of good offset Apex or MRR wheels.
Agree with everything said here.
Marshsram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
Good thoughts, have access to a next to free set of c6z wheels so I was turning the idea over but it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
Bottom line:

Additional thoughts-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsram View Post
They don't make the supercar 3 in 285/35-19- only 285/30 and 305/30-20. In any case that's not really the issue because you can run other sizes with a shorter sidewall and smaller overall diameter. It'll look a little goofy but should work plenty fine. There are already a few guys on here who have moved down to 19" wheels because there are more tire options.

I've never had any issues using spacers on my M3 on track but it would worry me a little more on the 1le because it's heavier and generates a little more mechanical grip. If you did try it I would monitor the studs closely and be mindful of any abnormal vibrations coming from the back of the car on track.
you are correct, I mistook the asymmetric 3's for super car 3's.
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I've done 6 track days now and frankly the stock set up absolutely rocks. No need to pay for wheels etc at all. Unless you're a top dog already and wish to squeeze in more pace out of the car. But frankly, getting a set of Cup2s on stock rims might be a cheaper option here. Bottom line: this car STOCK is as fast as my ex C5 track car on R comps, which is pretty incredible to me. No need to change a thing except for fluids. Just have fun!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #7
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Guys this car is incredible completely stock. Do a few tracks as is and then come back to reevaluate to see if you really do need to change anything.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Guys this car is incredible completely stock. Do a few tracks as is and then come back to reevaluate to see if you really do need to change anything.
Words of wisdom! Even stock pads are pretty damn good!
Old 07-21-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
You are over thinking it. Pick up a set of Apex wheels if you want a dedicated track setup. The price point is unbeatable. With that said, the stock stuff is pretty good...

Fluid swap
Dedicated pad swap
Track Alignment

Those 3 things should get you through a year of track time if you only go once a quarter. Expect to replace the tires every year at that point though.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Agreed 100%. For pretty much every skill level a completely stock 1LE is able to be satisfying. If you're able to immediately get the maximum out of the car and want more pace then you'll be experienced enough to know where the low hanging fruits are. For everyone else, chances are the "driver mod" will be much more effective than going straight for different tires.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
The stock set up is brutal on tires. I have done 5 track days and a weekend of USCA competition and I have 15500 miles on my car and I have demolished two sets of G3's. They have been great but I definitely want a dedicated set of track wheels/tires in 18 or 19" with my stock rims used for street driving. You only get about 5000-6000 miles off of a set if you leave it with track alignment. That gets expensive imo.
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
This 100%. The car is absolutely amazing stock!..... and I'm still on my stock pads. First car that I have literally zero things I dislike about how it performs on track.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #13
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beast View Post
This 100%. The car is absolutely amazing stock!..... and I'm still on my stock pads. First car that I have literally zero things I dislike about how it performs on track.
Ditto here! This car is amazing right out of the box (plus track alignment). And IMO the stock G3 tires are as good as R-comps. And the price is right! I have gone to Carbotech XP10 pads tho as I preferred better bite.
Having said that, stock Ferodos are plenty capable and a better choice if the car will only see a few track days per season.