Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 08-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #1
ChevyMike

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 6-speed
Exclamation Rear End Weight Transfer Squeak

Hey guys, just made an account on here to hopefully find a solution as to why my camaro is making this awfully annoying squeaking sound on the passenger side rear from what I can hear. The camaro has 26,000 miles on it.

So far, I'm able to hear the squeak under these circumstances:
- Sometimes when I change gears, rear end squeaks briefly.
- When I tap the throttle and let off immediately after, repeating this process several times enough to make the car constantly buck like a bull, it squeaks consistently every time in the rear.
- Under hard acceleration, or mild acceleration, it squeaks consistently as well, which led me to believe that it is indeed a weight transfer squeak.
-Sometimes, and yes only sometimes, it will squeak when you bounce on the passenger side of the trunk area near the taillight with all your weight, which I found to be odd how that only happens sometimes.

I originally thought it had to be a bushing, so I went ahead and checked and the only thing I thought seemed out of place was the upper trailing arm, so I replaced both on both sides and the squeak did not go away.

Then I thought it was my shocks, and since I have the optional magneride suspension I wanted to rule this possibility out last cause that would be the most expensive potential fix. It also doesn't sound like it's a shock problem.

I then read on various threads in the forums about how some people had issues with the rear seat latch being loose or something along those lines, so I checked that and it was fine. I'm positive the squeak is exterior but it was worth a shot for peace of mind.

The only thing I have left to check is what seems to be the infamous brake line isolator squeak behind the rear wheel liner that everyone seems to be talking about, and apparently there are three spot welds that Chevy did not complete from factory that I also did not check, saving that for last as well.

I thought it could possibly just be diff fluid, but the squeak doesn't happen when I turn unless the car is bucking and the weight is transferring, so I'm not sure changing that will solve anything.

All in all, I'm desperate and would appreciate any info I can get on this.
ChevyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
Fire260

Drives: 2019 Camaro LT1
Maybe a swaybar bushing? take some WD40 and spray a little on each rubber to metal point, see if it goes away.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:42 AM   #3
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
Try describing this noise a bit more. Is it more of a creaking sound than a squeak? Squeaking makes me think plastic where creaking would be more metal related.
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
ChevyMike

It's more of a creak then. It definitely sounds like metal on metal, and what doesn't make sense to me is how it happens more often than not when I change gears, mainly lower ones. Primarily happens during weight transfer tho.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
ChevyMike

Would sway bar bushings produce metal on metal sounds tho? Cause that's what it sounds like to me. I will definitely try this tho.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
Are you able to get the back end up to take a look underneath? I heard about a 6th gen owner that heard creaking from the rear end during various maneuvers, usually in a parking lot when they were driving slow enough to hear it. Turns out the alignment shop found a broken weld on the rear subframe when doing an alignment, and this allowed the slightest bit of movement during weight transfer to produce the creaking sound. Once it was welded back up, the sound never came back. I am not sure which weld this was, but maybe do a visual inspection for this. They can be hard to see, just look for a hairline crack in anything welded.
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:58 PM   #7
ChevyMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam765 View Post
Are you able to get the back end up to take a look underneath? I heard about a 6th gen owner that heard creaking from the rear end during various maneuvers, usually in a parking lot when they were driving slow enough to hear it. Turns out the alignment shop found a broken weld on the rear subframe when doing an alignment, and this allowed the slightest bit of movement during weight transfer to produce the creaking sound. Once it was welded back up, the sound never came back. I am not sure which weld this was, but maybe do a visual inspection for this. They can be hard to see, just look for a hairline crack in anything welded.
yeah I will check this out as well. I also got a lead that it might be a rusted axle nut or a faulty trigger for the gear shifter and the solution for both is to just clean it and add grease..I'll post more on here once I check all this out
Old 06-24-2022, 01:29 PM   #8
schoenmaro55

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE
OP @chevymike -- did you ever find the cause of this? I have the EXACT same issue as described.

Attached in the following video, here is the noise you are talking about:

https://youtu.be/2kxmKpP_cJ8

(It starts at about 5 seconds on --- use headphones or something really good to hear it in full).

I've been to 3 shops:

Shop 1 - Couldn't figure it out and gave up -- no charge.

Shop 2 - Blamed it on my Eibach Lowering Springs and put in some rubber noise isolators on the front springs which did absolutely nothing and the sound is coming from the right rear, not the front. - $210.00

Shop 3 - Blamed it on my AWE Axleback Exhaust and had no solution of a fix -- no charge.

Going to a 4th shop next week, it's extremely frustrating. Very curious if OP or anyone found a solution!

2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE Riverside Blue "Midnight"
schoenmaro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #9
Danew_377
Chief Bief

Drives: Nightfall Gray Camaro 1SS
Check your axles namely the cv joint and the torx screws that hold it together. I’m getting that now on the passenger side where all six screws were loose enough for me to hear that same noise when you turn the driveshaft. It was shooting grease into my underside in that location.

Hope it helps.

2016 NFG 1SS M6
JLT Intake, LT2 Manifold, LT5 TB, CSP 2" headers, AWE Catback Exhaust, Apex ARC-8 Wheels.
426whp/434wtq
Danew_377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:10 PM   #10
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I had a similar metal on metal squeak - it was the AFM valve. It would do it when lightly accelerating from a stop, and when you were driving through a turn it would come on too as you lifted and pressed the gas. It was just a single squeak, not a constant one. I can't explain that you get it when pushing the suspension though (maybe the valve is binding?). But it checks all the other boxes.

There is a service bulletin #16-NA-003, and the factory fix is to spray a bunch of dry graphite spray into the valve housing through all the holes. Little tiny can is like $20 at the dealer.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:18 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I had a similar metal on metal squeak - it was the AFM valve. It would do it when lightly accelerating from a stop, and when you were driving through a turn it would come on too as you lifted and pressed the gas. It was just a single squeak, not a constant one. I can't explain that you get it when pushing the suspension though (maybe the valve is binding?). But it checks all the other boxes.

There is a service bulletin #16-NA-003, and the factory fix is to spray a bunch of dry graphite spray into the valve housing through all the holes. Little tiny can is like $20 at the dealer.

-Geoff
5.25oz spray can is only $9.95 directly from the manufacturer (drislide.com) and lasts a long time, but of course there's the shipping catch (sigh). Worth it no matter what IMO, I spray down the NPP valves periodically and now they don't squeak at all.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:55 PM   #12
ChevyMike

You won't believe this but it magically went away one day, been several months since I last heard the squeak and I did absolutely nothing to fix it, just been driving my car like normal. Either it was something stupid or whatever was squeaking wore out to the point where it doesn't squeak anymore lol Weirdest thing
Old 03-17-2023, 09:56 PM   #13
ChevyMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenmaro55 View Post
OP @chevymike -- did you ever find the cause of this? I have the EXACT same issue as described.

Attached in the following video, here is the noise you are talking about:

https://youtu.be/2kxmKpP_cJ8

(It starts at about 5 seconds on --- use headphones or something really good to hear it in full).

I've been to 3 shops:

Shop 1 - Couldn't figure it out and gave up -- no charge.

Shop 2 - Blamed it on my Eibach Lowering Springs and put in some rubber noise isolators on the front springs which did absolutely nothing and the sound is coming from the right rear, not the front. - $210.00

Shop 3 - Blamed it on my AWE Axleback Exhaust and had no solution of a fix -- no charge.

Going to a 4th shop next week, it's extremely frustrating. Very curious if OP or anyone found a solution!
My last message was for this ^ sorry