Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Ceramic Coating on Painted Surfaces that have another coating on them?

The idea of an Si02 coating on my paint is kind of appealing. Must one strip off other coatings before applying?

Example: I have my Meguiars Ultimate Synthetic (polymer) on my paint currently. Can I apply something like Hydro20 or Adams Spray Ceramic right over it?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Yup, that will be fine but don’t expect massive groundbreaking results… I personally think layering producs, esp if they are from different manufacturers , are way overblown.

Do it if you areaddicted to detailing or love to work over your car, but don’t do it because you think you’re going to get massive amounts of additional Gloss or protection.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Yup, that will be fine but don’t expect massive groundbreaking results… I personally think layering producs, esp if they are from different manufacturers , are way overblown.

Do it if you areaddicted to detailing or love to work over your car, but don’t do it because you think you’re going to get massive amounts of additional Gloss or protection.
Good to know that it won't cause problems to do it. Thanks for that. I have no great love of car washing or detailing; in fact as you well know it is kind of a lot of work and very time-consuming. I like my SS to look good, but I don't have tons of spare time to spend on it.

What interests me is the idea of good looking glossy coatings that are not a lot of work/time to apply and protect well for extended periods of time. Maybe that is the holy grail that doesn't exist, I dunno.

The Meguiars Ultimate polymer was relatively easy to apply and looks decent. I will probably use it again before buying something else, as I still have a fair amount in the bottle, but some of these Si02 coatings where you just spray a little on a cloth and then wipe the car with it, with very little or no buffing required (if I understand their process correctly) are appealing.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
The idea of an Si02 coating on my paint is kind of appealing. Must one strip off other coatings before applying?

Example: I have my Meguiars Ultimate Synthetic (polymer) on my paint currently. Can I apply something like Hydro20 or Adams Spray Ceramic right over it?
You can apply our Spray Coating over your polymer however it will last longer if you do a Prep wipe down first.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
You can apply our Spray Coating over your polymer however it will last longer if you do a Prep wipe down first.
Thanks, can you elaborate on what you mean by a Prep wipe down?
Old 07-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Jersey devil

Drives: '17 Z06
Quote:
Thanks, can you elaborate on what you mean by a Prep wipe down?
An IPA wipedown or use a product such as Carpro Eraser. It gets rid of any oils so the new product will adhere better
Jersey devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I used Hydro2Foam diluted 10:1...wipe on and hose off... on top of Adams paint sealer and it turned out fantastic. I was skeptical about ceramic but the car stays noticeably cleaner, looks glossier, feels smoother, and the coating lasts at least a few months.

I don't think you need to do anything but clean the car 1st, and even that's optional as it can be used in a foam cannon in place of car wash soap.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
The products you are thinking of as "Ceramic Coatings" are not true coatings, they are instead SI02 sealants.

Coatings are resin based, and harden after application, having a durability of 2 years or more. SI02 sealants are not resin based, and can last up to 6 months.

Being that you don't have an SI02 coating or sealant on your paint now, topping it with an SI02 sealant will provide limited durability, because it won't bond well to the current polymer sealant you have on the car now.

So if you want an SI02 product instead of the current polymer sealant you have on your car, yes, you need to first strip it.

Megs Ultimate is a blend of polymers and carnauba, IPA will strip it off.

A true ceramic coating will require polishing before application....so if you don't want to go that route, just use a good SI02 sealant as your base protection.....Carpro Reload, Blackfire SI02 Sealant, or Adams spray ceramic.

To maximize durability of your base layer, wash with Carpro Hydrofoam, or Adams Wash/Coat once every 2-3 months instead of your normal soap to add an additional layer of SI02 sealant.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #9
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Good info! What is IPA?
Old 07-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Good info! What is IPA?
Isopropyl Alcohol
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #11
RLem619

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Isopropyl Alcohol
Will a 90% IPA, break down a ceramic coating at a 70/30 ratio?

I've used it in a pump sprayer on other vehicles in between washes, and it worked great. Was curious if I would be able to use it sparingly in a pinch, without it damaging the ceramic. I'm guessing not to use it, but worth asking.

RLem619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:55 AM   #12
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey devil View Post
An IPA wipedown or use a product such as Carpro Eraser. It gets rid of any oils so the new product will adhere better
Agree on this one! Also, a polish with a good D/A polisher and polish will get you that mirror shine before applying any type of sealant.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:57 AM   #13
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLem619 View Post
Will a 90% IPA, break down a ceramic coating at a 70/30 ratio?

I've used it in a pump sprayer on other vehicles in between washes, and it worked great. Was curious if I would be able to use it sparingly in a pinch, without it damaging the ceramic. I'm guessing not to use it, but worth asking.
I wouldn't use IPA unless you are looking to strip off sealants, not sure how it will affect ceramic coatings, but I wouldn't chance it, there is no reason to use IPA, it is not used for any type of cleaning or washing.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #14
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
ipa....no matter what you are doing with it , works fine in a 50/50 mix with distilled water, it has not harmed any ceramic Ive used in the past. Ive had to polish off any cermaic , if I need to do that.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote