Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 10-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #29
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Ok so here is a short (45 second) video with four examples (each about 10 seconds long) of the long high speed corner 3 where my car is having an issue of some kind. I say "some kind" because the transmission is acting funny (fumbling around) and some sort of warning alarm briefly goes off at the end of each clip as I'm at the Apex of the corner of exiting under near WOT.

I should clarify that I cannot remember if the warning message UPSHIFT REQUIRED... ENGINE PROTECTION MODE ON came up this day or not. This was Aug 8th.
I have no video footage from last Saturday when the warning message came up repeatedly

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 10-16-2020 at 05:28 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #30
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Ok so here is a short (45 second) video with four examples (each about 10 seconds long) of the long high speed corner 3 where my car is having an issue of some kind. I say "some kind" because the transmission is acting funny (fumbling around) and some sort of warning alarm briefly goes off at the end of each clip as I'm at the Apex of the corner of exiting under near WOT.

I should clarify that I cannot remember if the warning message UPSHIFT REQUIRED... ENGINE PROTECTION MODE ON came up this day or not. This was Aug 8th.
I have no video footage from last Saturday when the warning message came up repeatedly
So you got an audible alarm, yet there is no record of it that a dealer can find? That's very unusual imo.

The tranny does seem to fumble around, at one point upshifting then down for a second then up again with not much rpm change. So maybe its software needs to be re flashed, or something is broken? Not an expert here even remotely, but it could be a faulty sensor of sorts, or a harness that has a short somewhere? But, i am reaching for straws here.

It is a long corner, but ive driven longer ones at much higher sustained speeds and the car was just fine. Mind you, not an A10.

The data posted looks reasonable to me, even tho LT4s seem to run a bit hotter vs LT1s (for obvious reasons) and I'd assume so does an A10 over an M6.
Maybe somebody with a ZL1 can chime in here to give first hand opinion.

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:33 PM   #31
GunMetalGrey

So apparently there was a bulletin a while back that some of the automatic transmissions in the Camaro ZL one were over filled with too much fluid from the factory, I’m going to check this next as well as replace the fluid and then test at the track and see what happens
Old 10-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #32
TrackClub

Quote:
So apparently there was a bulletin a while back that some of the automatic transmissions in the Camaro ZL one were over filled with too much fluid from the factory, I’m going to check this next as well as replace the fluid and then test at the track and see what happens
Good idea. Does it mean you have had original factory fill in there all along?
Old 10-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #33
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Good idea. Does it mean you have had original factory fill in there all along?
Yes and I am close to 15 hours on the track so maybe it’s 2 issues

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 10-17-2020 at 10:06 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:04 AM   #34
TrackClub

Quote:
Yes and I am close to 15 hours on the track so maybe it’s 2 issues
Or maybe just one: dirty, sheared fluid. Seems folks that even dont track, change it every 12k miles or so, as they notice notchiness when shifting manuals (which goes away with fresh fluid). Now an A10 will work much harder than M6 imo. So, if you have close to max track days PLUS daily driving, your fluid could simply be way beyond toast.
I'd take it to a dealer and have them change it asap. Given you are not positive re root cause, having a dealer change it is important, as owner's manual specifically says it should be done there for A10 track duty.
Cheers!
Old 10-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #35
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
If you haven’t changed fluid, then do that ASAP. (I thought you already had). I told you my issues earlier, had trans fluid/filter replaced (initial change, 11hrs tack time), and was surprised how much smoother shifts were just around town. Do that first!
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #36
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Or maybe just one: dirty, sheared fluid. Seems folks that even dont track, change it every 12k miles or so, as they notice notchiness when shifting manuals (which goes away with fresh fluid). Now an A10 will work much harder than M6 imo. So, if you have close to max track days PLUS daily driving, your fluid could simply be way beyond toast.
I'd take it to a dealer and have them change it asap. Given you are not positive re root cause, having a dealer change it is important, as owner's manual specifically says it should be done there for A10 track duty.
Cheers!
Is it important for it to be a dealer as opposed to my regular mechanic?
Old 10-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #37
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
mechanic can do it - however 2 things are important - 1) use exact OEM fluid (i would) 2) the process calls for tranny to be filled and then bought up to temp and checked for overfill etc. - make sure the mechanic is well versed with the process .
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #38
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
mechanic can do it - however 2 things are important - 1) use exact OEM fluid (i would) 2) the process calls for tranny to be filled and then bought up to temp and checked for overfill etc. - make sure the mechanic is well versed with the process .
Thank you!
Old 10-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #39
TrackClub

Quote:
Is it important for it to be a dealer as opposed to my regular mechanic?
Check the wording in the manual please, specifically related to chnaging A10 fluid. Under normal circumstances a knowledgeable mechanic could do it with zero issues. BUT, since you don't know what's going on yet, and given the wording in the manual you may wish to play it as safe as possible - any potential warranty claims wise.

This could be as easy as replacing fluid and all goes back to normal. Or, perhaps she was overfilled, you cooked the fluid in addition and the tranny is toast.
Or, something else.

If it were my car I'd follow the manual at this stage, to ensure i dont even remotely close any doors on warranty.

Bottom line: your call sir. Cheers!
Old 10-19-2020, 11:41 PM   #40
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Check the wording in the manual please, specifically related to chnaging A10 fluid. Under normal circumstances a knowledgeable mechanic could do it with zero issues. BUT, since you don't know what's going on yet, and given the wording in the manual you may wish to play it as safe as possible - any potential warranty claims wise.

This could be as easy as replacing fluid and all goes back to normal. Or, perhaps she was overfilled, you cooked the fluid in addition and the tranny is toast.
Or, something else.

If it were my car I'd follow the manual at this stage, to ensure i dont even remotely close any doors on warranty.

Bottom line: your call sir. Cheers!
Thanks TC!
Old 10-20-2020, 07:33 AM   #41
TrackClub

Quote:
Thanks TC!
NP! Another thing to consider (big picture wise) is electronics. Seems an A10 relies on sensors to automatically determine a driving mode (normal vs sport) and that causes it to behave differently regarding holding gears based on G forces etc. So, you really wanna get to the bottom of this before implementing any mods.

Lastly, if you get any alarm/code in the future: dont continue pushing it, but rather do a cool down lap and come in. Just my opinion as far as not making a potential problem any worse.

Fingers crossed for ya you'll get it all sorted out soon.
Cheers!
Old 10-21-2020, 12:14 AM   #42
GunMetalGrey

I took it to my mechanic, and while they determined they could not flush the entire transmission because they lacked the tools, they do believe that it is under filled based on what they saw.

We will see what the dealership says on Thursday when they go check the fluid level before flushing it completely