Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #71
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
I can't believe you replaced those tires! Sooooooooo much life left in them
Seriously? I might have gotten one more track day out of them, but the grip was going quickly.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:58 PM   #72
Tachitup

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE M6; previous 2018 ZL1
Does anyone have an update on the tread life of the Goodyear Supercar 3R as used at track events? Days / hours. And if someone has first hand experience with the tread life of the 3R relative to the Nitto NT-01 and / or relative to the Toyo R888R that would be great too. Can we please keep opinion, rumor and scuttlebutt out of this discussion and deal with facts only.

Many thanks guys!
Old 02-03-2019, 11:45 PM   #73
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachitup View Post
Does anyone have an update on the tread life of the Goodyear Supercar 3R as used at track events? Days / hours. And if someone has first hand experience with the tread life of the 3R relative to the Nitto NT-01 and / or relative to the Toyo R888R that would be great too. Can we please keep opinion, rumor and scuttlebutt out of this discussion and deal with facts only.

Many thanks guys!
I find our Mustang brothers thread on this topic interested:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...-gt350.112170/

More relatable to the SS 1LE over the ZL1 (weight)
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:45 AM   #74
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post

Be a little careful where (most) people over there start throwing Load Index numbers around (post #2 in particular).

Up to 36 psi, an XL tire needs to be four numbers higher than an SL tire to match the rated load at the same pressure. You'll see this in the PSC2 tables.

Norm
Old 02-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #75
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
Seriously? I might have gotten one more track day out of them, but the grip was going quickly.
You had at least 3 days left... although I've never run a roval course so maybe 2 days for that.
Attached Images

TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #76
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Be a little careful where (most) people over there start throwing Load Index numbers around (post #2 in particular).

Up to 36 psi, an XL tire needs to be four numbers higher than an SL tire to match the rated load at the same pressure. You'll see this in the PSC2 tables.

Norm
No doubt. The main point I take from the discussion on the different MPSC2 305/19 variants is that the Porsche spec seems to last longer. If you read more, the thread gets directed to a trackhq thread where they talk a bit more detail on some things.

There does seem to be some opinions on tires that differ a bit from opinions here.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #77
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:

Many thanks guys!
I asked multiple users on this forum that same question and since I doubt you'll get all of those individuals responding to your question on this thread, you might find the answers I got back useful, if you're interested continue reading below;

*EDIT*

They said it depends on the user, the track and the alignment, but generally the SC3R will last up to 2 track days (6 to 10 twenty minute sessions) before cording, or up to half as long as the SC3's which they said last about 6 track days. Users/members also say they get at least the same length of time out of the NT01's as the SC3's, one driver said he gets 8 to 10 track events out of the NT01's.

Other individuals said that the SC3R's can last up to 3 track days (again depending on the track, the driver and alignment) if they are taken off the wheel, flipped and remounted on the same wheel between track sessions or track days and if larger anti roll bars are used to compensate for the extra grip the SC3R's offer, which make our ZL1's roll more because they don't have the same stiff springs the ZLE's have.

Track times seem to be generally very similar between the SC3's and NTO1's, but 2 to 4 seconds faster for the SC3R's on s 1 minute to 2 minute lap track.

This is the information I've compiled from what I've heard from drivers with hands on experience, I don't have any experience myself with these tires... yet.

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 02-06-2019 at 02:50 AM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #78
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
The wear rate on the G3 vs. G3R is inline with their quoted 200 vs. 100TW.

On my lower torque SS 1LE, I get twice the wear out of the rears than the fronts at ~-2.8F / ~-1.8R camber, on either G3's or G3R's. Rotate side to side on a regular basis, and try to flip fronts on the rim (don't drive in the wet with the sipes backwards).

Number of heat cycles with vary with driver, pace, and track as well.

For example, look at Motorsports Ranch-Cresson (Texas) on the 1.3-mile section. It's nothing but constant turning and braking. It's very hard on tires, brakes, cooling. The 1.7 section is not near as hard on it all. They combine the two into a 3.1-mile configuration.

You'll have to run your local track(s) hard to see what your heat cycle / wear out rates will be tire-to-tire.

Good luck with it, and let us know what you find.

Last edited by RUQWIKR; 02-05-2019 at 08:36 AM.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #79
Tachitup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post

Hey Mountain, thanks for the link. Some great insight there.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #80
Tachitup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I asked multiple users on this forum that same question and since I doubt you'll get all of those individuals responding to your question on this thread, you might find the answers I got back useful, if you're interested continue reading below;

They said it depends on the user, the track and the alignment, but generally the SC3R will last 2 track days (8 to 10 twenty minute sessions) before cording, or up to half as long as the SC3's which they said last about 6 track days. Users/members also say they get at least the same length of time out of the NT01's as the SC3's, one driver said he gets 8 to 10 track events out of the NT01's.

Other individuals said that the SC3R's can last 3 track days (again depending on the track, the driver and alignment) if they are taken off the wheel, flipped and remounted on the same wheel between track sessions or track days and if larger anti roll bars are used to compensate for the extra grip the SC3R's offer, which make our ZL1's roll more because they don't have the same stiff springs the ZLE's have.

Track times seem to be generally very similar between the SC3's and NTO1's, but 2 to 4 seconds faster for the SC3R's on s 1 minute to 2 minute lap track.

This is the information I've compiled from what I've heard from drivers with hands on experience, I don't have any experience myself with these tires... yet.
Hey GunMetal, Thanks very much for summarizing what you've complied. While the R888R and the NT01 may have a longer life, I've found the R888R get's really slow half way through it's treadlife. That's good except if you what to be fast to the last of the treadlife.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #81
Mountain

Quote:
Hey Mountain, thanks for the link. Some great insight there.
You’re welcome.

Some good track rats in the Mustang community. So, it’s worth peeking around there.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #82
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Hey GunMetal, Thanks very much for summarizing what you've complied. While the R888R and the NT01 may have a longer life, I've found the R888R get's really slow half way through it's treadlife. That's good except if you what to be fast to the last of the treadlife.
*EDIT*

You're welcome, I crossed the R888R off my list a while ago when I kept seeing reviews like yours and the fact that the tire is still expensive. I heard it has the same tire compound as the older R888 but has a newer tread design. A number of people I messaged said they knew of people who had tried the R888R and went back to the SC3R after.

I heard similar things about the Pilot Cup 2, not that it lasts as long as the R888R but that it's performance is drastically reduced part way through it's life. Some drivers also said they went to the SC3 after trying the Pilot Cup 2 because they thought they performed similarly after the first few "hero laps" the pilot cup2 put down, but with a huge price difference and longevity difference.

Where in Canada are you from and what tracks are you racing on btw?

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 02-06-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:19 PM   #83
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
The wear rate on the G3 vs. G3R is inline with their quoted 200 vs. 100TW.

On my lower torque SS 1LE, I get twice the wear out of the rears than the fronts at ~-2.8F / ~-1.8R camber, on either G3's or G3R's. Rotate side to side on a regular basis, and try to flip fronts on the rim (don't drive in the wet with the sipes backwards).

Number of heat cycles with vary with driver, pace, and track as well.

For example, look at Motorsports Ranch-Cresson (Texas) on the 1.3-mile section. It's nothing but constant turning and braking. It's very hard on tires, brakes, cooling. The 1.7 section is not near as hard on it all. They combine the two into a 3.1-mile configuration.

You'll have to run your local track(s) hard to see what your heat cycle / wear out rates will be tire-to-tire.

Good luck with it, and let us know what you find.
Tachitup, this is one of the guys I messaged and was referring to!

Sorry I forgot to differentiate between the fronts and the rears, that's a big wear difference!

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 02-06-2019 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:12 PM   #84
Mountain

So, I’m hearing Goodyear is expanding the Supercar 3 real soon and will include:
285/35/19, 295/30/19, 305/30/19, 325/30/19, 285/35/20, 295/30/20, and 305/35/20

Tags
19" track tires for zl1, goodyear f1 3r, nitto nt-01, toyo r888r