#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-13-2022, 05:17 AM   #15
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
I thought about this but I saw a CSP video where they said that it doesn't really make much of a difference. So I doubt that I will pull the headers off to have that done again.
High temp coatings make a HUGE difference, but I agree at this point you've already installed them, I wouldn't pull them just to have them coated again, best thing for you to do is what you've already done, just work around it. My headers are Jet Hot 2500f coated and they stay cool enough that you can touch them with your hand even at full operating temp. I wouldn't leave my hand on them but it makes a massive difference in temps.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:52 AM   #16
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
I thought about this but I saw a CSP video where they said that it doesn't really make much of a difference. So I doubt that I will pull the headers off to have that done again.
Ceramic coating makes a huge difference. Greatly lower temps under hood. And I’ve never heard of coated headers melting wiring. You can touch the headers without burning your hands within a few minutes of shutting off the engine.

*ZOH6 beat me to it. I concur with what he said.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:35 AM   #17
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
High temp coatings make a HUGE difference, but I agree at this point you've already installed them, I wouldn't pull them just to have them coated again, best thing for you to do is what you've already done, just work around it. My headers are Jet Hot 2500f coated and they stay cool enough that you can touch them with your hand even at full operating temp. I wouldn't leave my hand on them but it makes a massive difference in temps.
Thanks. I've done motorcycle headers with ceramic coating and it also made a huge difference.

That's amazing that you can touch them. Did you get the Kooks headers with the coating or did you go with something else and have them coated afterwards?
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:39 AM   #18
Raisin Man

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Protect this harness. We pulled mine to inspect it and we caught it just in time. We’re applying some heat shield. Passenger side under the strut tower.

I noticed that in hard RH corners the dash would go out and sensors would act up. This is definitely the culprit.

Carry the hell on!
A good reminder! I recently had to replace a starter motor (close to the passenger-side collector / header) on an older, modified LS7 due to heat soak, and where she was repeatedly reluctant to crank after driving awhile. A known problem with headers. I also added heat shielding around the starter motor and some exposed wiring and connectors. Connectors had started to discolor because of the heat.
Raisin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:50 AM   #19
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Thanks. I've done motorcycle headers with ceramic coating and it also made a huge difference.

That's amazing that you can touch them. Did you get the Kooks headers with the coating or did you go with something else and have them coated afterwards?
Yes, I got my Kooks 2" headers coated by Jet Hot. I believe if you order them direct from Kooks, they only offer the 1300 coating, I ordered mine through Vengeance Racing and they arranged the 2500 coating. Any coating is better than none though, even 1300 should make a noticeable difference.

Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote