Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 07-12-2022, 05:00 PM   #1
anwaar404
CatchMeIfYouCan

Drives: 17 1SS(prev), 19 2SS Manual
Failing Emissions Test - 2019 Camaro 2SS M6

Has anybody experienced emission issues with your 6th gen Camaro?

I have a 2019 Camaro 2SS M6 that has failed multiple emissions test recently due to READINESS = FAIL2, more specifically the Catalyst and the Oxygen Sensor. This is my first required emissions for the car and my registration is due at the end of July (most likely will need an extension). At this point, I'm ready to throw the whole car away.

How we got here:
1. Failed emissions (June 20th), was instructed to "put miles on the car"
2. On the same day I cleared out the tank after driving roughly 60 miles and the test failed again. I didnt really think anything of it and figured I would just try a different place at a later date.
3. A week later, I filled to a little over 2/4 tank, drove to Duluth back to College Park (100 miles total) Failed third test...
4. On the same day after the 3rd failed test, I had my mechanic run test to see if he could find the issue but the oxygen sensors were reading perfectly fine in the device he was using. At this point he recommended the dealership.
5. The Catalyst failure is weird because my check engine light should be on if it were really an issue, right?

I only have roughly 35,000 miles on the car. Its not my daily driver anymore as I have been working fully remote since March 2020. Currently its at a local (Union City) Chevy dealership where they told me it could possibly take 2-3 weeks before somebody even takes a look at it, let alone fix it.

Again, has anyone heard of or experienced this?

On the picture, they listed the transmission as an automatic but thats an error..
Attached Images

anwaar404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:13 PM   #2
Keko

Drives: 2023 ZLE M6
Is the car tuned?
Old 07-12-2022, 05:25 PM   #3
anwaar404
CatchMeIfYouCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keko View Post
Is the car tuned?
All stock, GM performance package
Old 07-12-2022, 08:02 PM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Some drive cycles have to have warm up / cool down before they will complete. Others require driving specific number of miles above certain speed within certain throttle settings to trigger.

Can't reset codes either or readiness monitors reset. By same token, can't have dead battery either.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:19 AM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Your report is saying you failed because "car not ready to communicate with on-board pollution controls."
Some info:
https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fi...ack%20Card.pdf
https://deq.nc.gov/about/divisions/a...information#G8

I doubt this is an actual ECM problem.
Was battery recently disconnected? I would check the battery. If battery is going bad it might cause this. My reading says the combo of O2 sensor and catalyst sensor not ready points to weak battery. BTW, not sure what a catalyst sensor is. Is that the post-cat O2 sensor?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:59 PM   #6
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
Tune it for E85...
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:15 PM   #7
anwaar404
CatchMeIfYouCan

Update: I ended up putting it in the dealership, it took them about 6 days to complete the “work”. They said the system needed an update and needed to put at least 200 miles on it. They got me for $150 and at that point I just hoped the car would just pass the damn emissions test finally.

I got a tag extension and put about 300 miles on it over the course of 2 days. Went to go get another test fresh off the road and FAILED. Evaporative System and Oxygen Sensor but the Catalyst passed. I’m taking it back today before they close.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2022, 04:23 PM   #8
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
That readiness is a SOB for getting EVAP ready. That drive cycle is brutal according to GM procedure.

IIRC, there’s a temperature threshold, fuel level, etc. that will stop the readiness from completing. (This isn’t specific to EVAP)

I just did a search and this is what I remember reading a few years ago. It’s rarely discussed by emissions station or technicians at various garages.

https://www.rangetechnology.com/blog...tor_procedure/

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote