Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #15
Krawl

Drives: Looking...
Also PDR. Can that be added and is it worth it? Seems like a few GoPros running 1080p would do just about the same thing minus the onscreen telemetry?

-Krawl
Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #16
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
No PDR can’t be added to a Camaro that doesn’t have it! You have to get one with the PDR option. Do a search on Cars.com in your area and I bet there are some out there. Some of the suspension parts are different on the ZL1 vs ZL1 1LE and the wheels/tires are 19 inch as compared to 20 inch on the ZL1. The ZL1 1LE has a carbon fiber wing spoiler also and the 2019 ZL1 1LE was the first year for the A10 auto transmission.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #17
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawl View Post
Thank you for the feedback.

What is the main difference between the non and the 1LE's? I know the seats and tires but both are mute points. We are a Corbeau dealer and would swap the seats. The tires, I am sure would get swapped once they wear. Ideally, I would do a track set and a road set anyway. What is the issue with the brake fluid??

Now a stupid question, can you build a SS to look like a ZL1? Just like that supper aggressive style...

-Krawl
SS 1LE has an upgraded, stiffer suspension setup and also has magnetic shocks, an eLSD, upgraded brakes, etc. It also includes HUD and recaro seats. You could sell the seats if you don't want them. It would be nice to start with the 1LE package for your purposes, and if you want to move to a fully adjustable race suspension you can sell the old parts (there are people looking for them, people with stock SS who want the 1LE parts).

Brake fluid...most will switch to something like SRF if you are going to track seriously. Pretty easy to boil the stock stuff in hot conditions.

PDR...good for basics, but not super customizable and a gopro will be much more versatile if you really want good video.

Can you get the ZL1 aero parts and put them on an SS? Yes you can, check out websites like wildhammer motorsports and phastek, the parts are available, even up to and including the entire front clip. It's expensive though and a lot of people theorize about doing the conversion, before they get their car. After is a different story. If you do get an SS 1LE, you will probably just learn to like the look and won't feel the need to convert the entire front to look like a ZL1.

If you are sure you will go forced induction, it probably does make more sense to get a ZL1 though. That way you get the LT4 fueling system which can handle the increased flow.

Last edited by protovack; 09-09-2019 at 04:36 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #18
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
The biggest bonus with the PDR is you can plug the file into the Cosworth Toolbox program and get all sort of telemetry data. Anything from coolant and oil temp to suspension travel at each wheel. I don't have PDR, a GoPro and the TrackAddict app have been enough for me.

Biggest drawback to the ZL1 1LE is the DSSV shocks - they're amazing shocks, but run some pretty stiff springs. No selectable suspension stiffness in the ZL1 1LE. SS 1LE and ZL1 have mag ride, and are actually decently comfortable in tour mode.

SS 1LE is the best bang for the buck track car you can buy new. If you want more power with a factory warranty, ZL1. If you want a fast track car that sacrifices some road manners, ZL1 1LE.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #19
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I personally think you would probably do best by buying a ZL1 1LE, or a ZL1 at the very minimum if you can do without the eLSD.

Yes, you CAN make a SS very fast, especially with F.I. -- but you will spend alot less in mods doing it to a ZL1, literally some of those folks are changing pulleys and pushing over 800 horses. Basically you are starting off with a platform of which you barely have to touch to make big numbers out of.

So you may spend more for the 'car' but after that, you will spend ALOT less making a ZL1 fast as opposed to making an SS fast.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #20
LT4Greg

I completely agree with you Need4!!��
Old 09-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #21
Krawl

All good points! Thanks guys..

Mag ride... yeah no clue. I have not read into it but understand the concept. Honestly, I would not care to much either way. Track it for a bit, learn the car, and then swap to coilovers front and rear. That way it would be more my comfort zone and I can dial it in.

What is the trackaddict app? I have a $4K shop computer that I can see everything the car is doing in real time. Not sure on the wheel height but I also dont want that big computer in the car on the track. I am sure I can read history on it after a track session and see what it was doing though... I am assuming. I plan on either building or buying a rollcage for it and would add GoPro mounts to it. We have enough of those laying around here for sure.

So, seems like a ZL1 1LE is the way to go. Now just to find one in Auto! LOL anyone got one that they are willing to trade a really nice, go anywhere Jeep 4Dr for? LOL

Thanks guys. I am sure I will have more questions later.

-Krawl
Old 09-09-2019, 04:51 PM   #22
19SW1LE

Drives: 2018 LT 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I personally think you would probably do best by buying a ZL1 1LE, or a ZL1 at the very minimum if you can do without the eLSD.

Yes, you CAN make a SS very fast, especially with F.I. -- but you will spend alot less in mods doing it to a ZL1, literally some of those folks are changing pulleys and pushing over 800 horses. Basically you are starting off with a platform of which you barely have to touch to make big numbers out of.

So you may spend more for the 'car' but after that, you will spend ALOT less making a ZL1 fast as opposed to making an SS fast.
ZL1 non 1LE also have an eLSD.
19SW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #23
Krawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19SW1LE View Post
ZL1 non 1LE also have an eLSD.
So both the ZL1's have the eLSD? Nice...

And just did a Cars.com search within a 200 mile radius. It came up with only 2 ZL1's and neither a 1LE. LOL

-Krawl
Old 09-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #24
LT4Greg

If you were looking for a M6 ZL1 1LE Rick Hendrick Chrysler Dodge in Duluth Ga has a white one for sale with around 6200 miles for a good price. It is a 6 speed though.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #25
LT4Greg

Don’t know what part of South Carolina you are located but check it out on their website!
Old 09-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #26
LT4Greg

I found my used 2017 ZL1 on Cars.com back in early March in Greer South Carolina about 4 hours away from where I live in Georgia!
Old 09-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #27
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Also, not to rain on the FI parade but a lot of people who've never driven a 6th gen camaro are quite "sure" they want to go forced induction. But I'd say drive an SS 1LE and then tell me whether you "need" forced induction. The OP said he was coming from a Charger, remember. FI is not always the best for intense track driving, and it makes everything more expensive. Staying naturally aspirated can allow you to spend less on brakes and tires and still have just as much fun. There are lots of people out there tracking their SS 1LE regularly, having a blast, and posting amazing times, without a supercharger. I think a lot of times people coming from larger cars, old muscle cars, etc, look at the ZL1 and think thats what they need and skip right over the SS 1LE which to many is the perfect combination.
Remember he also said he may be interested in autocross, and in autocross weight is the enemy and in fact, the most successful camaro there, at least from what I've heard on these forums is actually a 2.0T LTG. So, it all depends on what you want to do.

OP, you are coming from larger, heavier cars. You want to do track days. Maybe autocross. You want a nice weekend mountain car. Sounds to me like you want an SS 1LE.
I mean, I could make you an argument to go for a 2.0 turbo and put forged rods and pistons in it and build it to 350 wheel horsepower. Point is, don't assume you need a ZL1. You are on an enthusiast website, you're going to get the "ZL1 or nothing" crowd.

I hear that you are also an enthusiast and enjoy building cars out to their absolute limit. And if thats what you NEED to do then sure, get a ZL1 1LE and have at it

You don't want to miss out on the purity that is the SS 1LE though. I don't have mine anymore, but when I did, it was beautiful. There is just something wonderful about a naturally aspirated big V8. Heck to some, supercharging is like a violation of some unspoken rule.

Also, you said you wanted a "fun weekend car to take up through the mountains." I guess it depends on what you mean by that. I wouldn't want to take a fully built ZL1 1LE on a leisurely mountain road trip. I'd rather take a stock non-1LE SS that rides cushy, has the regular (read: comfortable) leather seats, etc.

Remember a car built to the hilt for the track is going to be great....at doing...that. Not so much anything else. To handle the power you are talking about, you'll need track specific pads and rotors. Are you going to maintain multiple sets of pads and rotors too? You aren't going to be leisurely winding through mountain passes with super track pads that won't heat up because you can't get them hot enough...see where I'm going?

What exactly is this car going to do most of the time?

Last edited by protovack; 09-09-2019 at 06:15 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #28
LT4Greg

The SS 1LE doesn’t come with the A10 auto either as standard or an option and he is wanting a Camaro with that transmission! The ZL1 and ZL1 1LE have that option so that’s the reason I mentioned getting either model of the ZL1. He is planning to supercharge anyway so the LT4 has all the good internals for boost so it’s a no brainer to me. And I’m not trying to push the ZL1 on anyone but I know what they are and how they perform since I came from having a 2SS to a ZL1! I think I would have more experience about them than someone who has never owned one.