Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
A friend wants me to drive their ZL1 Manual from Ohio to Houston

They called me and asked me if I would be willing to drive their ZL1 back to Houston where they live so it can go back into the garage.

They are paying for everything, air fare to get to Ohio, fuel, everything.

...I've never driven a manual as a DD and not sure that it would be a great idea to start in a ZL1. I've driven a stick a few times here and there but not often enough to say I'm fluent in it. Of course, I can probably adopt pretty quick. I was thinking with the amount of torque that car produces it would be fairly forgiving to stalling.

I just want to know how difficult the learning curve would be to get used to driving it? Its all stock btw.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
actually if you are driving on the highway it's easier than stop and go and you won't be shifting as much anyway.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
Subcool

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
These manuals are easy to adapt to, you should have no problem figuring it out.
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
My first thought is that you should be paying them because it will be awesome to drive a ZL1.
My next thought was that you have a responsibility to let your friend know you have limited to no experience driving a stick. Lol
Reminds me of a 57 Chevy 283 4 speed that I bought with my younger brother. It was not drivable at purchase. We bought it cheap, spent all summer working on it, and when it came time to finally drive it, it was to take to the tire shop for alignment and tires. I drove it there, and my brother wanted to drive it home.
He had NO experience driving a stick, and this car was torquey as hell! I took it to a parking lot for him to practice first.
He did fine most of the way home until traffic came to a stop on a steep hill. The car behind us pulled right up to our bumper to get a closer look at the 25 year old classic!
I cautioned my brother to move quickly to avoid rollback. His first try stalled the engine. I told him more gas this time. He did exactly as instructed and we proceeded to smoke the tires as the car slid sideways before launching. We flew over the top of the hill laughing like hell.
As we coasted to the next stop I said, ‘I guess we won’t need to peel the stickers off the tires.’
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
I can drive stick and volunteer to take your place.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
My first thought is that you should be paying them because it will be awesome to drive a ZL1.
My next thought was that you have a responsibility to let your friend know you have limited to no experience driving a stick. Lol
Reminds me of a 57 Chevy 283 4 speed that I bought with my younger brother. It was not drivable at purchase. We bought it cheap, spent all summer working on it, and when it came time to finally drive it, it was to take to the tire shop for alignment and tires. I drove it there, and my brother wanted to drive it home.
He had NO experience driving a stick, and this car was torquey as hell! I took it to a parking lot for him to practice first.
He did fine most of the way home until traffic came to a stop on a steep hill. The car behind us pulled right up to our bumper to get a closer look at the 25 year old classic!
I cautioned my brother to move quickly to avoid rollback. His first try stalled the engine. I told him more gas this time. He did exactly as instructed and we proceeded to smoke the tires as the car slid sideways before launching. We flew over the top of the hill laughing like hell.
As we coasted to the next stop I said, ‘I guess we won’t need to peel the stickers off the tires.’
The main reason they're trusting me is because I'm the only other performance car owner they know so they figure I'll be respectful to it given I have an SS.

I guess one thing Im afraid of though is... ...after driving it how I'm going to feel about my SS... :(
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I'll drive it down here for them...

...and I have recent experience. Flew to Detroit and drove the ZLE back to Houston.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
They called me and asked me if I would be willing to drive their ZL1 back to Houston where they live so it can go back into the garage.

They are paying for everything, air fare to get to Ohio, fuel, everything.

...I've never driven a manual as a DD and not sure that it would be a great idea to start in a ZL1. I've driven a stick a few times here and there but not often enough to say I'm fluent in it. Of course, I can probably adopt pretty quick. I was thinking with the amount of torque that car produces it would be fairly forgiving to stalling.

I just want to know how difficult the learning curve would be to get used to driving it? Its all stock btw.

Its an excellent way to learn....on someone elses car!!!!Go for it!
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Go test drive a Camaro stick at one of the dealers to see if you feel it's going to be a problem.

Funny you posted this, I got a call from a buddy that lives on a lake in Arkansas that asked if I could help him out and bring his 2013 60th Corvette back to Arlington next month and store it in my spare garage while they pack to move down to the coast.

So it looks like my next trip back home from his house through the mountains will be fun
Old 02-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #10
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
You should be fine as long as you don't hit any snow or ice.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Make sure there’s snow tires on it you never know what you’ll run into. Get something signed and notarized so your not responsible if you get in accident so he don’t sue you. I don’t know how old you are but you better make sure his insurance will pay in case you get in a accident. On my insurance I have a clause in it no one under 25 can drive it or I’m not covered. You may not cause a accident it maybe the other guy. Especially in snow and ice.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #12
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
You should be fine as long as you don't hit any snow or ice.
That would suck, especially if it still has the summer only tires on it...
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #13
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
That is very long drive. I got sick of driving from Michigan to Dallas.
But is your friend drunk? You have very little experience with manual and he asked you to drive his ZL1 for more than 10 hours?

You should tell him to find transportation company lol
Old 02-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #14
SpazmXylam
Because Racecar!

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
You will be fine. By the time you get out of the city you will be plenty proficient. I find the Camaro clutch to be quite forgiving.

Also, I am happy to take your place.
SpazmXylam is offline   Reply With Quote