Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Methanol injection

To the point. In my curiosity phase - Whats the consensus?

I haven't really seen anything negative about methanol as a fuel in fact the opposite, even from the green community. eh hem.

So whats the deal? Pros and cons, recommended kits, experiences. Bang for the buck, etc..
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
It's fine just requires more attention. You won't see anything north of 310whp reliably and consistently on the stock turbo and internals without methanol or E85.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
wookwook

EB, i assume that your also including a tune in there also. A 60 hp jump at the wheels is nothing to sneeze at. I know that in itself its not a power booster as a standalone. It helps with creating more favorable conditions in the cylinder for extreme setting advances, so its more of a catalyst to get to the upper limits of whats possible for timing and combustion crank angle with tuning adjustments of course.

it has an interesting history. They used it on WWII airplanes to take off from short runways. I mean its a proven and worthy technology. No real hazzards if you buy it in premixed form. In fact its probably less toxic than the rack of windshield fluid at ur local gas station cause those are what 70 percent? Anyways the compelling thing for me is getting reliable access to the upper tuning level of RC. lol. This seems on the surface at least to promise a cure for pinging and getting access to these steep timing settings on the upper settings. Only for track days of course.

I need to get more info on logging AFR in hp scanner. if anyone has any reference info would be much appreciated.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #4
SaGa

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2LT I4
I’m gonna bump this
Trying to decide between meth kit or the JacFab valve

Iv got throttle body intake downpipe tune and exhaust
Currently making 303 hp
If anyone has numbers for what they gained with either please send me them
SaGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaGa View Post
I’m gonna bump this
Trying to decide between meth kit or the JacFab valve

Iv got throttle body intake downpipe tune and exhaust
Currently making 303 hp
If anyone has numbers for what they gained with either please send me them
Read up on what wook has done: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554780

Personally, I'd recommend that JacFab valve. It's cheap and takes minutes to install and had made an incredible improvement to the powerband.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Too me, before I went meth, I would go with Ethanol. Later when you run out of room for fuel, add the meth. Here is what I don't like from what I've seen with meth. Seems most guys install a single nozzle system. What I notice, is meth tends to act like water, and basically will follow the path of least resistance, meaning one cylinder usually gets a ton dumped in, while the other 3 not so much. You can see how this may be problematic. A multiport system will fix that issue.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #7
wookwook

Thnks for the comments guys. I think I answered my own question. it really works and makes a big difference. When I ran my tank through the second refill w/o re-dosing I could definitely feel the difference like night and day. I will be trying it on half dose for a while. My experience (topic hardly needs my validation) is that fueling clearly made a noticeable impact on my test. A little early for prognostication but the math is 3 bucks per tank fill over how ever long payback is for the other fueling mods, seems like a good value for the short term anyways. I know there are naysayers out there, that's fine. Haven't heard any pinging for a while now in the summer heat.

Name:  NA30.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  63.3 KB
Old 08-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Man, this is an odd post. It went from meth, to e85, to e85 with meth, to you ended up using 108 octane booster and feel a difference in performance gain?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

No kidding.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 08-02-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
wookwook

YEah checkled at my self... Ok in fairness fellas its hard to know whats going a mile wide and an inch deep once everyone chimes in. I think I was asking about adding an injection system and vs other ways to improve the burn cycle. I looked closely at meth inj, chilled IC, Fuel (arent they all basically alcohol additives?). And the effort to make this stuff work right.

My current pet research project is a top moutned IC in the gap in front of the engine and water inj but at the hot inlet to better disperse the drizzle while it soaks heat in the coil. Heat soak, cyle times, and all that jazz.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #11
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
YEah checkled at my self... Ok in fairness fellas its hard to know whats going a mile wide and an inch deep once everyone chimes in. I think I was asking about adding an injection system and vs other ways to improve the burn cycle. I looked closely at meth inj, chilled IC, Fuel (arent they all basically alcohol additives?). And the effort to make this stuff work right.

My current pet research project is a top moutned IC in the gap in front of the engine and water inj but at the hot inlet to better disperse the drizzle while it soaks heat in the coil. Heat soak, cyle times, and all that jazz.
So just to clarify, you are noticing a slight performance gain with the 108 octane booster? I thought the stock ecu would adjust accordingly and shut down any gains from the octane booster.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
So just to clarify, you are noticing a slight performance gain with the 108 octane booster? I thought the stock ecu would adjust accordingly and shut down any gains from the octane booster.
It will shut down anything over 98 octane i believe unless tuned not to. I could be wrong but i remember my tuner saying putting 100 in on a shitty hot day would be fine and might slightly help. Again who knows what GM has these set at all i know is they dislike anything below premium octane immensely.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #13
wookwook

Welp? Since the topic made a little traction, I made side journey to actually check out MMT the main ingredient in a couple of these brands. MMT was challenged in court as to its human and emissions safety about a decade ago, it was initially banned but that was overturned as the car makers apparently couldn't prove it's harm to either.

(Why would car makers what to quash Octane and now they may be going to high octane engines, its the petroleum lobby?) I put in the labelled one bottle per 16 gal tank and it seems to make the engine generally run better. I didn't get any ramp pulls to make any power measures, cause what I am curious about is KR. So it does what it says, reduced KR to basically nil as far as the ear on head knock sensor didn't register pings.

Another weird note is I must have come accustomed to the low rpm "power" improvement of some kind, because I since developed a habit of stalling at low rpm, thinking I have more "umph", and now I don't have that. But its now peak temps where I am at, and may I am just ***** footing it.

So I don't know if it runs at 108. and that wasn't the point of my post. I am assuming if its similar to boostane, at 1 once to 1 gallon, its good for 100 octane. Now the kicker is, I am on the second clean tank full of 93, and its still not pinging which is just weird. On the first refill, this stuff had to be wickedly diluted, so I did muse a bit if the full dose was over kill, you know - its a capitalist system and sell sell sell, even if you don't need it. SO - long story sorry short. I have a bottle and a funnel to load a half dose and one of these cooler days I will try to get a 65 degree ramp run and fill you in ( my other graphs are 64 degrees). Maybe the little red KR hits on HPT logging, if you are into data. I will share when I can.