Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-31-2022, 03:47 PM   #29
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
To be more clear, you can change before the intake and after the manifold. A tune would as it overwrites the ECU. A CAI is fine. Cat back exhausts are usually a safe bet as well but some aftermarket warranty companies are pure thieves. You don’t have a factory warranty on a 10 year old car. Read it and if you have questions call them. Places like car shield or whatever they go by now try and deny everything. I work at a BMW dealer and the service writers HATE dealing with them.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:44 PM   #30
Camaro23$$

Drives: 2013 ZL1 & 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
5 year warranty on a 10 year old Z?

Insofar as voiding your warranty, you'll have to read it to know. Simple bolt ons is an obtuse phrase, as it could include pulleys, cat delete, etc.
Ya they gave it to me as part of the deal. IDK if its BS or not but It covers everything like a factory warranty supposedly. But I’m about to say eff it anyways lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZL1 View Post
Get a buddy line them up and you will find out which is faster.

Just do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
To be more clear, you can change before the intake and after the manifold. A tune would as it overwrites the ECU. A CAI is fine. Cat back exhausts are usually a safe bet as well but some aftermarket warranty companies are pure thieves. You don’t have a factory warranty on a 10 year old car. Read it and if you have questions call them. Places like car shield or whatever they go by now try and deny everything. I work at a BMW dealer and the service writers HATE dealing with them.

Ok, thank you for the info. Its not a factory warranty but its not through the aftermarket places either. Its through the dealership and they explained it to me like it was just like a factory warranty but only through them meaning I have to take the car there for any issues. Not any other dealership. Only Autonation dealerships. Who knows. Maybe is BS like all the rest out there?

I read somewhere the exhausts on the ZL1’s were good stock and didn’t need to be changed. But headers yes.?

2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3, GPI SS1 Cam, GPI Cam Kit, LS9 Head Gasket, Upgraded Valley Cover, Upgraded Crank Bolt, Lifter Trays, CHE Trunnion Kit, BTR Platinum Valve Springs, GPI Hardened Push Rods, GPI Phase Limiter, Upgraded Lifters, Corsa Dual Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, Headers.
Camaro23$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 05:15 AM   #31
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
The brakes, suspension and infinately more attractive nose are the right reasons to choose the ZL1. It wasn't built to be a drag racer. Obviously can be though. I'm still amazed at being able to throw 4000 lbs into a 90 degree turn at 40mph.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:25 AM   #32
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
As the a previous owner of a 2010 SS, 2013, ZL1, and present owner of a 2017 ZL1, I will say I have to agree with the OP. But there is a reason why the SS feels faster. Much the same reason a 1972 Nova SS feels faster than a 2010 Camaro SS. A lower level of suspension, stability, steering, and braking will always make that car feel faster. At 100 mph my 2010 SS felt like I was going 100 mph. The 2013 ZL1 felt like I was going 60. The 2017 feels like I am going 40.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:26 AM   #33
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
My way of looking at is the ZL1 will have collector value a lot sooner. than an SS

GM built it to be docile enough for your wife or GF to hop in take it for a shopping trip and not kill herself

Not sure if the 5-20 fuse pull works but put some high test in it and go play with the driving modes button.
102SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:05 AM   #34
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
You can't really compare a modified car vs. a stock car. Its apples vs. oranges. It should not be hard to get a 'SS to go quicker in a straight line than a ZL1.

The difference will be in the engineering. The magnetic shock suspension, with the selective performance program settings, even tires and exterior louvers set apart the ZL1 from the SS that isn't easily equalized by modification.

