Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #15
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
I found some viable-looking spacer options from H&R and www.motorsport-tech.com.

The Motorsport Tech 15mm option is nice because the studs are pressed into the spacer. I feel confident in that type of design. The cost is $130 (front axle only).

The H&R DRS is a little narrower, 13mm. That's good because anything over 5mm is really more than I need. $169.95. It would require (a lot of) labor to remove stock lugs and add the longer H&R lugs. My past experience with H&R is good.

I'm going to have a lot of poke on the front axle with either of these options. But, I've been planning to put on the ZL1 Addons deluxe rock guards, anyhow.

Option 3, which I don't have info on yet, is getting longer lugs and using my 5mm non-hub-centric spacers. I'd probably need to use open-ended lug bolts, because I figure longer lugs are a LOT longer than 5mm.

On balance, I'm leaning towards the Motorsport Tech product. I'm going to take off one of my Apex FL-5 wheels and see if it has large enough pockets between the bolt holes to accommodate the poke of the OEM lugs through the bolt-on Motorsport spacer.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #16
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Get some extended reach / long shank lug nuts. They have a deeper collar and will get you some extra turns on the stud.
Readily available
This is the route I took. Got atleast 9 turns by hand, then a couple more with tools.

Clearance looks ok, Im driving it today to make sure nothing rubs.

Crappy pic with wheels installed, will post better pics when car is clean.

Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #17
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Perfect.
That is all you need for tiny 5mm spacers.

No need to spend hundreds of dollars and hours of works when different lug nuts will do.

Perfectly safe, they grab more thread and seat the wheel normally.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #18
Roostie
all it takes is cash

I am VERY curious to know what specific extended-thread lug nuts you got, who the vender was, and if they fit on Apex wheels. I want to avoid unknown China-junk from eBay and Amazon. And I want to be sure the cone surface mates up with the wheel properly.

Gorilla Automotive part 65148DC has an intriguing shape, but is called "Factory Style for Steel Wheel Covers"

A website called Wheel Adapters USA has a set of 32 (odd!) extended reach lug nuts. Never heard of them but their website is professional and they claim the nuts are forged and made from good steel. https://wheeladaptersusa.com/product...1-75-inch-tall
Old 07-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #19
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverxdeutsch View Post
Looking at what that entails, I think there is a really low chance that I would trust that on a set of wheels that will only see track use. High loads + smaller mating surface between the nut and the wheel = potential problems. I'd rather just do it the right way and get longer studs.

Also, for comparison's sake, here is another photo showing the wheels without the spacer and my finger for comparison, like in the first photo with the spacer on.
Just for a point of reference, my 18" track setup with my spacers is a closer fit than that and is not an issue.

That being said if it worries you a 5mm spacer and extended thread lugs is a good option.

BTW if in the future the need arises installing new studs is really easy on these cars.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513759
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #20
Roostie
all it takes is cash

After a lot of Internet searching and several calls to different companies, I found extended thread black lug nuts at Motorsport Tech, and placed my order. They seem like a good vendor, and I am optimistic that this is going to be a really good solution with 5mm spacers. I'll see how they fit on my Apex wheels next week.

Thanks to everyone for all the input on this thread!
Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #21
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
survived Laguna Seca with out issue.

Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote