Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
ssgirl89

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro V8 2SS, Black
Question Exhaust Help!

Hey guys--

Alright so I've had my Camaro for almost a year now and have finally decided that I'm tired of driving around being "that girl" with stock everything on her car. With Christmas approaching, I want to give myself a little present and do some work on my car, starting with the exhaust. Being somewhat new to the whole car scene, I'm not too sure where to go from here. I have listened to quite a few different exhausts on places like youtube and have found that I really like the flowmaster sound.

I saw on the flowmaster website that they have a "kit" for our cars but I'm not sure if I need the whole kit, or if I'm even looking in the right place. Should the exhaust even be the first thing I start working towards?

I have a 2010 Camaro 2SS Automatic. Anyone want to help lead me in the right direction? Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Nikolle
ssgirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
AFM (when the engine switches over to 4cy mode to save gas).

One thing you need to be aware of is the AFM on the L99 A6. When you increase the volume of the exhaust, you also increase the sound when the AFM turns cuts in and out. It can make the exhaust sound really weird and annoying. Most guys with more aggressive exhaust setups on L99 A6s get their cars tuned to delete the AFM so it doesn't come on.

That being said, there are a lot of exhaust options. Some are made specifically for the L99 A6 to help prevent AFM noises. But if you want a more aggressive setup, you're bound to get some AFM noises. But it shouldn't be much of an issue if you go with a relatively mild exhaust (not too aggressive).

You might want to look into an axle back exhaust (just mufflers and exhaust tips). They are less expensive (vs a catback exhaust), and give you a nice sound. They will also get rid of the big ugly heavy mufflers. If you're planning on more mods some day in the future (headers, etc), I'd go a head and get a full catback exhaust. A lot of guys/gals that first buy axle backs end up buying a catback exhaust later on.

Everyone has their own idea of what sounds good. I like Magnaflow's exhausts. I think you'd like the Magnaflow Competition catback. Its got a nice aggressive sound without being too loud.
It's also very hard to get a real sound from an exhaust buy listening to a video. You should try to hear the exhaust setup in person if possible.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
VictoryMuscleCars

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS RS Convert
The Corsa cat-back Camaro exhaust system is specifically designed with AFM in mind. Check it out:

http://www.corsaperformance.com
Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgirl89 View Post
Hey guys--

Alright so I've had my Camaro for almost a year now and have finally decided that I'm tired of driving around being "that girl" with stock everything on her car. With Christmas approaching, I want to give myself a little present and do some work on my car, starting with the exhaust. Being somewhat new to the whole car scene, I'm not too sure where to go from here. I have listened to quite a few different exhausts on places like youtube and have found that I really like the flowmaster sound.

I saw on the flowmaster website that they have a "kit" for our cars but I'm not sure if I need the whole kit, or if I'm even looking in the right place. Should the exhaust even be the first thing I start working towards?

I have a 2010 Camaro 2SS Automatic. Anyone want to help lead me in the right direction? Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Nikolle
Get this setup, sounds awesome

or this one..

cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
there is also the MBRP and the solo systems designed with AFM in mind. if you like flowmaster, I think you'll find the corsa a little too raspy / higher pitch.

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
chazysoccer11

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS
Borla Atak is wonderful! It sounds great and no drone. Loud when you want it to be, then quiet when you want it to be. I installed in the garage with one floor jack and that was it. Easy!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo
Borla S-type!!!
or..
Flowmaster sounds good too if thats what you've been looking at. make sure you go for a catback if you get an axle back you have to cut your stock exhaust and it wont make it sound much louder because the resonators are still there.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Flowmaster was mentioned as a sound ssgirl89 likes... so with that said, I say go for what you like!

Flowmaster can be done several ways, purchasing just the muffler or the kit as you mentioned is most likely referring to the 'Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back system'

One thing to keep in mind is the size of the flow master is 3" with the kit. Stock is a 2.5" You'll need a muffler shop or someone, to make a connection that will help convert the size. I could go on forever talking about the little things but it really depends how much $$ you have to spend. I myself am doing all the exhaust at once to save future hassles of matching difference size things up. If you have the $ You mine as well get headers and the rest of the exhaust system (or headers & just mufflers)

Hope this helps a little and doesn't confuse you more
Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
Robbie1227

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28/2016 Jeep Sahara
Well, by now you should be really confused :-)
I did a lot of research and listening on youtube, even though the audio is not that great, it will give you a decent idea.
I personally went with the Corsa cat Back and I absolutely love it. It is not as deep as the others, it is a slightly higher pitch, with a nice crackly sound, and ZERO drone at any speed and any RPM. It's still quiet in the car, but you really hear it when you get on the gas.
Anyhow, search your choices on you tube and search the forums for opinions, and make the nest choice you can.
I love my Corsa.
2015 summit white Z28 #120 TRK DAY
-Sun-Tek PPF-C protection film on 2/3 of the car, Moreno Camber plates, American Racing 2" ceramic coated LT headers and X-pipes with No Cats, Taylor red performance wires, NGK plugs, BTR Stage III Cam, MSD Atomic intake, Nick Williams 102mm throttle body, Stage 2 CNC Ported Heads by WCCH, MGW short throw shifter, oil catch can, and a dyno tune to get me to 587 RWHP and 516 RWTQ

GONE:
2013 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks headers and CAT delete, ATI damper and 10% pulley and balancer!
Results: 576 RWHP - 540 RWTQ
Robbie1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
walkermuffler

Drives: 2010 ss
Remember the borla, magnaflow,and corsa will have the most hp gains because they are a straight through muffler , we seen flowmaster lose 6 to 12hp over the STOCK muffler!
walkermuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
n116ebo
n116

Drives: 2010 2SS YELLOW TRANSFORMER AUTO
ssgirl, I have the want for a deeper rumble type sound on my 2SS A6, I have listened to a lot of different sounding muflers and I keep coming back to the Borla S axelback. I have the CAI Inc and everything else is stock. It really talks now when you WOT, but to me is too quiet at idle. Every day I try to talk myself into buying the axleback S, but so far have not picked up the phone. Trust me, I will purchase and install most likely before the end of the year. Listen to the different video's and buy what sounds best to you. Drive safe.
n116ebo
n116ebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRoyalFlush View Post
Get this setup, sounds awesome

or this one..

there are so many better setups....
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Corsa Cat-Back combined with a CAI. Corsa does the GM system. There is a thread about the CAI comparisons already.

Not sure if the CAI(cold air intake) would improve your sound of the stock exhaust as a first mod.

I would say Cat-Back regardless of who's. You will spend ~Twice the price 1200 vs 600, but you get rid of the ginormus resonator in the stock system & will be ready for future mods.

Sounds stock until you step on the gas, then comes to life!

My only caution would be to begin with the end in mind. I did some things that came off later and I sold for 50 cents on the dollar, as I added things to my car. IE: CAI when I supercharged her.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
falkclan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6speed M - RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
Flowmaster was mentioned as a sound ssgirl89 likes... so with that said, I say go for what you like!

Flowmaster can be done several ways, purchasing just the muffler or the kit as you mentioned is most likely referring to the 'Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back system'

One thing to keep in mind is the size of the flow master is 3" with the kit. Stock is a 2.5" You'll need a muffler shop or someone, to make a connection that will help convert the size. I could go on forever talking about the little things but it really depends how much $$ you have to spend. I myself am doing all the exhaust at once to save future hassles of matching difference size things up. If you have the $ You mine as well get headers and the rest of the exhaust system (or headers & just mufflers)

Hope this helps a little and doesn't confuse you more

FYI, I recently installed the FLowmaster AT cat-back, and it comes ready to go...it is full 3in from cat through x-pipe and out to mufflers, but the x-pipe is already tapered to 2.5in connector so you just slide in the stock clamp/bracket at the end of the CAT's....

very easy swap from stock cat-back for 100% better/deeper sound