Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-01-2022, 01:08 PM   #15
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I would question whether your dealership actually installed them correctly. I would bet they did not lube the pins or the backs of the pads which is usually why pads start quealing.

I have the PowerStop rotors and Z23 pads for the last 7 months. Work great and no noise. But I did install them myself so I would know it was done correctly.

I am running the Z26 pads on my C6 Grand Sport and they also work great and no noise.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:10 PM   #16
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
Could I get the rotors swapped with where I bought them from if that is the case?

I just called the dealership to see if they can do anything but if not, if I have to swap the rotors I will.

Edit: Called Powerstop, they said most of the time its related to not enough brake lube, or break-in procedure, but the brakes should not be squeaking or squealing. Going to take it back to the Dealer and make them do both. "My mechanic" someone I trust, says also dirty rotors can cause that as well if they didn't clean them when they installed them. I dunno.

Either way I won't be paying for the dealer to fix the brakes, I already gave them $400, next call I have to make is to the FTC & Attorney General's Office, if the dealer doesn't fix the issue. Assuming nothing is wrong with the rotors initially.
Honestly, I would not waste time at the dealership.

If you are able, check the brakes, pads yourself. There are helpful threads here on the forum that show you what to do. That's how I was able to do the rotors and pads on my 2017 Camaro SS.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #17
dray

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 NGM, 2012 Yamaha FZ8
I put on Z26 pads and OEM rotors last winter. Mine are squeaking sometimes at low speed. Seemed to me like they really skimped on the amount of lube they included with the pads. Didn't seem like enough to do the pins and the pads. Planning to take it apart soon and add more lube, when I get time.
dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:23 PM   #18
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
I just put on a front set of powerstop plain rotors, and the Z26 pads. No squeaking at all, nice and smooth braking so far. I did perform the recommended break in though, I'm not sure what skipping it will do. Go out early in the morning or somewhere isolated to do it.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:37 PM   #19
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Honestly, I would not waste time at the dealership.

If you are able, check the brakes, pads yourself. There are helpful threads here on the forum that show you what to do. That's how I was able to do the rotors and pads on my 2017 Camaro SS.
I would if that were possible, but I don't have the tools to work on the car. Or the space where I live for that matter. Small ass driveway
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:07 PM   #20
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i just had my front rotor rings and rear rotors and pads replaced at my buddy shop and oil change and they charged me less than $400 labor
Old 08-01-2022, 02:43 PM   #21
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i just had my front rotor rings and rear rotors and pads replaced at my buddy shop and oil change and they charged me less than $400 labor
Believe me I know.

My mechanic could have done the work for a faction of the cost, but the issue is he's 50 miles away and for him to do it I'd have to take off work, so that's another large chunk of money I lose for the day.

Was trying to alleviate me having to take off work for it. Got burned anyways.

I just got off the phone with the dealership, and told them, I'm dropping the car back off after work today, I expect them to check to make sure the pads and pins are lubricated and that they perform the break-in procedure, and that I will not be paying for it since I already paid $430 in labor already for them to do it right the first time.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
Old 08-01-2022, 03:26 PM   #22
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
What a mess. A simple brake job giving you trouble on a fresh install is frustrating.

IMO, this isn’t limited to the “hard parts” being as much of an issue as the actual attention to detail of the install.

If someone did a flat rate replacement maybe they didn’t clean the pins, lube them properly, or didn’t lube the backing plate.

Akebono pads used by another OEM like to squeal if they’re not seated properly, pins cleaned/lubed and most of all lube in the backing plate.

I’ve done more brake jobs over the decades on trucks, cars, SUV’s, and motorcycles than I’d care to count. I stopped relying on the small packs of lube provided and just use a quality lube that doesn’t limit the amount being applied.

When I installed the Z26 pads with the same rotors you have, there hasn’t been a hint of a squeak.

There’s a chance the pads could’ve been contaminated either by the installer or manufacturer.

Sorry to hear about your experience but this can happen to just about anyone using many different manufactures pads.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #23
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
What a mess. A simple brake job giving you trouble on a fresh install is frustrating.

IMO, this isn’t limited to the “hard parts” being as much of an issue as the actual attention to detail of the install.

If someone did a flat rate replacement maybe they didn’t clean the pins, lube them properly, or didn’t lube the backing plate.

Akebono pads used by another OEM like to squeal if they’re not seated properly, pins cleaned/lubed and most of all lube in the backing plate.

I’ve done more brake jobs over the decades on trucks, cars, SUV’s, and motorcycles than I’d care to count. I stopped relying on the small packs of lube provided and just use a quality lube that doesn’t limit the amount being applied.

When I installed the Z26 pads with the same rotors you have, there hasn’t been a hint of a squeak.

There’s a chance the pads could’ve been contaminated either by the installer or manufacturer.

Sorry to hear about your experience but this can happen to just about anyone using many different manufactures pads.
I'll make sure I tell them that when I get off work today.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:43 PM   #24
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I have personally installed Powerstop products on multiple vehicles without any issues. The issue is likely from not cleaning the rotors with brake clean prior to install. Lubing the pins is also important but lubing the hardware and back of pads is just for break-in. All that stuff washes away with rain and car washes. Also it's important to seat the pads right away...not 100 miles later.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:01 PM   #25
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
The Z26 is an aggressive street pad, you would have been better off going with the Z17. The only way you are going to get them to quit squealing is to bed them. You might have to drive to find a straight road with no traffic. Maybe the answer is 2am out on the highway. Do 10 60-20 semi aggressive brakes then 10 80-20 super aggressive to the point of the ABS kicking on then drive around for 30 minutes without using the brakes and when you park do NOT use the E brake and don't drive through water until they cool down. I don't have Brembos and I assume you do with a SS but I have read some need shimmed and maybe the springs need replaced maybe someone can comment on that.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #26
FlukeSS

Update:

Story Time:

So I dropped the car off last night after work. Obviously not happy, because of past reasons I won't get into with this dealership. Pulled the car in one of the service employees said I can guess why you are brining the car in. I said, Yes the brakes were just done two days ago, and after 150+ miles of driving the squeak and squeal is loud and seems worse.

I told him you guys installed the brakes and you guys are going to fix it, and I'm not paying for it. This MF'er copped an attitude with me, "Why are you raising your voice at me, why are you yelling at me." I said, "First off I said you guys NOT YOU. Stop taking it personally. I said you guys installed the brakes and something is wrong."

He then refused to work with me, which set me off completely. I went to the General Manager. I told him, "This isn't the first time I've been screwed by your company. I said now one of your service employees cops an attitude with me and refuses service? I said I paid $430 for you guys to do a job and it wasn't done right now you refuse service? I wonder what the Attorney General would have to say about that?"

Needless to say he took me to talk to the Service Manager, and I explained to them what happened, that I wasn't upset with the Service Manager, or the GM, but i was upset when their employee copped a fookin attitude refusing service after I already paid for service they failed to perform. I said you guys are one of the biggest dealerships in the state and you guys can't even do a simple brake install?"

So the service employee started running his fookin mouth from 50 feet away and I told him, "I'm standing right here MF'er"

In any case, they took the car, called me 9am this morning and said they fixed the issue.

I asked what was wrong, and they said the clips for the pads was rubbing on the top of the Rotor.

o_0

So yes, they ****ed up the install.

In any case he said, the issue is resolved, and they road tested it and there's no squeak/squealing.

Apparently Chevy Dealers are no longer qualified to work on Chevy's.

Last edited by FlukeSS; 08-02-2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:30 AM   #27
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
It is sad but sometimes you have to go full dumb dumb to get your point across. Like you are an idiot customer that does not know what they are talking about:( Glad you got it taken care of.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:31 AM   #28
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
You wont be able to tell by looking at it but I just wondered in those pads were greased as instructed. Theres really no reason why new pads and rotors should squeak.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote