Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Would you go for the Hybrid V6 or the SS?
SS 150 89.29%
Hybrid-V6 18 10.71%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #71
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I wouldn't TRADE my V8 for a hybrid version, but I would consider one as my daily driver. My current ride sat in the garage for much of it's first year in my life. Why? Because I didn't want to detail it after rain, or the tires weren't correct for weather conditions, or my wife doesn't like to ride in it and we both wanted to go. That changed to a great degree after I installed the eForce SC...the immediate response to the throttle pedal is addictive. She now sports Nitto 555Rii tires on the rear and it's a hoot to drive.

So, a hybrid version daily driver makes a lot of sense to me. I have even considered a Chevy Bolt as a daily driver and might have bought one except for it's high price of entry! There's nothing wrong with having your cake and eating it too!
What about a CPO Bolt, or Volt? Seems like they would depreciate massively in the first few years and letting someone else take that initial hit is a great option.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #72
GTO_Gregory

Drives: 2016 Camaro
If the V6 made 315HP and the electric motors added 135HP, then maybe yes to the V6.
But, since this thing is likely an automatic, it needs something to add pizazz!
2006 Quicksilver 6-speed GTO ERL LS3-430, All-Pro 285cc heads, 262/273 .758/.742 116+3 cam, Sheet-metal Intake, 70lb Siemens injectors, SLP, GMM Ripshifter, QA1 Coil-overs front and rear, nylon suspension bushings, Hotchkis, RPM Trans, SPEC twin clutch, SpinTech, Kooks 1 7/8 -2.0", BMR drive train, Kaaz 3.91, Lingenfelter CAI, Baer brakes, mini-tubs, E85.
GTO_Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #73
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO_Gregory View Post
If the V6 made 315HP and the electric motors added 135HP, then maybe yes to the V6.
But, since this thing is likely an automatic, it needs something to add pizazz!

Camaro voice assistant done in the voice of the original KITT. You can yell at it and it uses neural net heuristics to respond to you based on a full library of all of KITT's sayings and when connected to a phone, access to an online library of learned responses based on google map locations / etc.

It would also be able to control an in-dash screen area that gives it a cool swiping red scope and uses access to the car's internal and external cameras to recognize you and other people and things and respond to them.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:10 PM   #74
BigGuy81
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to BigGuy81 Send a message via AIM to BigGuy81 Send a message via Yahoo to BigGuy81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
No car with a Camaro badge must ever be electric or hybrid. End of story. They can make any car they want as an electric but it must not have a Camaro badge. I'd hope they retire the name before making it electric. It's too historicaly tied to American small block muscle to have an electric anything in it.
Oh this is what we’re doing today? Posting absolute horrible takes?
BigGuy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #75
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy81 View Post
Oh this is what we’re doing today? Posting absolute horrible takes?
No, just stating fact. I’ve already written to General Motors as well. The Camaro shall always be strictly a 4 stroke internal combustion engine with a V8 option or kill the nameplate. End of debate.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #76
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
No, just stating fact. I’ve already written to General Motors as well. The Camaro shall always be strictly a 4 stroke internal combustion engine with a V8 option or kill the nameplate. End of debate.
That's what I thought when they stopped building the big block Camaro and then embarrassed the ZL1 name on a 2010^ model.
You'll get used to it. I've had to endure the modern rendition's of the "Malibu" for decades. At least they didn't call it a Chevelle.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:57 PM   #77
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Could be worse. The Ford Karen is now named the Mustang Mach E. LOL.
Didn't Chevy recently build a 9 second electric Camaro to make a point? Just imagine if they really put an effort into that thing.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:20 PM   #78
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
What about a CPO Bolt, or Volt? Seems like they would depreciate massively in the first few years and letting someone else take that initial hit is a great option.
As far as used cars go, hybrids are fine but I'd be a bit more cautious with an EV. Depending on the battery tech and capacity, you could be getting a car with batteries on their last legs.

Old Nissan Leaf costs next to nothing for a reason.

Quote:
It's more of an opinion on your part. As far as GM is concerned, if it brings in money, that's all that matters. Corporations usually aren't too concerned with such dignities.

I already lost some respect for GM with those "Real People" ads... But supposedly they are working. Go figure.

Quote:
Could be worse. The Ford Karen is now named the Mustang Mach E. LOL.
Now we are gonna give Karens the power to run over crowds.

Absolutely nothing will go wrong with that.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #79
cellsafemode

Quote:
Electric Camaro, yes. But it wasn't a CUV named Camaro.
It will be. Chevy would be getting a lot of flack for creating more cars when the public only wants CUV's and SUV's and trucks.

The Civic type R is going hybrid electric with a 400hp platform on their 4banger turbo gas engine. I think i heard of a couple other imports doing the same.

If US cars dont follow suit, you're gonna start seeing headlines about crappy civics running circles around muscle/pony cars. Further reducing the market for a dying breed.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #80
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
It will be. Chevy would be getting a lot of flack for creating more cars when the public only wants CUV's and SUV's and trucks.

The Civic type R is going hybrid electric with a 400hp platform on their 4banger turbo gas engine. I think i heard of a couple other imports doing the same.

If US cars dont follow suit, you're gonna start seeing headlines about crappy civics running circles around muscle/pony cars. Further reducing the market for a dying breed.
That's just a rumour at this stage.

Personally I don't think Honda will do that, or at least they will still have an ICE-only version.

Think about it. The current Civic Type R is already a bit overpriced. That's what essentially gives Veloster N a market. Now you wanna make a hybrid version, and add some stupid dealer mark-up on it, you'd be paying $50+k for one.

Also, hybrid very likely means no manual trans, and Type R isn't really the type of car for rich snobs, so not sure who it will really attract other than some die-hard Honda fans.

And unmodified hot hatches running circles around a Camaro SS... Doubt that's gonna happen when you consider that, at the core, hot hatch has the same chassis as their family car counterpart. It's going back to the Camaro vs. Mustang argument again: you can hide it all you want, but the chassis difference is still there.

That's also to mention that people don't tend to cross-shop a pony car and a hot hatch. Even if a hot hatch is faster, so what? Doesn't have the V8 grumble, and Civic Type R(ice) looks ridiculous. Hot hatch guys probably makes fun of us saying we are heavy and have ancient pushrod V8 or whatever.

My guess is that, seeing how Acura is trying to be sporty again with the new TLX, they may incorporate some system into the TLX in the future. I don't really expect the Acura NSX tech to directly trickle down to Civic Type R without trickling through Acura cars first.

Sent from toaster or something

Past:
Old 07-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #81
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post

It's still an ugly copy of the Batmobile. And this is coming from a guy who's owned two Hondas over the last 20 years (2000 Prelude 5 speed and 2009 Accord EX-L V6 6 speed).

Honda does some things really well. Others, really bad. They need to stop with the Fast and Furious thing. That went out in like 2003. 10 foot tall spoilers and coffee can farting exhaust tune is also old. That got old in 1998. Another cheesy thing is that the Brembos on the Type-R are only fronts - the rear brakes are stock Civic. Just looking at them from the side screams cost cutting and "who are you kidding". The car is for kids with more money than car brains. Serious car enthusiasts laugh at it.

Now, if they do the right thing and put that 2.0 turbo into a proper sports sedan that doesn't look like a nightmare and is rear or all wheel drive, you would definitely be right.

Plus, front wheel drive..... I never once claimed my Prelude or Accord could ever out perform an F-Body Camaro then. Never did and still don't today. That Type-R won't out handle our SSs on the track..... The SS is M3 territory now.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #82
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
As far as used cars go, hybrids are fine but I'd be a bit more cautious with an EV. Depending on the battery tech and capacity, you could be getting a car with batteries on their last legs.

Old Nissan Leaf costs next to nothing for a reason.
That's why I'm saying CPO, still comes with a warranty. Sometimes it's better than the new one. No way would I recommend or want to own a hybrid/EV outside of warranty. Much like a late model German car, things can get really expensive really quickly.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #83
UnknownJinX

Quote:
It's still an ugly copy of the Batmobile. And this is coming from a guy who's owned two Hondas over the last 20 years (2000 Prelude 5 speed and 2009 Accord EX-L V6 6 speed).

Honda does some things really well. Others, really bad. They need to stop with the Fast and Furious thing. That went out in like 2003. 10 foot tall spoilers and coffee can farting exhaust tune is also old. That got old in 1998. Another cheesy thing is that the Brembos on the Type-R are only fronts - the rear brakes are stock Civic. Just looking at them from the side screams cost cutting and "who are you kidding". The car is for kids with more money than car brains. Serious car enthusiasts laugh at it.

Now, if they do the right thing and put that 2.0 turbo into a proper sports sedan that doesn't look like a nightmare and is rear or all wheel drive, you would definitely be right.

Plus, front wheel drive..... I never once claimed my Prelude or Accord could ever out perform an F-Body Camaro then. Never did and still don't today. That Type-R won't out handle our SSs on the track..... The SS is M3 territory now.
You forgot to mention the fake grilles. Yep, Civic Type R(ice). At least I have heard that in some regions, you can get one without the humongous wing.

Personally I think Golf R is so much better in terms of aesthetics. I really dig the subtlety of the Golf R.

And heh, the 2021 TLX will have the 2.0T engine and it's supposedly a platform built to be a sports Sedan(rather than a fancy Honda Accord). But it probably won't be cheap with the luxury inside it.

I maintain that JDM is dead(other than the bajullion-year-old GT-R). It has been dead for a good while now. American ponies are the ones battling Germans now. I dare anyone to change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
That's why I'm saying CPO, still comes with a warranty. Sometimes it's better than the new one. No way would I recommend or want to own a hybrid/EV outside of warranty. Much like a late model German car, things can get really expensive really quickly.
Actually I wouldn't mind an old Prius. In BC, Canada, a lot of cabs are Prius and they go to 630k miles(1 million km) easily. Cab drivers even buy them out when they retire from the fleet. Usually those don't cost much either to be a good beater.

But yeah, CPO/warranty on an EV is kind of a must.

Past:
Old 07-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #84
cellsafemode

Quote:

Those potentially new upcoming hybrids for the type-r and such would almost certainly be all wheel drive (with the electrics powering the wheels that the gas isn't).

Pushing all your torque on two wheels when you have 4 leads to slower acceleration, poorer handling. Things that matter to the general public more than how much fun it is to swing rear ends of cars around turns on a non-public road.

Unfortunately, with a RWD setup, you can't make use of good weight distribution by having electric motors over the wheels the gas engine isn't powering for an AWD setup. All the weight will be up front and crammed ...or you'll have to move the gas engine or turn it into a gas engine powering the front wheels only.

So a hybrid camaro almost certainly will have to deal with electric and gas not putting power down to the ground at the same time on different wheels. Putting it at a disadvantage to cars that can (fwd or rear engine).