Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
1LE in Time Trials

Well the thought has been bouncing around in my head for awhile now about getting into Time Trials, but especially now after this weekend at VIR with NASA.

So since I’m pretty clueless on what it will take to get my car up to spec for TT I guess my question is has anyone here done so already with a 6th gen 1LE (or even a 5th gen even)?

I did talk to a couple TT guys there this weekend that were running C6Zs in TT1/TTU. According to them the 1LE would get destroyed and I should try to go with TT2. But that’s all the info I have now, I couldn’t find anything on NASAs site about what classes the 6th gen can/have to be in. And it seems like the SCCA classes can be translated to NASA classes so I guess I could do both.

Anybody?!? What you got for me???
Old 10-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Pretty sure the 6th gen 1LE puts in better lap times than the C6Zs unless those guys weren't stock.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
Pretty sure the 6th gen 1LE puts in better lap times than the C6Zs unless those guys weren't stock.
They were FAR from stock haha also the main factor for classing in TT is power to weight ratio. (In lbs:hp) 6:1 it TT1, 8:1 is TT2 and 10:1 is TT3. My rough math says that my mostly stock car with me in it should be at about 8.7:1 (where the C6Z has much better power to weight ratio) so that would ut it in TT2 as far as I know, as long as it’s not exempt from TT2.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
x_jarhead

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
What math did you use for you calculations?

Wheel HP should be about 386 and curbweight w/Driver about 3950 (200 LB Driver) which is under 10 HP/Lb which puts a stock car in TT3 no?

Ren
x_jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Not sure why you'd want to get to TT1 spec, thats like lambos, ferraris, ACR's, GT3RS's...Tough competition for those guys who know how to drive them.

The car weighs 3700 and change with fuel, plus 180lbs for me would be 3885. Maybe add another 15-20 lbs worth of ballast and get in tt3. When i jumped from tt3 to tt2 in my e46 m3, the competition was much harder.

Do what ya can to get in tt3 for starters. If you add power and lose weight later on you'll move to TT2, but do what you can to stay out of TT1 unless you're into getting beat (not you, just think this car doesn't really have what it takes to be competitive in TT1 regardless of mods).
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
JRL1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_jarhead View Post
What math did you use for you calculations?

Wheel HP should be about 386 and curbweight w/Driver about 3950 (200 LB Driver) which is under 10 HP/Lb which puts a stock car in TT3 no?

Ren
You're right, weight w/ driver is probably 3950, but dyno sheets i've seen for rwhp are 405-415ish.

So, 410whp, weight 3950 , plus .6 weight mod = 10.23, TT3
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Not sure why you'd want to get to TT1 spec, thats like lambos, ferraris, ACR's, GT3RS's...Tough competition for those guys who know how to drive them.

The car weighs 3700 and change with fuel, plus 180lbs for me would be 3885. Maybe add another 15-20 lbs worth of ballast and get in tt3. When i jumped from tt3 to tt2 in my e46 m3, the competition was much harder.

Do what ya can to get in tt3 for starters. If you add power and lose weight later on you'll move to TT2, but do what you can to stay out of TT1 unless you're into getting beat (not you, just think this car doesn't really have what it takes to be competitive in TT1 regardless of mods).
I would definitely want to stay as far away from TT1 as possible for the exact reasons you stated! I’m not a big guy, only about 150lbs, so I think it would come in around 3900lbs with me in the car, and at the 405-415whp range that would be right on the edge of TT3. But looking at the times put up last weekend at VIR the car and the driver will need some work to be competitive lol and Idk if I’m ready for that commitment. The new SCCA Time Trials seems promising with their Sport Class that is for mostly stock cars, so I think I might start there.

And for reference my best lap in my stock 1LE last weekend was 2:08.5, where the top times for TT3 each day was a 2:00 on Saturday and 2:03 on Sunday, that’s a lot of time to make up haha
Old 10-15-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
Move_Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I would definitely want to stay as far away from TT1 as possible for the exact reasons you stated! I’m not a big guy, only about 150lbs, so I think it would come in around 3900lbs with me in the car, and at the 405-415whp range that would be right on the edge of TT3. But looking at the times put up last weekend at VIR the car and the driver will need some work to be competitive lol and Idk if I’m ready for that commitment. The new SCCA Time Trials seems promising with their Sport Class that is for mostly stock cars, so I think I might start there.

And for reference my best lap in my stock 1LE last weekend was 2:08.5, where the top times for TT3 each day was a 2:00 on Saturday and 2:03 on Sunday, that’s a lot of time to make up haha
The ticket to NASA is hooisers. People will look at you funny if you show up on anything but. I bet you'd run 3-4 seconds faster on a set of square hooisiers on whatever track you were looking at, however you'll need a few months to practice being fast consistently on hooisers as they hide sins well. What tires are you on now? I am on NT01's and that falls short of NASA, and is too low TW for SCCA. I've gotta figure out which route i'm taking next year once i am ready to TT this car. My E46 was ready to go out of the box when i bought it.

I would definitely recommend starting with SCCA if this is your first crack at TT, they require a 200TW tire, and ours are some of the best 200's behind maybe the RE71's and RS4's, maybe. And cost considerably less. SCCA is less competitive and political, depending on what region. I would start by pursuing your license. Which you may be able to get by some test rides.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
Move_Over

I contradicted myself in my last post. If those times were SCCA times, they'd be on 200+ TW tires. If nasa, almost guaranteed they are on Hoosiers.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #10
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
I contradicted myself in my last post. If those times were SCCA times, they'd be on 200+ TW tires. If nasa, almost guaranteed they are on Hoosiers.
Yep this was a NASA event so they were all on Hoosiers, the way I see it with a decent amount of seat time I could drop 3 seconds or so on Hoosiers, but there's still some more work to do after that to be competitive. I definitely think I'm just going to start with SCCA and then possibly migrate to NASA later on.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #11
x_jarhead

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Agreed on Hoosiers with NASA. I used to compete in TTC with my E36 and Hoosiers were worth 2.5-3 seconds for a ~2 min lap.

I suspect the right config for a 1LE is a custom tune to reduce power and increase TQ to stay just under 10lbs/HP and use fuel to adjust ballast at each event. I own a set of Longacre scales (and a wagon to carry 15 gal of fuel) and would get my M3 within 10 lbs. of the limit at most events.

Also there is really only one optimum session each day. In CO and CA that ws typically the second session depending on track temp. Before and after is just practice...
x_jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote