Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 07-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #15
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
No offense taken as I am clearly not a novice nor did I even remotely imply or state anything close to that, I also have a very clear understanding of the chemistry here as well.

... when we are advising people of all skill levels it is dangerous and ignorant to relay anecdotal evidence that is clearly against the manufacturers recommendations as well as the actual chemistry of the product.
What is the actual chemistry of the product(s), and to which product(s) you are referring?

In a scenario where a MF towel is used as a ceramic coating applicator with products like Gtechniq Crystal Serum, Carpro Cquartz, Gyeon Mohs 9H, etc. I would presume that if the towel is washed under normal clothes washing machine conditions in warm water with detergent shortly after use (within 4 to 8 hrs) that there wouldn't be enough time for hardening and permanent bonding of the polydimethylsiloxanes to the fibers (the "jizz towel effect" as you put it) to the point where the washing machine couldn't dissolve them. I'm not worried about sealants like Reload or "ceramic sprays" like Meguiars HCW or Adams CSC, since they really don't contain any component that "cures" to form a hardened polymer layer in the same sense as the proper ceramic coatings, despite being able to "feel" the slickness of the coatings on the towels during/after use.

But perhaps not, hence the question. It's a big world of paint protection out there and I'm always looking to improve my knowledge and methods.

Last edited by Gunkk; 07-19-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #16
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
What is the actual chemistry of the product(s), and to which product(s) you are referring?
I'm referring to the Ceramic / SiO2 coatings we've been discussing in this thread. Specifically the ones where the manufacturers recommend tossing the towels after application. I don't know of any spray-on solutions that recommend this, as they have much lower concentrations of 'ceramics' in them (like, mostly none but that's another subject).

The chemistry will vary by manufacturer, which is why I keep stressing for new and novice detailers to LISTEN TO THE MANUFACTURER not the anecdotal spewings of a back yard detailer (or even me, go to the source).

Quote:
In a scenario where a MF towel is used as a ceramic coating applicator with products like Gtechniq Crystal Serum, Carpro Cquartz, Gyeon Mohs 9H, etc. I would presume that if the towel is washed under normal clothes washing machine conditions in warm water with detergent shortly after use (within 4 to 8 hrs) that there wouldn't be enough time for hardening and permanent bonding of the polydimethylsiloxanes to the fibers (the "jizz towel effect" as you put it) to the point where the washing machine couldn't dissolve them.
You would be absolutely wrong about that. Many coatings can be washed with car soap and water after 1-4 hours, so that blows that theory out of the water. It's also in the way it adheres to the towel. MICROfiber. The MICRO part is critical here, as those tiny fibers are actively catching and trapping the chemicals that eventually become "glass" or "ceramic" or "jizz towel" inside of them. It also flashes completely differently on MF vs. paint... because, you know, chemistry n stuff.

Quote:
I'm not worried about sealants like Reload or "ceramic sprays" like Meguiars HCW or Adams CSC, since they really don't contain any component that "cures" to form a hardened polymer layer in the same sense as the proper ceramic coatings, despite being able to "feel" the slickness of the coatings on the towels during/after use.
You shouldn't be, but you shouldn't expect longevity out of them either. These things go hand in hand. These are mostly good for a drying aid or quick detailer.

Quote:
But perhaps not, hence the question. It's a big world of paint protection out there and I'm always looking to improve my knowledge and methods.
Everyone has a different opinion, you might think mine sucks but if you're reading much past "you should follow the manufacturers recommendations until you are comfortable with the product and all of us pros should relay this message to newbies/novices so they don't mess thier vehicles up and hate detailing forever" then perhaps I should revise my message.

It's dangerous and stupid for pros (and quite unprofessional tbh) to advise the new/novice as if they posses the same skills and experience.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote