Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-31-2019, 08:45 PM   #15
Korosion

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Whatever.
Perfect statement to show you know zip about wheels.

Move along
lol what?? I simply gave this guy a recommendation based on my experience from APEX wheels. I have zero issues with them they fit perfectly and they are a great track wheel with a great look. No need to be a prick about it.
Korosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:07 AM   #16
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
MRR wheels are hubcebtric and can be had with ideal offsets for the Camaro. They also have some good looking designs and are US made.

I still bought the BMW-spec Apex FL-5 wheels (18x10) and was willing to deal with hub rings and 5mm spacers for the front axle. Why? Lighter, cheaper, 50% discount replacement policy, made in Japan to JWL standards, and I really liked the design.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:11 AM   #17
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Apex will be making 6thgen Camaro specific wheels, but I think they will only be available in the ARC-8 design in 19x10/11/12.

Apex Wheels 6th Generation Camaro Wheel & Tire Fitment Guide
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #18
Korosion

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostie View Post
MRR wheels are hubcebtric and can be had with ideal offsets for the Camaro. They also have some good looking designs and are US made.

I still bought the BMW-spec Apex FL-5 wheels (18x10) and was willing to deal with hub rings and 5mm spacers for the front axle. Why? Lighter, cheaper, 50% discount replacement policy, made in Japan to JWL standards, and I really liked the design.
+1 but I didnt do the hub rings just the 5mm spacers
Korosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:06 AM   #19
DriftNDraft

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE M6 was 2018 V6 RS A8
Looks like the SS 1LE tires need a different control module map than the V6 and SS. See this post. The pertinent quote from an engineer at GM:

Confirmed that we do have two different cals (SS & 1LE) for the speedo. We will have different cals for the ABS/TC/ESC for the different vehicles as well due to the tire and suspension differences. The lowering kit for the SS is meant to work with the SS tires. Should a customer choose to put the 1LE tires on the vehicle, the vehicle will have speed and odometer errors along with less optimized Chassis Control Cals. They may even risk voiding the vehicle warranty with this change.”

Of course the Performance Suspension Kit is designed to integrate perfectly with your stock SS vehicle and cals, but it sounds like the 1LE wheel and tire change is more challenging than even I would have anticipated since there is no “factory” calibration solution available and you would therefore need to find a tuner for more than one of your vehicle calibrations.

I agree the wheels would look great but it sounds difficult to get the exact calibrations needed to realize the desired performance benefits you are seeking.

So, even though this may not be the answer you wanted, hopefully it points you in the right direction should you decide to pursue.

Thanks again for your passion for your Camaro and all your interest in the Performance Suspension kit.

Hope this helps!
"

Since the car is going to be driven street-only, I'm just going to change the square all-season setup to a stock SS (non-1LE) staggered setup. The SS Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 ROFs in those sizes will present no difference in revs/mile at the front and only a 0.5% at the rear whereas the SS 1LE Goodyear Supercar 3s would be off 3.6% at the front and 1.3% at the rear from stock.

Last edited by DriftNDraft; 02-10-2019 at 03:23 AM.
DriftNDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #20
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Hmm. I really disagree. First, a few percent, even several percent, of speedometer error is no problem. Just take a mental note that your speed is different than indicated.

Second, I think the input from the GM engineer is driven by CYA. The ABS and stability control software has a direct link to safety, and potential liability if a customer has a crash that was *arguably* caused by a problem with the software. Therefore, a GM employee will be reluctant to support significant changes systems that relate to the ABS and stability control systems. While software is written with certain tires in mind, when a track-focused enthusiast changes to a wheel & tire that is lighter, wider and grippier, an enthusiast is usually going to be very happy with the results, if the focus is on track use.

I am a hater of the staggered 20" setup with run-flat tires. Harsh and only moderately grippy. I wouldn't pay for it, and I'd even prefer just putting the best summer performance tires that will fit on your current wheels. But that's my idiosyncratic taste, probably not what most would want.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote