Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 07-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Thoughts on 2018 GT PP vs. 1LE???

So now that the pricing is out on the new 2018 Mustang I figured it was time for a debate about the new GT w/ Performance Pack vs. the 1LE!

I spec'd out a GT with the performance pack and tried to get it as close to a 1SS 1LE as possible, so basically just PP with magnetic dampers and "active exhaust". That brought the price up to $44,580. So still cheaper than a 1SS 1LE but I'm sure most here will agree that it still won't stack up with the 1LE.

Then I spec'd out a GT Premium with performance pack as a competitor for a 2SS 1LE. The most interesting thing to me here was it seems that Recaros are only available on the Premium for the new stang! All in all it came to about $49,700, which I think is a little less than what a 2SS 1LE will cost.

So what do you guys think?!?! The price gap is clearly much smaller than it was with the old S550, but the performance gap should be a little smaller too. I still think the 1LE will be the better buy of course but it looks like the GT PP is going to be much better now (but also more expensive).
Old 07-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I think the 1LE will still be on top. Overall, the new mustang has a little more power but less torque than the 16/17. Depending on the weight and how they have the gearing setup, Mustang could still potentially win in a straight line.

What I'd think that the mustang doesn't have is a comparable setup on all the components that you get with the 1LE that makes it fast around the track, specifically:
  • wheels/tires - I saw the Mustang is getting the Pilos Sport 4s, but are they going to perform comparably to the G3s on ours? I think that might be more reliant on how the suspension is setup.
  • brakes
  • stiffer suspension
  • eLSD
From what I'm seeing (unless I'm missing some details), the performance package isn't quite on the same level as the 1LE. Looks to me like it's more a competitor to the SS instead of the 1LE at this point.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #3
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
I think the 1LE will still be on top. Overall, the new mustang has a little more power but less torque than the 16/17. Depending on the weight and how they have the gearing setup, Mustang could still potentially win in a straight line.

What I'd think that the mustang doesn't have is a comparable setup on all the components that you get with the 1LE that makes it fast around the track, specifically:
  • wheels/tires - I saw the Mustang is getting the Pilos Sport 4s, but are they going to perform comparably to the G3s on ours? I think that might be more reliant on how the suspension is setup.
  • brakes
  • stiffer suspension
  • eLSD
From what I'm seeing (unless I'm missing some details), the performance package isn't quite on the same level as the 1LE. I'd say it's more a competitor to the SS instead of the 1LE at this point.
+1. I think the 1LE is more inline with GT350/350R in terms of performance and purpose. The plain Mustang GT PP with the 2018 upgrades is just not enough. I tried to buy a 2017 Mustang GT PP, heck I wanted to buy it (way cheaper than the 1LE), but it was just a boat when I test drove it back to back with the 1LE, the 2018 upgrades won't change anything substantial. Just my opinion.
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK001 View Post
+1. I think the 1LE is more inline with GT350/350R in terms of performance and purpose. The plain Mustang GT PP with the 2018 upgrades is just not enough. I tried to buy a 2017 Mustang GT PP, heck I wanted to buy it (way cheaper than the 1LE), but it was just a boat when I test drove it back to back with the 1LE, the 2018 upgrades won't change anything substantial. Just my opinion.

I agree completely that the 1LE is more compareable to the GT350!!!! BUT.... you have to keep the price in mind, as my comparison states, the prices are pretty close. 99% a person that's considering a 1LE with a $46k sticker is not going to cross shop with a GT350 that has a $55k+ sticker not counting mark ups, it's much more likely they will cross shop with a GT PP.

So yes as we have said in about 1000 threads on here performance wise the 1LE is closer to 350, but REALISTICALLY the GT PP is the closest competitior to the 1LE.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
So yes as we have said in about 1000 threads on here performance wise the 1LE is closer to 350, but REALISTICALLY the GT PP is the closest competitior to the 1LE.
Competitor in which way, price? Lots of cars in that range. I hear your point (it's a good one), but honestly think you have to include the gt350 point even if it's been made 1000 times.

Personally I really like the Mustang (owned a s550GTP and all). There is WAY more needed than a few HP and shocks, etc to make up the vast difference between these two cars. I'm looking forward to a test drive in the new Stang, but HIGHLY doubt it will be close.

