Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 02-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
Tha_Infamous_E

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Extremely smooth gearshift?

I recently did a small modification which required me to take off the gear shift knob and leather boot around it. While I was at it, I cleaned the interior corners from dust and shit before assembling the knob and boot back into the gear shift lever. I also noticed there was some lubricant in specific corners which I suppose is to make the shifter work better, however I accidentally wiped some away before realizing what it was for - but this didn’t worsen anything. In fact, after re-assembling everything back, I began to drive and realized the gear shift is actually EXCEPTIONALLY smoother now and moves between gears flawlessly and almost without any effort, damn near feels like I’m hauling a Civic or some lightweight car now. I love the way it feels but I’m not sure if by doing what I did, I could have possibly worsened the condition if I continue to keep it the way it is for the next upcoming years or if I need to re-lube or whatever that area once more and leave any debris/dust that naturally gains in that area? I feel this question I’m asking is extremely stupid and rightfully so, but just to be on the safer side, I’m swallowing my pride to ask this question, so please don’t laugh too hard at me.
Tha_Infamous_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
sadpanda

Drives: 2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT
Seems plausible to me. If they used some cruddy grease or if the grease collects dirt then absolutely... What color /consistency was the grease?

Perhaps a light smear with a top quality synthetic like SuperLube will be just the ticket.
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:32 AM   #3
Tha_Infamous_E

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadpanda View Post
Seems plausible to me. If they used some cruddy grease or if the grease collects dirt then absolutely... What color /consistency was the grease?

Perhaps a light smear with a top quality synthetic like SuperLube will be just the ticket.

It was kinda light whitish-blue from what I remember, I just scooped one corner of the gearshift that had a bit of chunk on it thinking it was dirt then I realized right after what it actually was for - I left the remainder on it, but the gearshift just swifts around like slippery butter, really gives a whole new feeling to the car now, honestly.
Tha_Infamous_E is offline   Reply With Quote