Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-29-2022, 04:21 PM   #1
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
V6 1LE brakes

Is anybody who's tracking a V6 1LE using aftermarket brake rotors or pads?

The OE parts from the dealer are expensive. In my limited research, I haven't found good options. I want pads that are as good as the OEM compound for hard track use, and that do well when cold for A/X and street use. The V6 1LE has a brake system that is uncommon (SS front rotor, base rear), and to my knowledge doesn't have aftermarket support. Please tell me I'm wrong.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:08 PM   #2
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
GLoc will make any pad you need. I put them on the day prior and take back off the day after and use them for track only, high brake dust but they work great. Don't forget the SRF fluid.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:56 AM   #3
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
If you want OEM parts get them from Rock Auto, I get my replacement rotors for my SS 1LE there. They are $700 each from the dealer, $800 (shipped to APO!) for the pair on Rock Auto.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Thanks for the input. I looked at Rock Auto, GLoc and a few other sites. At GLoc I didn't see any listing for 6th Gen Camaros, but they may have products available if I call. Anyhow, I don't want to pad swap for track events: I'm looking for a dual-use pad, like the OEM, but cheaper.

It looks like my non-OE dual use pad options are the Dynamic Friction Track Pads at Rock Auto and the Stop Tech Sport pads from Tire Rack. The Powerstop Track Day pads aren't made for my rear brakes. I found a Camaro 6 track day review of the Dynamic Friction pads, used on an SS, and they were reported to be fine on a track that's not hard on brakes, but not up to the task on a more demanding track. However, given the lighter weight and lower power of my V6 car, the Dynamic Friction pads may work out fine for me. They are affordable.

As for rotors, Rock Auto has GM parts cheaper than the dealer, and a whole bunch of other brands that I assume are no better. For more money, I can get cryo-treated high carbon Centric or Stop Tech rotors. I figure the cryo rotors will last longer, but I have no idea if they'll perform any better.

Anybody heard about Callahan brake pads?
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2022, 12:43 PM   #5
CarolinaMaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro LS (V6) 1LE
What did you end up buying?

I also have a V6 1LE and am looking for a rotor/pad set front and back, for dual use. Dynamic Friction seemed like a good deal on Rock Auto compared to OEM.
CarolinaMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:12 PM   #6
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Would the stock replacements not be:
Front: 171-1107 ($177 Rock Auto)
Rear: 171-1191 ($94 Rock Auto)

It seems the rear sliding caliper, single-piston rears are specific to Camaro and, true, options are very limited as opposed to the front. Given the compound is Brembo HP1000/1 (a.k.a. Ferodo DS Performance), you could jump to the DS 2500 up front and remain the OE/stock compound in the rear. The DS 2500 is the OE compound, just amped up a little for track (much better pedal feel, similar modulation, tiny bit more heat tolerance, similar bite, touch better life). Kinda expensive for the small bump though:
FCP1334H: $420 in the US and $280 from Europe (I've sourced Ferodo pads from Europe and the cost in shipping isn't bad).

If just casual tracking here and there, and with the street driving and autox, I'd just stick with OE pads and make sure to bed them well.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #7
CarolinaMaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro LS (V6) 1LE
Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply.

I was just on RockAuto wondering if the 171-1107 was the correct front.

It looks like the OE Rotors then would be:
Front: GM GENUINE 1771158
Rear: GM GENUINE 1771209

I wonder if going with cheaper rotors from AC Delco / Centric / Dynamic Friction would pair ok with the OE pads.
CarolinaMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 06:18 PM   #8
wilbur_xmas

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
When I wore out the stock brakes on my V6 1LE I used the stock pads with Centric GCX rotors. The Centrics were about 1/2 the cost of the OE rotors and held up incredibly well through 6 track days of using the OE pads (no lip at all when running fingernail from braking surface toward hub on either front or rear). At the time Rock Auto was the cheapest with the total cost coming in just under $530 for full rotors and pads.

Front rotor: CENTRIC 32062154C GCX Elemental Protection; Partial Coating; High Carbon Content; Cryogenically Treated ($50/each)
Rear rotor: CENTRIC 32062127 (Standard Replacement) GCX Elemental Protection; Partial Coating ($38/each)
Front Pad Pair: GM GENUINE 1711107 ($156)
Rear Pad Pair: GM GENUINE 1711191 ($84)

I would have no reservations of running Centrics with the stock pads again if I still had my V6 1LE. I think the suggestion above of trying the DS 2500s might be worth exploring assuming you can get a set for the rear as well. Availability of decent rear pads sucks for the I4/V6 1LEs unfortunately.
wilbur_xmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 11:35 PM   #9
Roostie
all it takes is cash

I got EBC Bluestuff pads and I've been happy with them on the street and at two track days, including today with braking from 130+ to about 40 for Turn 3 at Auto Club Speedway. I thought they might be harsh on the street like Hawk HP Plus that I've used on other cars, but they are quiet and work fine when cold (but cold is relative here in San Diego).

My rotors were a mix because I couldn't find a desirable matching set from any source. I got Centric High Carbon rotors front and Centric High Carbon cryo treated for the rear.

Last edited by Roostie; 11-05-2022 at 11:38 PM. Reason: add detail RE track performance