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
Speedhunter

Drives: Soon ss 1le
I saw the gt with the pp only gets 275s tires on the rear, is that right? I'm been looking to buy a 1le here soon but was waiting on the specs for the gt. From what I can see the 1le still a better buy.
Speedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I think the 1LE will still outhandle a GTPP car, but the GT PP will be much more competitive than the 15-17 Cars

I am curious to see what the mystery GT PP2 includes though..... that might put it at 1LE performance albeit at a higher price
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Personally I had a 14 5.0 then a 15 5.0 PP previous to the 1LE. I was already looking at the 1LE back in January and was considering waiting for the refreshed 18 5.0 with mag ride etc.....WOW, so glad I didn't. Looks aside (refresh is just horrid) I dont think the options really stack up well against the 1LE. Like Alpha said it still lacks the brakes, elsd, and wheels/tires from the 1LE not to mention no HUD or PDR. Idk about you guys but I have become so accustomed to the HUD that I hate driving cars without it now. Also like you said Recaros are not an option for the "base" model. The 1LE was an awesome deal for me because I wanted something that was well spec'd off the showroom floor. I didn't want to feel like I had to rush out and add better tires, wider wheels, seats and an exhaust to really like the car. I spec'd out a premium how I would order it and it was 50k.....compared to 42 for my car. I'm curious too see how it stacks up performance wise.....In my head it still won't touch our cars because like we have beaten to death the more comparable car to the 1LE in terms of performance is the GT350. The biggest news IMO is that you can get the PP, mag ride, etc all on an auto mustang. That does nothing for me (#savethemanuals) but I know several will jump at the opportunity to get the new 10 speed with all the other goodies where previously the PP was manual only. Something else that comes to mind is how many issues will this first gen of transmissions hold up....if the 8 speeds FCA uses is any indication there will be several issues with them. Reflecting on my time spent in my last 5.0, I just cant imagine that car being anywhere near as planted as my 1LE is.....literally night and day difference between the two. Really have a hard time seeing that the new suspension will cure all of the cars handling issues. One more final thought is the trans.....do we know what they are actually using this round? The MT82 was just horrible and made so many noises it was crazy. I hope for mustang owners that they finally threw that thing in the trash and switched to something else.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I think the 1LE will still outhandle a GTPP car, but the GT PP will be much more competitive than the 15-17 Cars

I am curious to see what the mystery GT PP2 includes though..... that might put it at 1LE performance albeit at a higher price

This right here!!! That's what my biggest point was, the PP is more competitive now! I also completely forgot about PP2, that makes me wonder since the regular PP is only about $2k chaper than a 1LE what will the PP2 cost and how much more hardcore will it be?

My guess is it could be basically all of the suspension and handling bits from the 350 on a base GT. So think GT350(non-R) in a GT body with a 5.0 instead of the Voodoo maybe??? Just a guess...
Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #10
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
This right here!!! That's what my biggest point was, the PP is more competitive now! I also completely forgot about PP2, that makes me wonder since the regular PP is only about $2k chaper than a 1LE what will the PP2 cost and how much more hardcore will it be?

My guess is it could be basically all of the suspension and handling bits from the 350 on a base GT. So think GT350(non-R) in a GT body with a 5.0 instead of the Voodoo maybe??? Just a guess...
That's a good guess as the PP2 is only going to be offered on 6M cars.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 07-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
I agree that the PP2 will probably be the GT350 suspension and the 460HP 5.0. Ford will make it price competitive with our 1LE, within $2K. I doubt the differential will be as good.

It is amazing how the performance of cars continues to develop. Our 1LE is up with the Z28 at a way lower cost and the new PP2 will be GT350 performance at a lower cost.

We are in a Golden Age of performance cars again. Is it 1968 or 1970?
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #12
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
The direct competitor to the SS 1LE is the GT PP. Yes, it does get compared to a GT350 at times, but that is due to it's performance being on par with that car. That doesn't mean they are in the same class...the SS and GT are in the same class, and the 1LE and PP options are their track packages.

Now, they made no changes to the GT350, so you know the GT PP obviously can't come to close to that cars overall handling as that is the halo car and costs much more. With the SS 1LE basically matching, and in some cases beating a GT350, I don't see this new GT PP coming too close to a SS 1LE at all on track.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post

• brakes
  • stiffer suspension
  • eLSD
From what I'm seeing (unless I'm missing some details), the performance package isn't quite on the same level as the 1LE. Looks to me like it's more a competitor to the SS instead of the 1LE at this point.
Spot on. Yes the new mustang especially with the A10 may be faster in a straight line (we'll see) but the PP will not be anywhere close to the 1LE on a track.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
The direct competitor to the SS 1LE is the GT PP. Yes, it does get compared to a GT350 at times, but that is due to it's performance being on par with that car. That doesn't mean they are in the same class...the SS and GT are in the same class, and the 1LE and PP options are their track packages.

Now, they made no changes to the GT350, so you know the GT PP obviously can't come to close to that cars overall handling as that is the halo car and costs much more. With the SS 1LE basically matching, and in some cases beating a GT350, I don't see this new GT PP coming too close to a SS 1LE at all on track.
I think the GTPP2 will come pretty close to the 1LE. I would still give 1LE the advantage though. The 350 would still have the power advantage, brake and tire advantage over the GT PP2