Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-30-2021, 09:34 PM   #1
mpd659

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
2013 Camaro ZL1 tire load index question

I have a 2013 Camaro ZL1 with 285/30ZR20 99W in front when I bought the car used. They are only about 8 months old. One is leaking air and I took it to discount tire and they told me the tire isn’t rated for my car and the load index isn’t enough and is dangerous to drive with them on it and if they removed it they weren’t able to put them back on because of it. So they want to sell me two new tires for like $630 out the door with a 104 load rating.

From my understanding, if the car weights 4120, but let’s say it weights 4800 lbs you divide that by 4 and each tire should be handling 1200 lbs on each corner. So, if the tire is rated a 99, that should handle 1709 lbs each with us well over the car. But less that what comes from GM on stock tires.

What do you all think?
mpd659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:12 AM   #2
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Are you sure they weren't talking about speed rating? They wouldn't put 265's on my truck because it came from the factory with 245's. Belle Tire had no problem with it.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:32 AM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Both the load rating and the speed rating are numbers in the 9X-1XX range with a speed rating of 104 being very common. Perhaps make sure the tire store is not getting th etwo confused?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
ganthercage

Drives: camaro 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd659 View Post
I have a 2013 Camaro ZL1 with 285/30ZR20 99W in front when I bought the car used. They are only about 8 months old. One is leaking air and I took it to discount tire and they told me the tire isn’t rated for my car and the load index isn’t enough and is dangerous to drive with them on it and if they removed it they weren’t able to put them back on because of it. So they want to sell me two new tires for like $630 out the snaptube vidmate door with a 104 load rating.

From my understanding, if the car weights 4120, but let’s say it weights 4800 lbs you divide that by 4 and each tire should be handling 1200 lbs on each corner. So, if the tire is rated a 99, that should handle 1709 lbs each with us well over the car. But less that what comes from GM on stock tires.

What do you all think?
there is always a safety measure that you have to keep in mind the exact stats isn't always enough with the enviromental changes , okay may be too far but needed for safety, that's my opinion

Last edited by ganthercage; 10-02-2021 at 05:40 PM.
ganthercage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Tire chain stores usually won't excuse a different size or speed rating tire than factory stated. Law suit liability and they want to sell their tires. I've tried, it makes no difference you point out the speed limits and no logical reason to require 200mph tires. Corporate headquarters rules. Load ratings would be another category they could argue. So what if you put 6 very well fed girls in the car and one sitting in the trunk and had a tire blowout. In theory you could sue them for putting under load rated tires on it even though it was all your choices.
A smaller tire store will usually do whatever is reasonable as far as tire choices.
Different diameter tires can make the spedometer and tire slip sensor go nuts so to those that didn't know that, don't change the diameter (how tall the tires are) unless you know exactly what you are doing.
To the OP again don't go back there to argue, choose a different store or buy their tires, saves you aggravation.
Costco also won't budge.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:07 PM   #6
mpd659

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
I have decided to keep the tires that have the 99W load index on the front. Once they wear out, I will get a new set. Thanks you all for the advise. I appreciate the help.
mpd659 is offline   Reply With Quote