#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-18-2022, 01:13 PM   #15
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
I recently went from Aeroforce to Banks and they are all around better display wise (visibility, resolution, and display options).
Did you ever use the manual fan and intercooler pump feature? I certainly wish the banks had that feature, I'd certainly go with them and I think it's more pleasing to the eyes.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:21 AM   #16
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
I have the Aeroforce gauge..was a tough decision on which to get. Only reason i went Aeroforce is the ZL1 faceplate for the gauge. If Banks had it, i would have gone Banks.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:24 AM   #17
Mac7504

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
I have the Aeroforce gauge..was a tough decision on which to get. Only reason i went Aeroforce is the ZL1 faceplate for the gauge. If Banks had it, i would have gone Banks.
Have you used the manual fan function or intercooler pump features? I feel most people either don't know about this or don't run their cars at the track enough to use it. Just looking for feedback
Old 04-22-2022, 10:27 AM   #18
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
Did you ever use the manual fan and intercooler pump feature? I certainly wish the banks had that feature, I'd certainly go with them and I think it's more pleasing to the eyes.
I just use HP Tuners now, but I was only aware of turning on the pump not the pump and fan with aeroforce.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:30 AM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm not sure about anyone else, but even when brand new, my battery wouldn't tolerate storage for more than a couple weeks without a trickle charger without getting low (according to my charger readout). Given that - I'm not sure how much confidence I'd have running accessories off the battery itself. I like the idea of this feature, but it's a little iffy' for my situation.

That's only my OPINION. Ya'll might have differing experiences with the OEM battery.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:36 AM   #20
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Quote:
Have you used the manual fan function or intercooler pump features? I feel most people either don't know about this or don't run their cars at the track enough to use it. Just looking for feedback
i used it once a couple years ago when the gauge was installed. I have used the CEL feature a couple times to clear a code though.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:03 AM   #21
Mac7504

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
I just use HP Tuners now, but I was only aware of turning on the pump not the pump and fan with aeroforce.
Yeah I hadn't looked into whether u could do both at the same time. I will look into this. Even the fan feature would be great while sitting in the staging lanes or pits for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'm not sure about anyone else, but even when brand new, my battery wouldn't tolerate storage for more than a couple weeks without a trickle charger without getting low (according to my charger readout). Given that - I'm not sure how much confidence I'd have running accessories off the battery itself. I like the idea of this feature, but it's a little iffy' for my situation.

That's only my OPINION. Ya'll might have differing experiences with the OEM battery.
Yeahhh, that's something I certainly hadn't considered to be honest. I know on another car even with a deep cycle battery like a yellow top, if I leave my fan switch on for more than 30 mins I'm toast.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #22
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Yeah I hadn't looked into whether u could do both at the same time. I will look into this. Even the fan feature would be great while sitting in the staging lanes or pits for a bit.

Yeahhh, that's something I certainly hadn't considered to be honest. I know on another car even with a deep cycle battery like a yellow top, if I leave my fan switch on for more than 30 mins I'm toast.
Running the fans and IC pump does less than you think. I’ve tried that stunt a number of times in the staging lanes… all I got for my trouble was a “low battery” warning…. Even on my trip to Maryland for the Fall Brawl this past November when it was 39 degrees out! By the time you started the car, finally got to the front of the staging lane for your turn, got to the burnout box, did your burnout, then staged you were right back where you were. Honestly that why I just bought the FI Interchiller.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #23
Mac7504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Running the fans and IC pump does less than you think. I’ve tried that stunt a number of times in the staging lanes… all I got for my trouble was a “low battery” warning…. Even on my trip to Maryland for the Fall Brawl this past November when it was 39 degrees out! By the time you started the car, finally got to the front of the staging lane for your turn, got to the burnout box, did your burnout, then staged you were right back where you were. Honestly that why I just bought the FI Interchiller.
Interesting, thanks for the feedback.

It worked well in another car but I use a manual fan switch which brings down the coolant temps very quickly, even when sitting in traffic. I have Aeroforce units in that car but it's easier with a fan the fan switch. It works well and the only time I've had battery issues was when I forgot to shut it off after parking. And that car has a 2k watt audio system.
I guess there's just too much draw in the ZL1.

Fair point and I will certainly take this into consideration.

Thank you
Old 07-13-2022, 04:11 PM   #24
forcefedjunkie

Drives: '14 ZL1, Duramax H2
Quote:
I'd beg to differ here. I can quickly get my MAT temp down below 130 by running the fan and pump together, then the pump itself after adding some ice to the reservoir. Without this feature the MAT temps will sit above 150 for hours when you're sitting in staging and there is no air flow. Can the Banks even display the MAT temp? For those that don't know the MAT temp is what the ECM uses to determine timing adjustments. If it's too high it will pull considerable timing. Without knowing the MAT I would have no confidence knowing if my car was ready for a run or not. Obviously you have to take common sense measures like not letting the car idle for a half hour after getting it cooled down for this to work. Try pushing the car if necessary.
forcefedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:06 PM   #25
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefedjunkie View Post
I'd beg to differ here. I can quickly get my MAT temp down below 130 by running the fan and pump together, then the pump itself after adding some ice to the reservoir. Without this feature the MAT temps will sit above 150 for hours when you're sitting in staging and there is no air flow. Can the Banks even display the MAT temp? For those that don't know the MAT temp is what the ECM uses to determine timing adjustments. If it's too high it will pull considerable timing. Without knowing the MAT I would have no confidence knowing if my car was ready for a run or not. Obviously you have to take common sense measures like not letting the car idle for a half hour after getting it cooled down for this to work. Try pushing the car if necessary.
Uh, adding ice is just a *little* different setup than the vast majority of the cars on this board. Running ice water will help the situation considerably vs what the rest of us try to do by just running the IC pump.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:03 AM   #26
forcefedjunkie

Drives: '14 ZL1, Duramax H2
Quote:
Uh, adding ice is just a *little* different setup than the vast majority of the cars on this board. Running ice water will help the situation considerably vs what the rest of us try to do by just running the IC pump.
It still works well just not as fast without ice. People have cooled down their cars since the dawn of racing, the key is to take measures not to heat it back up again before a run. I'd bet that many ZL1 owners who race their cars have an aftermarket reservoir. If they don't they should consider it, an inexpensive and simple way to make cool downs much faster and very effective. Does the Banks read the important PIDS like MAT, knock, injector PW, trans temp like the Aeroforce? Does it at least read IAT2? It's not as important as MAT but still nice to know. I don't see the value of an OBD2 gauge that only reads generic emissions parameters.
forcefedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:14 AM   #27
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
I have the af and thinking of going banks. I don’t need the funtiuonality of the fans but do look easier to read. I have problems in bright daylight even with tinted windows, could also be that i chose blue which may not help the issue.
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 04:41 PM   #28
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefedjunkie View Post
It still works well just not as fast without ice. People have cooled down their cars since the dawn of racing, the key is to take measures not to heat it back up again before a run. I'd bet that many ZL1 owners who race their cars have an aftermarket reservoir. If they don't they should consider it, an inexpensive and simple way to make cool downs much faster and very effective. Does the Banks read the important PIDS like MAT, knock, injector PW, trans temp like the Aeroforce? Does it at least read IAT2? It's not as important as MAT but still nice to know. I don't see the value of an OBD2 gauge that only reads generic emissions parameters.
I tried this again today… running the IC pump and the cooling fans with the car off. Did virtually nothing since you’re sitting in the pits in the sun on a big paved parking lot. SO damn hot! Lol. I finally went to the concession stand and dropped two bags of ice on the blower for 30 minutes, cycling the IC pump every 10 minutes or so. I picked up 3 MPH vs the previous heat soaked run!

I’ve got my Banks reading IAT2 and IPW and I’m pretty sure trans temp wouldn’t be a problem. I also read total timing, low pressure fuel, rail pressure fuel, E content, etc. Not sure on MAT. Honestly, at the track I disconnect the Banks and datalog with HPT. Just need more info at the strip than any small gauge can give. But I find the Banks handy for street use, tracking E content, etc.