Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #15
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
National guard is being forced to open up the dams as the dams are under tremendous stress and can go out any minutes which is essentially causing more neighborhoods to be flooded. What a crappy situation to be in...
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #16
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
If anyone remembers the previous evacuation..then you can understand the catch 22 here. Forego an evac order, and deal with emergency evac during the flood. OR..put 2 million people on the interstate and hope the water doesnt come in quickly. Last time it was six lanes, eventually gridlocked...and people started to die on the highway in their car. Eventually numerous motorists were stranded on the interstate. In this unfortunate circumstance, both sides of the scale had death on it.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #17
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I didn't create the license plate.
That is who got that plate!
Old 08-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #18
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
If anyone remembers the previous evacuation..then you can understand the catch 22 here. Forego an evac order, and deal with emergency evac during the flood. OR..put 2 million people on the interstate and hope the water doesnt come in quickly. Last time it was six lanes, eventually gridlocked...and people started to die on the highway in their car. Eventually numerous motorists were stranded on the interstate. In this unfortunate circumstance, both sides of the scale had death on it.
How long did they get to evacuate though? I mean if they evacuated the night before the Hurricane then yeah, you're boned.. but Florida performs evacs out of coastal cities all the time and these are places like Miami.. which is pretty much the same size as Houston..it's not a pleasant experience, but I haven't heard of people drowning on the highway either.. Hurricane's don't just come out of nowhere, there is PLENTY of warning time to issue an evacuation.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
^ thank you. Sometimes it seems like people just want to blame a mess on some one. But people need to understand that things in this world can happen that are beyond human control. Like where would you put just 2 million people (some very ill ). and pets, horses etc..... Sounds easy, dang they should have left before the storm.

As for the Camaro, what is up with the tag, strange.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:24 PM   #20
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
It's not just Houston either...LaGrange, Bay City, etc. are in the same situation. People from all over the state & La are bringing in their boats / ATV's to help. I saw several caravans leaving the border region / Rio Grande Valley with all their gear heading north today on 281.

There is simply no way First Responders can handle the evacuation without civilian help...there is a genuine first class effort going on. No lie when 1000 year storm term is being thrown around and none of us will see another like it if we are lucky.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:18 AM   #21
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbates455 View Post
There is way more people in the greater Houston metropolitan area than you think. 6.5 million. That's just the Houston metropolitan area. Not including all the other at least 11 counties getting slammed by this storm. You can't put that many people on the roads. It is better to shelter in your house or apartment than in a car or truck. The roads would be gridlocked like crazy. The Rita evacuation in 2005 is a prime example of what a god awful mess trying to evacuate this many people. The population of Miami is less than 475k. Big difference. This is a 1000 year storm. I'm just ready for Harvey to leave. The population of Miami Dade county is 2.6 million. That's a less than half of the Houston metropolitan area. With all of the area effected by this it would be an evacuation of about 9 million people.
Miami Metro Area is well over 2.6 million. It's 5.5 Million. You're comparing apples and oranges with Houston's entire metro area to just one county in Miami.. of course one county is going to have way less than the entire metro of Houston.. but Miami Metro and Houston Metro are only 1 Million Difference. Both cities have aproximately the same amount of feasible evacuation routes.. thats just not going to fly as an excuse for me.. sorry.. But Miami, Daytona, Jacksonville and the like have had to perform evacuations for the same incoming storms and trust me when I say Eastern Florida is MUCH more populated than the Houston vincinity unless you're going to include San Antonio, then they would be almost equal with Florida still having slightly more people. The time it takes for a Hurricane to actually make landfall is more than enough time to evacuate a good portion of a urban populous even at the magnitude of Houston... Now if it were Los Angeles, or NYC.. different story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
^ thank you. Sometimes it seems like people just want to blame a mess on some one. But people need to understand that things in this world can happen that are beyond human control. Like where would you put just 2 million people (some very ill ). and pets, horses etc..... Sounds easy, dang they should have left before the storm.

As for the Camaro, what is up with the tag, strange.

It's not like its a permanent change, this sort of thing happens almost every year here in Georgia with Floridians coming up to our state and filling up all of our hotels completely booking them for about a week, maybe two at best.. then its BAU.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:21 AM   #22
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Hurricane's don't just come out of nowhere, there is PLENTY of warning time to issue an evacuation.
This one went from unnamed collection of storms in the Gulf to Cat4 monster making landfall in two and a half days, which is awfully fast. When Sandy hit my area a few years ago (the eye passed just a few miles south of where I live - granted I live on a hill a hundred feet above sea level with no basement in southeast PA, so flooding wasn't a concern), we had a week of knowing a hurricane was out there and a couple models suggesting it might just hang a left into NJ to keep us on our toes. Harvey played a much more sinister game with the people of Texas.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:48 AM   #23
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
This one went from unnamed collection of storms in the Gulf to Cat4 monster making landfall in two and a half days, which is awfully fast. When Sandy hit my area a few years ago (the eye passed just a few miles south of where I live - granted I live on a hill a hundred feet above sea level with no basement in southeast PA, so flooding wasn't a concern), we had a week of knowing a hurricane was out there and a couple models suggesting it might just hang a left into NJ to keep us on our toes. Harvey played a much more sinister game with the people of Texas.
Okay, that I can give it. I thought there was more warning than 2.5 days, if thats the case then yeah they did do the right thing by not evacuating otherwise you're right it would have been a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbates455 View Post
You're right I googled Miami dade population not greater Miami population. Just a little sick of people who don't live here talking like you know what's going on here. You don't. It's a 1000 year flood and all folks can do is armchair quarterback the situation like they could handle it so much better. This is why I don't do social media. And this was the first forum I'd ever joined. And won't do it again. Why? People suck. That's why. Next time some bad stuff happens to you, I hope people don't help you, but bust balls like you are doing. Worst natural disaster in Houston's history. And going on sanctimonious rants on a camaro forum is a real big help. Respond with whatever. I don't care. I'm done. need4camaro. You suck.
Apologies! - Just as a side note though I've been through Houston a good few times though.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #24
Zzzato
Bigg Balls

Drives: 2017 Red Hot 1SS
Part out?
Old 08-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #25
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Lightening the mood.

I think the highway sign falling was unrelated to Harvey... more likely this guy was still driving around during the evacuation:

JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:39 PM   #26
show7ime

Drives: 2017 1SS Summit White
You do know some people have the name or nickname BJ right? So BJ's SS would make sense.

As a person who helped with Katrina evacuations (military) and went through environmental hardship... too many variables play a factor why many cannot evacuate on time.

Some nonsense and jokes are "too soon."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
show7ime is offline   Reply With Quote