Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-26-2022, 08:52 AM   #1
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Drive Mode Button Disappears

Gang,

2016 2SS convertible with NAV, now pushing ~11K miles. Have had the car for about two months; so far I have always used the key fob start.

Within the past two weeks or so, on occasion I have encountered where, upon startup, the MyLink screen will simply not display the "Drive Mode" button among the list of choices in "Settings". It's not that it's grayed out, it's simply not there. So unless I re-start the car -- and hope that it re-appears, BTW -- I cannot select how I usually like to shut the thing down in "Stealth", so as to minimize exhaust noise the next morning. No combination of going in and out of Settings, restarting the unit, etc. can bring it back.

FWIW the first time I noticed it was when there may have been something goofy with the Bluetooth connection; I either accidentally turned off BT on my phone as the car was trying to find and pair, or I accidentally hit "Dismiss" as it was trying, or something -- I wasn't really paying attention. Recently I have tried to make sure the phone BT is off before I start up, and now for three days (i.e. 6 startups) I have not had the issue.

Don't know if the car ever had the software update I think I've read about, as it doesn't appear on any of the service records.

It's ironic because, possibly of all the choices in the menu, "Drive Mode" is the SINGLE ONE that I would always want access to.

Anybody else run into this?
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 11:17 AM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Remote start has a known intermittent issue with module activation, and sometimes a few menu options (not just Driving Mode) do not appear, presumably because their associated module(s) didn't wake up in time or initialization skipped them for some reason. There is no known software fix from gm, I have the latest available software for my 2018 and it still has the issue.

The workaround is to press the unlock button before you do the "start sequence" (press lock, hold start) on the fob, that way unlock seems to trigger the initialization earlier, and the rest will be fine. Some people go even further and press lock, then unlock, then lock again and finally hold the start button for two seconds.

This technique works for me 100% of the time, whereas before that, when I simply did what the manual says for remote start, menu options disappeared about one out of 3-4 times.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:27 AM   #3
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Arpad,

GREAT reply on this one. I would say I never noticed if anything *other than* Drive Mode had become unavailable, but I *can* say for sure that I never tried the "extra initialization" step as you describe. I sure will from now on though! Take care.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
BigVic
Speed Racer

Drives: 2022 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
Gang,

2016 2SS convertible with NAV, now pushing ~11K miles. Have had the car for about two months; so far I have always used the key fob start.

Within the past two weeks or so, on occasion I have encountered where, upon startup, the MyLink screen will simply not display the "Drive Mode" button among the list of choices in "Settings". It's not that it's grayed out, it's simply not there. So unless I re-start the car -- and hope that it re-appears, BTW -- I cannot select how I usually like to shut the thing down in "Stealth", so as to minimize exhaust noise the next morning. No combination of going in and out of Settings, restarting the unit, etc. can bring it back.

FWIW the first time I noticed it was when there may have been something goofy with the Bluetooth connection; I either accidentally turned off BT on my phone as the car was trying to find and pair, or I accidentally hit "Dismiss" as it was trying, or something -- I wasn't really paying attention. Recently I have tried to make sure the phone BT is off before I start up, and now for three days (i.e. 6 startups) I have not had the issue.

Don't know if the car ever had the software update I think I've read about, as it doesn't appear on any of the service records.

It's ironic because, possibly of all the choices in the menu, "Drive Mode" is the SINGLE ONE that I would always want access to.

Anybody else run into this?
=============================

I ran into basically the same problem this morning on my 2022 LT1 6-speed manual with the "Drive Mode" button among the list of choices in "Settings" missing. No remote start due to the manual trans, but the option is just not there. This is the first time it has happened. I have owned the car for about 3 weeks. Tried 2 restarts, no change. Tried factory reset, no change.

Like the OP, "Drive Mode" is a choice that I would always want access to.

Is there a fix for this yet, or a workaround on the manual trans cars?

Thanks.
==============================

P.S.-My sig picture is of my (now gone) 2012. Hope to update soon.
Post delivery - FR 41 ZL1 Replica Rims (20x10 Front, +23 - 20x11 Rear, +43), Llumar 28% Tint, Ceramic Paint Coating, Hardwired Uniden R3 Radar Unit and Viofo A129 Dashcam, TMG A-15 (dual) front Laser Jammers
BigVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #5
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVic View Post
=============================

I ran into basically the same problem this morning on my 2022 LT1 6-speed manual with the "Drive Mode" button among the list of choices in "Settings" missing. No remote start due to the manual trans, but the option is just not there. This is the first time it has happened. I have owned the car for about 3 weeks. Tried 2 restarts, no change. Tried factory reset, no change.

Like the OP, "Drive Mode" is a choice that I would always want access to.

Is there a fix for this yet, or a workaround on the manual trans cars?

Thanks.
==============================

P.S.-My sig picture is of my (now gone) 2012. Hope to update soon.
I know this is a little late but I wanted to add that my car (auto) will sometimes do it if it just get in Quick and hit the start button on the dash. I assume its just the same thing where the module just hasnt woke up in time so its not recognized. You could tap the start button and wait a second or two before you push on the brake or the brake and clutch and start it.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote