Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
gmw0181

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Mishimoto Catch Cans Performance

I have 31,700 miles on Camaro SS A8 and this is the amount of oil I have prevented from entering my intake manifold.
mishimoto catch cans
Attached Images

gmw0181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
19SW1LE

Drives: 2018 LT 1LE
Let the fun begin. Let's see how many people here would insist that catch can is a waste of money, does nothing good for your engine, and that etc,etc. Lol.
19SW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
...and the vast majority of that oil would have been combusted. A small amount would have stuck on the valves and intakes. Likely no performance deficit and just needs to be cleaned once in about 10-15 years if you care enough.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
...and the vast majority of that oil would have been combusted. A small amount would have stuck on the valves and intakes. Likely no performance deficit and just needs to be cleaned once in about 10-15 years if you care enough.
I agree, I have no issue with install after the 5 years 60,000-mile warranty on the driveline but I'm not going to fight the dealer if the engine was the let go and then claim it was the catch can.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
is this the catch can that adds vacuum to the egr line or is it just inline with egr tube going to the intake?

I'd be less worried about how much oil it's catching and just grade performance of the catch can on how much oil residue is coating the throttle body and upper intake area that you can easily reach and check.

No oil/gunk == good. The catch can is either working or doesn't have anything to catch in the first place.

Some oil gunk but lots in the catch can .... This is a red flag, you shouldn't be sucking oil into the egr to a significant degree and this is where additional vacuum could be hurting you more than any hypothetical help it is providing. If no vacuum, then other mechanical issues could be at fault.

some oil gunk but not much in the catch can ... catch can is not performing it's job.

Lots of oil and gunk ....problem. Hope you didn't do anything to get the dealer to try and void your warranty.

Obviously if you otherwise properly maintain the car and proactiively clean the intake area ...the catch can is overkill. Though, everyone on this forum has some aspect of the car they go overboard on ...keeping things clean is at least an area where overkill's only downside is a lighter wallet.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Not only is that oil putting carbon on the intake valves and combustion chamber, but it induces detonation. Couple that with carbon "hot spots" causing pre-ignition over time. THAT should be a more important concern on motors with 11.5/1 ratio.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
threetime
*PIMP*

Drives: 2018 2SS
I cannot find one with red silicone hoses.
threetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #8
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
A few things to note following this discussion. ALL Gen 6 camaros are GDI and even the smallest amounts of oil ingested will cause knock retard and if your not running optimum timing advance, power and economy are degraded.

This does NOT burn harmlessly.

Then there is reference to the EGR....none of the engines available in the 6th gen Camaros have an EGR system. GDI engines with variable valve timing use valve timing events to back fill the intake port to re-burn so this is false. Not sure where that rumor came from. GM discontinued EGR systems with the LS6 and LS2 on.

There is absolutely no good from ingesting any oil via the intake air charge.

And if you use a system like our E2-X systems designed just for GDI engines, it flushes and removes much of the combustion by-products from the crankcase before they have a chance to settle and mix with the oil contaminating it and reducing its ability to protect.

Here is an example with over 13k miles on the oil:

Note the comments from the lab tech. Oil can be run 2-3 times as long as w/out, and we also see 8-10% MPG increase on average from eliminating most of the KR that pulls timing.

And on the warranty. out of the 10's of thousands of these we have sold, there has only been 1 warranty claim denied which turned out to be an error on the dealers part once it was repaired. It is impossible for a system like ours, that meets all emission requirements (except in CA) to cause any negative issues.

Hope this helps!!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
And on the warranty. out of the 10's of thousands of these we have sold, there has only been 1 warranty claim denied which turned out to be an error on the dealers part once it was repaired. It is impossible for a system like ours, that meets all emission requirements (except in CA) to cause any negative issues.
So...California CARB law strikes again! How would adding a catch can be bad for emissions? California is so @#$&ing screwed up!
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Elite is correct, removing the oil from the intake air charge is not the only benefit. It helps with detonation issues and lessens the chance of detonation. That along with a cleaner TB and intake manifold coupled with cleaner intake valves and combustion chamber are all the benefits when added up together.

I asked the Chief GM Truck engineer on their thought back in 2015 when I was working with them on some issues on the K2xx (2014+) truck line. The engineers reply was a catch can has nothing but positive benefits, the main reason GM would not approve them is if they rely on the owners to empty a physical catch can it wont get done. Then once the can gets full you take a chance of liquid oil being sucked into the combustion chamber and the issues that can arise from that happening.

It is a gamble now, as long as the vehicle makes it past the B2B or the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty then GM doesnt care as the repairs will not be made on their dime, it will be on the owner at that point.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #11
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
So...California CARB law strikes again! How would adding a catch can be bad for emissions? California is so @#$&ing screwed up!
A catch can has the potential to block the crank case ventilation causing it not to function properly. That happens if the owner fails to maintain the can, or in cold climates, when the can fills to the top with water in only a few days.

If the crankcase is not adequately ventilated, blow by gases will condensate and the motor oil will quickly become contaminated.

That happened to me in the first winter with my 2016. In a matter of days the can filled with water and blocked the crankcase ventilation. The drain oil was so badly contaminated that when I changed it in my closed garage (winter), the air reeked like gasoline and my eyes burned. The oil had only been in the car 1,500 miles.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #12
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
A catch can has the potential to block the crank case ventilation causing it not to function properly. That happens if the owner fails to maintain the can, or in cold climates, when the can fills to the top with water in only a few days.

If the crankcase is not adequately ventilated, blow by gases will condensate and the motor oil will quickly become contaminated.

That happened to me in the first winter with my 2016. In a matter of days the can filled with water and blocked the crankcase ventilation. The drain oil was so badly contaminated that when I changed it in my closed garage (winter), the air reeked like gasoline and my eyes burned. The oil had only been in the car 1,500 miles.
I have used CC for over 10 years and never once had one fill up with water, condensate or anything else in a matter of days during cold weather. My truck is on E85 and even with that in the process I can still go well over a month without emptying the CC.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #13
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
I have used CC for over 10 years and never once had one fill up with water, condensate or anything else in a matter of days during cold weather. My truck is on E85 and even with that in the process I can still go well over a month without emptying the CC.
Good for you. I did.
Name:  82A5DF9E-053F-4E52-91C2-35DA34E91017.jpeg
Views: 1107
Size:  190.2 KB

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #14
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I brain farted and called the pcv system egr. Just replace the terms. Nothing mentioned referenced any function of old school egr
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote