Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-15-2017, 01:13 AM   #15
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave18629 View Post
Can you expand a little on how it woke up the car? I have a Maggie on my SS with the A8 and running the stock tune and have a ported T/B. What would the seat of the pants test be like? Thanks for the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
Yes please explain or do you have any Youtube links that help us to understand? I daily drive this car so it still needs to run fine on the streets.
A higher than stock stall speed torque converter will drive almost the same as the stock converter at low speeds. It will take a bit more pedal to get it moving from a stop, but not much, just a hair more. You probably wouldn't even know it was there until you slammed the skinny pedal to the floor board. That is why I think they are awesome mods! You still retain the factory lock up function as well, so when you're cruising on the highway, you should be cruising at the same RPM you're at currently! Torque converters gain ET by getting you to peak torque as quick as possible, then it keeps the RPM up after the shift by having a higher shift extension. Shift extension is how low the RPM's drop after a shift. In my A4 99 Camaro a stock converter would shift at 6000 RPM, and then drop to around 4200 RPM. My Yank SS4000 would shift at 6200RPM, and then drop to around 4900-5000RPM. So you're no longer lugging the motor at WOT to get back into the power band! Hopefully this helps you guys understand the basic premise of how a torque converter works! Let me know if you have any other questions. Hopefully PRAY will fill in the details of how much his drops on the shift extension in his 6th gen.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:29 AM   #16
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Basically what Tommy said. The converter puts you into your power band almost immediately. The converter passes right through the low rpm "lug" points and puts the car in a better spot for acceleration. You have to learn to be a little more judicious with your right foot in normal driving situations. With the lock up you don't really lose anything mileage wise on the highway.

Shift extension with the converter is a tricky deal. I lock the converter as soon as possible so my shift extension is the same as stock. But the 1/2 shift now only drops about 700rpm opposed to where it used to drop about 1,500rpm. But with these cars and all the gears you are losing mph with the converter unlocked. You need to lock it as soon as you can from my findings.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #17
Bigdave18629

Drives: 2016 White 2SS Vert A8 Maggie S/C
Thank you, probably won't track it just some spirited driving in the hills. Assuming this would help with the lug that is created due to the car wanting to get to the highest gear possible on its own for fuel efficiency?
Bigdave18629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:33 AM   #18
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave18629 View Post
Thank you, probably won't track it just some spirited driving in the hills. Assuming this would help with the lug that is created due to the car wanting to get to the highest gear possible on its own for fuel efficiency?
No. That's the way ever GM trans I've used in the past 30 years has been. You would need a trans tune, or manually shift it yourself to get it to hold gears longer.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #19
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Has the consensus on stall torque converters for the 8L90 changed over 3 or 4 years. I know GMPP still makes one, so if they make one you figure its got to help somewhat.

I know for sure no one will ever convince me that a stall torque converter "adds" power, it can only "take away" power, any time the torque converter is unlocked less hp is going to the tires, instead it goes to making your trans temps hotter.

Its understandable that the 4L60/4L80 stuff desperately needs one since there is only basically 2 useable gears at WOT when on the stock TC.

I guess im different that most people and I find the stock torque converter on the 8L90 seems almost as tight as a 4L60 stall?
cmitchell17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #20
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
So I was curious and on my way home I pulled out HP Tuners and used the DVT tool to force the torque converter to stay unlocked since I wanted to see how it drove. It helps absorb lot with the off throttle on breaks downshift clunking and clancking too.

I turned the draggy on since I wanted to see how it would do with no TC lockup and I just got my fastest 0-60 time ever by about .04 seconds. I know the TCM dosen't lookup at WOT until late second gear by the time its at around 50 mph probably and it slowly slips into full lock.

I hear all the time people say they go faster with the TC unlock but its just hard to believe.
cmitchell17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:14 PM   #21
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I don't know anybody that ever said a stall converter adds power. What it does do is multiply torque. Normally the higher the torque multiplier (STR) the less efficient the converter is up top. So it hits hard and tapers off. However that shouldn't be a issue with 8l90 converters since they are triple disk units that can be locked @ WOT

I believe I mentioned to you a long time ago that unlocking the converter part throttle helps a ton with how the trans behaves. All the part throttle lock up does is slightly improve fuel mileage at the expense of drive-ability. Any vehicle I have ever tuned, I disable lock up until the final gear.

I also run mine unlocked @ WOT because the stock converter is tight and I run a taller tire...so it helps with shift extension. my Dragy times are faster unlocked.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:29 AM   #22
OniCamaro

Drives: Camaro V6 2017
Can someone please explain to me what is locking and unlocking of a torque converter? How do you do it?
OniCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #23
KingLT1

8l90 converters lock at both part throttle and wot for improved efficiency. It almost feels like another upshift but it's not. Imo it makes the transmission feel annoying like it's always shifting and more jerky. In the transmission/torque converter/apply/release section of HPtuners you can adjust the TCC settings for "Speed" and "Full throttle". If you change the settings so the converter stays unlocked it will flare up a few hundred more rpm on tip in throttle to accelerate. It also hits harder from a roll that way. The caveat is you lose some efficiency and a little fuel mileage. You also get a slight increase in trans fluid temp but not enough to be of any concern.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #24
Skyman2112

Drives: 2016 2SS blue velvet w/blk stripes
So what converter is best for occasional drag racing on a mostly street driven car with drag radials. Do you need to have the transmision reprogrammed?
Skyman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #25
KingLT1

3600 is a good all around NA converter. Yes tuning will be required.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:39 AM   #26
rlg2014SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS Red Hot
Circle D torque converter

Can anyone tell me the diameter to get for a stall converter? Looking at one that is 2600-3200 and is 11.5 diameter so its for my car which is a 2014 Camaro SS that is supercharger with 600 RWHP? All help is appreciated just never went down the stall converter road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlg2014SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #27
rlg2014SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg2014SS View Post
Can anyone tell me the diameter to get for a stall converter? Looking at one that is 2600-3200 and is 11.5 diameter so its for my car which is a 2014 Camaro SS that is supercharger with 600 RWHP? All help is appreciated just never went down the stall converter road

Sorry didn’t mean to post here, was trying to ask for help which now i see is in the wrong place, my bad

rlg2014SS is offline   Reply With Quote