Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
Hyprblu

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Fingerprints, marring, orange peel,

So, I'm pretty new to detailing. Probably doing many things wrong, but my 1LE is my first car worth going to the trouble so I'd like to do it right. I've been using chemical guys stuff : Citrus wash n gloss and hydroslick, pretty happy with the results but it really shows off the paints orange peel and I get finger prints (smudges) from the slightest touch. In September I stripped the car with Dawn dish soap and did a light clay bar. The car came from the Florida coast, wanted to get any salts out. Came out mostly nice, ended up finding some marring hash marks afterwards, disappointed in myself for that.

My questions:
Is there any durable waxes that are more resistant to fingerprints?
Is it feasible to expect hand polishing to remove the light marring spots? Products?
Will a pro color correction clean up the factory orange peel?

The car is pretty much put up for the winter, got time to play with it in the barn. Thanks for all the good info on here!
Hyprblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:11 PM   #2
Ox45
Hillbilly Highness

Drives: 2001 S10, 2022 LT1 Vert
These are just my opinion but...

Some colors are more resistant to showing finger prints, but if you have a nice glossy finish then finger prints will show. I dont think a particular was or sealant will prevent that. Pick a wax or sealant based on protection for the paint and the gloss it imparts.

I am on my 3rd Camaro. The paint will have orange peel to it. It sucks but it just is the way it is on these cars. All of my cars have had it. I dont think that paint correction will help much given how much has been on my cars. White paint actually seems to hide it the best.

The best advice I can give: Dont let people put their nose pickers on your car and learn to ignore the less than optimal paint jobs on these cars. They still look great!

Enjoy the car!

Ox.
Ox45 is offline   Reply With Quote