I feel that one should enjoy their camaro as it is. Its a bit silly to compare the different models. The 'SS will be a legend in its own way just like the ZL1.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:52 PM   #35
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Bolt-ons, pulley swap, and e85 on the ZL1 and that will make a cammed SS super boring to drive. The ZL1 is a different animal with factory parts that are made to take abuse with some very simple mods that can be done in your garage with basic hand tools.
2014 ZL1 M6: Roto Fab Intake, LS3 TB, Long Tube Headers, NPP, Mild 2 Wild, JMS BAP, SMG aux pump, ID 1050X Injectors, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, 10.5" DSX Lower Pulley, Killer Chiller, Tuned by Ted at JRE, Pedders XA Extreme coilovers, Mickey Thompson Street S/S on Weld S71s
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:03 AM   #36
d kings z28

Drives: 2014 white z28
Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro23$$ View Post
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression once you touched a specific thing and changed it, that the warranty will not cover that whole part of the engine etc? Could be wrong. If thats the case and it wont void then ill mod away! Problem is if I do lets say headers and or CAI then I have to get a tune which would definitely void the warranty I would think?
So did you ask the dealer what you can an can’t change ?
Old 04-04-2022, 11:07 PM   #37
Camaro23$$

Drives: 2013 ZL1 & 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutale arancia View Post
The brakes, suspension and infinately more attractive nose are the right reasons to choose the ZL1. It wasn't built to be a drag racer. Obviously can be though. I'm still amazed at being able to throw 4000 lbs into a 90 degree turn at 40mph.
For sure! It’s a sexy and awesome car for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
As the a previous owner of a 2010 SS, 2013, ZL1, and present owner of a 2017 ZL1, I will say I have to agree with the OP. But there is a reason why the SS feels faster. Much the same reason a 1972 Nova SS feels faster than a 2010 Camaro SS. A lower level of suspension, stability, steering, and braking will always make that car feel faster. At 100 mph my 2010 SS felt like I was going 100 mph. The 2013 ZL1 felt like I was going 60. The 2017 feels like I am going 40.
Ya for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
My way of looking at is the ZL1 will have collector value a lot sooner. than an SS

GM built it to be docile enough for your wife or GF to hop in take it for a shopping trip and not kill herself

Not sure if the 5-20 fuse pull works but put some high test in it and go play with the driving modes button.
Definitely. I will try the fuse pull when I run this tank of gas out and put in some good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
You can't really compare a modified car vs. a stock car. Its apples vs. oranges. It should not be hard to get a 'SS to go quicker in a straight line than a ZL1.

The difference will be in the engineering. The magnetic shock suspension, with the selective performance program settings, even tires and exterior louvers set apart the ZL1 from the SS that isn't easily equalized by modification.

I feel that one should enjoy their camaro as it is. Its a bit silly to compare the different models. The 'SS will be a legend in its own way just like the ZL1.
I definitely love them both for totally different reasons. They are like 2 totally different cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
Bolt-ons, pulley swap, and e85 on the ZL1 and that will make a cammed SS super boring to drive. The ZL1 is a different animal with factory parts that are made to take abuse with some very simple mods that can be done in your garage with basic hand tools.
Will be happening at some point. IDK about E85 as idk how hard that would be to get around where I live. But definitely the bolts ons and such!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d kings z28 View Post
So did you ask the dealer what you can an can’t change ?
I didn’t. I may just say screw it and do stuff anyways. It’s not like im not drag racing my cars and beating the piss out of them. I just love to drive them. So im sure im not gonna break anything anyways. I like to keep my stuff nice. Not run it into the ground.

2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3, GPI SS1 Cam, GPI Cam Kit, LS9 Head Gasket, Upgraded Valley Cover, Upgraded Crank Bolt, Lifter Trays, CHE Trunnion Kit, BTR Platinum Valve Springs, GPI Hardened Push Rods, GPI Phase Limiter, Upgraded Lifters, Corsa Dual Exhaust, Cold Air Intake, Headers.
Camaro23$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:38 AM   #38
Little Walter

Drives: ZL1
There are many modified SS's that will beat a stock ZL1 and they should if they are modified making more horsepower, as someone else mentioned compare apples to apples.
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:58 PM   #39
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I didn't read the thread but if the ZL1's heat exchanger fluid is low or has a bubble in it the ZL1 is a turrrd.

IAT2 temps skyrocket and it pulls a ton of timing
Old 04-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #40
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
I am thinking the ZL1 is just a smoother ride therefore has deceptive speed. No way an SS could beat a ZL1
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote