Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
guitarman8373

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro fully loaded.
For anyone who IS having premature paint fading on their wheels.

I am at a little over 24k miles on my 2016 2SS, so it is still under warranty.

I finally had the time to address the issue with spotty paint fading on every wheel, in random areas of each wheel (has been slowly progressing for over a year now.) They are the low-gloss black wheels, so the fading makes them look like they are dirty and is a complete eyesore even at a distance.

The dealership has taken great care of me and sent tons of pictures to GM as per their request. I heard back recently and they are not going to get the wheels repainted, but instead are going to send me all brand new wheels.

Very happy to see this outcome and just letting people know, it NEVER hurts to ask! If your dealership actually cares, they will do the right thing.

Now if I could only reproduce the rear differential groan for them so they can see i'm not crazy about it making noise during turns and needing the fluid replaced. Seems like the colder weather has put a stop to it, at least for now.

Cheers!
Old 11-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #2
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman8373 View Post

I finally had the time to address the issue with spotty paint fading on every wheel, in random areas of each wheel (has been slowly progressing for over a year now.) They are the low-gloss black wheels, so the fading makes them look like they are dirty and is a complete eyesore even at a distance.

The dealership has taken great care of me and sent tons of pictures to GM as per their request. I heard back recently and they are not going to get the wheels repainted, but instead are going to send me all brand new wheels.

Very happy to see this outcome and just letting people know, it NEVER hurts to ask! If your dealership actually cares, they will do the right thing.

Now if I could only reproduce the rear differential groan for them so they can see i'm not crazy about it making noise during turns and needing the fluid replaced. Seems like the colder weather has put a stop to it, at least for now.

Cheers!
Great news about the wheels Guitarman. Maybe you should get the new wheels clear coated to make sure you don’t have the same issue? Just a thought.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
guitarman8373

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro fully loaded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebernard View Post
Great news about the wheels Guitarman. Maybe you should get the new wheels clear coated to make sure you don’t have the same issue? Just a thought.
Not worth the hassle or price for me.

I mean the car is covered whenever it's not driven so if they fade from normal conditions it should be a while from now, at which point I'd be looking at a new set of wheels or just trading her in when the time comes. Still got a love affair for the Z06 and Zl1.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:

I mean the car is covered whenever it's not driven so if they fade from normal conditions it should be a while from now, at which point I'd be looking at a new set of wheels or just trading her in when the time comes. Still got a love affair for the Z06 and Zl1.
Gotta love options. Cheers!
Old 11-28-2018, 10:11 PM   #5
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:

Cheers!

I had the issue on one rim. Took it in the dealer looked at it and ordered a new rim. When it came in I went in and they replaced it.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #6
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:

I clear coated my rims with a can of clear coat. They just look better with a gloss than semi flat.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:36 AM   #7
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:

Cheers!

Great news on the wheels!

That's odd on the rear end groan. Mine gets worse with the colder weather and always goes away after about 5 minutes of driving.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
I though this would be a quick trip to the dealer but I spent nearly four hours today trying to resolve my wheel fading. The service manager at Novato Chevrolet said he couldn't help and that I need to go back to where I initially bought the car (1.5 hrs away). He claims that it has to be closer to 6 months vs 2.5 years to claim the warranty on the wheels. He also mentioned that because I have "curb rash", it makes it more difficult to claim the warranty. I tried to explain to him that its not 'curb rash' as my wheels were like that when I took delivery of the car. The damage appears to have been from wheel strap buckles during transportation (pressed not scratched) and I have pictures from the day I bought it to prove it.

I then took my car to Victory Chevrolet (30 minutes away/much better dealer) and eventually set up an appointment at the end of February for them to take pictures and submit the claim to GM. Apparently, they need my car for a couple hours to take pictures... Regardless, I'm taking time off work and spending waaaay more time than I initially expected to get this potentially resolved.

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote