Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 08-05-2019, 05:49 PM   #15
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
I've both purchased and sold tracked vehicles, it helps to have service records however many track guys choose to take care of their own vehicles. Like it's been said, most of the time tracked vehicles are better taken care of than some other cars out there.

Keep an Excel spread sheet of everything that's been done to the car maintenance wise. Most track buyers will be ok with track use on cars.
Myself, My build thread is my documentation. I’ve detailed every aspect of the car, tunes, fixes, maintenance, etc. including tracking it however; it will be kept in the family and not sold until I’m ‘gone’ ;o)

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:48 AM   #16
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeau11 View Post

I have officially changed the oil in my '18 more times than I've washed it......

Stop and go traffic & city driving are pretty tough on cars even relative to track driving so I don't necessarily buy the "track is hard on them" philosophy. Hard on brakes and tires? Certainly. Rough on the paint. Sure. I sold my last track car to another track guy. He knew it had been meticulously maintained without reading a page of the 3 inch thick folder I handed him.

I've also seen "garage queens" that get a few hundred miles a year with black brake fluid and the original motor oil. Definitely wouldn't buy one of those!
Stop and go traffic is not relative to track driving.

When was the last time you pulled 1.1Gs or braked 140 to 60 in stop and go traffic. LOL!!!
Old 08-06-2019, 05:36 AM   #17
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post

When was the last time you pulled 1.1Gs or braked 140 to 60 in stop and go traffic. LOL!!!
Or spent the better part of 20 minutes at WOT.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #18
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Quote:

The point is as mentioned earlier that it is also considered "severe conditions" and just because a car hasn't been tracked doesn't mean it's in better mechanical condition.

Also if you've never driven on I-78 in the morning you'd be surprised how many Gs I pull when stopping and how many 80 to zero stops occur.......
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #19
Boost Creep

Quote:
Also if you've never driven on I-78 in the morning you'd be surprised how many Gs I pull when stopping and how many 80 to zero stops occur.......
lol
I hate that road.
Try to avoid it as much as possible. I'll take old 22 if going out past Fogelsville anywhere.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
If you maintain these vehicles, which are warrantied on track as well, do you even need to mention this at all? Why would I disclose something so unnecessary?
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:34 PM   #21
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
it is to be understood that any car like these has been driven aggressively. you don’t see attractive women and think omg she’s so attractive, should definitely be celibate.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #22
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:

So tire wear and brake wear are problems that aren't fixable? Makes no sense at all.

These cars are designed to be used at WOT. I'd EASILY buy a track car compared to a low mileage unicorn that sits in a garage rotting away.

Having said that everyone can buy whatever they want. I have some of those unicorns too. I have cars that I've driven less than 100 miles in 3 years. I will be selling some of those soon but I know how much work I'm going to have to put into it to recondition the car to feel good about selling. I'd sell a track car tomorrow without a worry in the world about it's reliability.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:00 AM   #23
Ittookalongtime

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE Summit White
Tell the truth, hopefully we get the truth. And we decide from there. There’s a buyer that’s right for every vehicle.
Ittookalongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:42 AM   #24
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
So tire wear and brake wear are problems that aren't fixable? Makes no sense at all.

These cars are designed to be used at WOT. I'd EASILY buy a track car compared to a low mileage unicorn that sits in a garage rotting away.

Having said that everyone can buy whatever they want. I have some of those unicorns too. I have cars that I've driven less than 100 miles in 3 years. I will be selling some of those soon but I know how much work I'm going to have to put into it to recondition the car to feel good about selling. I'd sell a track car tomorrow without a worry in the world about it's reliability.
Reread the posts. Running the car on a track affects more than just tires and brakes.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:46 AM   #25
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Quote:
The point is as mentioned earlier that it is also considered "severe conditions" and just because a car hasn't been tracked doesn't mean it's in better mechanical condition.

Well that's just a driver mod lol. Figure out a safe following distance. That is unless you've got those assholes who like to merge into the smallest of gaps when they can.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #26
Boost Creep

Quote:
Well that's just a driver mod lol. Figure out a safe following distance. That is unless you've got those assholes who like to merge into the smallest of gaps when they can.
Bingo!
People will merge whether there's enough room or not.

They want to change lanes so that's what they do, doesn't matter who or what's next to them, they just move over.

They cut you off, and if you protest with a horn beep or light flash to let them know they almost hit you, they then brake check you.

There are many times I'd rather just have a junk pickup with a railroad tie front bumper. Let the games begin!
Old 08-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #27
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Reread the posts. Running the car on a track affects more than just tires and brakes.
I've had track cars with over 20,000 miles of track use and perfect tolerances with 200K on the engine. The race car engine has over 230K on it and was only rebuilt due to a cooling system failure warping the head. One of my other track cars has been a track car since it was rebuild with a new engine/trans (car was a theft recovery) so all of it's ~6,700 miles are track miles - perfect compression and no abnormal wear/etc.

Running a car for short trips on the street on a daily basis is likely to cause more wear and tear than track use. You could suggest bushings will wear out faster, but cars that sit and never move will wear out even faster and any bushing is far more likely to rot from age than usage.

And I addressed breaks and tires because those items you mentioned (G load and braking) are mostly related to those two items - again one could suggest bushings but we already covered that.

Now I guess on these fancy cars the eLSD clutches WILL wear out faster on a track car.. so that could be the one area. One year.. decade? we might find out.

No one will change your mind and you certainly won't change mine based on my decades of experience tracking cars.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote