Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
Coquitopappi

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Can you switch 1ss door panel to zl1 door panel?

Hey guys I just have a quick question that i am having a hard time trying to find the answer to. I currently own a 2018 1SS and my car did NOT come with the ambient lighting, Im not interested in getting the ambient lighting. I just want to get the suede interior door panel. My question is, if i get a hold of a zl1 door panel that already comes with the ambient lighting and suede. Will it fit on my 1SS?
Coquitopappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
The lighting will not work.

Takes a lot of work for the lighting to work. There is a thread on the forum I remember reading.

The suede door panels will swap over but you will need to keep the 1SS wire harness and window switches.

I have swapped my 1SS door panels for ZL1 panels.
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeJATT View Post

Takes a lot of work for the lighting to work. There is a thread on the forum I remember reading.

The suede door panels will swap over but you will need to keep the 1SS wire harness and window switches.

Didn’t know about the window switches having to be swapped, if the panels were cheaper I’d totally swap for some more leather

If the lighting trim bothers you, you can remove it and put in your original trim with no issue. I bought just the silver trim off someone to make my own lighting
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
Coquitopappi

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Yea I was thinking just that, since again I don't care about having the ambient lighting, I just want the suede door trim. When you swapped out yours, was it hard? is there anything that you recommend when trying to switch something out? or is pretty straight forward?
Coquitopappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeJATT View Post

Just wondering why the wiring for the windows and door locks would be any different. Shouldn’t they be exactly the same on every single Camaro from a base LS turbo 4 to a fully loaded ZL1 1LE?
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #6
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Just wondering why the wiring for the windows and door locks would be any different. Shouldn’t they be exactly the same on every single Camaro from a base LS turbo 4 to a fully loaded ZL1 1LE?
That’s GM engineering for ya, probably had a reason to do so but IIRC someone did it first and some of their controls didn’t work properly like the mirrors adjustment. But when they switched door harness it worked fine
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
If you are wanting the suede knee pads GM accessories has a black suede knee pad kit that replaces the knee pads on the doors and on the sides of the console. The 2016 2SS I bought new had the black suede knee pad option that was dealer installed. They looked good in the car!
Old 06-25-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
GM accessories part number #84095815.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #9
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
The wiring is different because the wire harness for zL1 has me worst seat. So even though harness can plug in it will not work.

Trust me I tried it lol ..

Also the button switch wasn’t working. I ended up just swapping it. It wasn’t hard at all.

Here’s the thread on how to add the light to 1SS .

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482871

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 12:06 PM   #10
Clearly_Canadian

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
where can you find ZL1 door panels for an SS without having to search for a wrecked one? ZL1's are scarce around my hood.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:52 AM   #11
The Blackheart

Drives: 2019 SS/1LE Riverside Blue, Z/28s
I believe there is a pretty good YouTube video out there on this swap.
The Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:01 AM   #12
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
The wiring and options you "don't have" originally are not just plug'n'play with other versions probably because cars are all CANBUS now and hitting a window switch doesn't just send 12v to a window regulator motor. It probably sends a signal to the BCM which controls the motor. Ditto for the ambient lights, etc etc.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote