Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #15
Canadian Steve

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS Convertible
So I took my car into the dealership this morning and the winner is...bad oil filter seal. They were just as surprised to find that as I was to hear it given the last oil change was mid-July and it's been fine until a couple weeks ago. But they've replaced it no charge and cleaned up the mess.

Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions.
Canadian Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #16
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Over hundreds of oil changes in the last 50 years, I have never encountered a bad oil filter seal.

I have encountered exactly one filter that leaked at the joint between the canister and base plate, and that was an STP filter that was "free" with an oil purchase at AutoZone. Needless to say, I will never use one of those again.

Sounds like a sloppy installation by the dealer.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #17
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Steve View Post
So I took my car into the dealership this morning and the winner is...bad oil filter seal. They were just as surprised to find that as I was to hear it given the last oil change was mid-July and it's been fine until a couple weeks ago. But they've replaced it no charge and cleaned up the mess.

Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions.
I had the same. Drove my car for about a month before noticing some oil on the ground. Right back to the dealer I went and went under the car with the kid to check the filter tightness. It was tight as I figured it would be cause when I take the car to the dealer I am beside those guys the whole time and tighten the filter and drain plug myself. I’m a licensed tech myself and used to work at a GM dealer in Oakville and Grimsby.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #18
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Over hundreds of oil changes in the last 50 years, I have never encountered a bad oil filter seal.

I have encountered exactly one filter that leaked at the joint between the canister and base plate, and that was an STP filter that was "free" with an oil purchase at AutoZone. Needless to say, I will never use one of those again.

You just haven’t seen it yet. Doesn’t happen often at all. But in the 26 years of being a licensed auto and heavy equipment tech I have seen it on both cars and heavy equipment. But in saying that, I would say at most 10 times in my career.
And once was on my ZLE.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #19
animefan0611

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT 2.0L Turbo I4
Happened to mine as well. For some reason the oil filter got loose and started leaking oil. Just needed to tighten it.

2018 Trax LT 1.4L Turbo I4
Summit White, 6 spd Auto
12k miles (as of Oct 2021)
animefan0611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #20
CRBWS6

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE SCCA FS, 99 WS-6, E46 M3
I can attest that this can happen. K&N filter installed by me, on a truck. Leaked between filter housing and gasket. Didn't show up for 1800 miles.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #21
Carscoe

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm now on round 3 of my 1LE leaking. In 6 months. First time it was oil seal, second time it was oilpan bolts loose. Who knows what it is this time. Car has been driven not even 200km between when the last fix was done, and now. My driveway is covered in oil spots from the last couple months.
Carscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:57 PM   #22
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
I get a few drops on the garage floor, 100% it's oil but it's so small and so sporadic that I really don't pay it much attention. Is usually after I've taken it out and ragged on it particularly hard on the back roads. Never seems to be day-in and day-out even though I can run it some what aggressively.

had to revisit this today...got afew more drops of oil here and there and it seemed like a bit more in frequency so I got the car up on my ramps. Oil filter was clean but could see oil pan bolts with some oil on them and a drop on the bottom of the pan. Found 3 bolts that were not tight, probably got a 1/4 turn on them.

WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:22 PM   #23
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Oil feels like oil, water feels like water, and evaporates. Coolant doesn't evaporate very quickly, and it's red. Putting a newspaper under the leak might help you get a better look at the fluid.

A set of ramps would help you to investigate under the car.

Leaks do happen. The engine oil cooler and trans oil cooler line can be sources, even on new-ish cars.

Poorly installed oil filters and poorly made oil filters are other possibilities.

Since the car is under warranty, going to the dealer is the obvious first step.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:43 AM   #24
gen6_1ss

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin Metallic 1LE
I had this same issue. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the oil pan, and resealed it. Car has only 26K miles on it. Good as new.....for now
gen6_1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:51 AM   #25
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
had to revisit this today...got afew more drops of oil here and there and it seemed like a bit more in frequency so I got the car up on my ramps. Oil filter was clean but could see oil pan bolts with some oil on them and a drop on the bottom of the pan. Found 3 bolts that were not tight, probably got a 1/4 turn on them.

Seems to have stopped, no new oil drops for two weeks.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:23 AM   #26
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post

Never had a bad filter. But there is this...

37ish years ago I did an oil change to the very first car I ever owned. Maybe the second change on the car and the second one I ever did.

I double gasketed the filter.

A lesson was learned that day that has not nor ever will be been forgotten.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:48 AM   #27
davecamaro6

Drives: Camaro 2SS 1LE
Had my 1LE leak oil this summer. Turns out the bolts on the oil cooler were loose.

Brought it to the dealership and they replaced the entire oil cooler and gasket under warranty
davecamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote