Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 12-15-2020, 11:20 PM   #99
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Drives: 2009 CTS-V, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Based on Tony's comments above, it appears his version of the LT1 and LT4 throttle bodies are not the same?

I have a Tony Mamo PTB V2 on my SS 1LE. However, I recently purchased a ZL1. I retained the TM PTB V2. I recall reading that the TB for the LT1 and LT4 are the same. So logic would suggest that Tony's PTB for my SS 1LE would simply bolt on to my ZL1 LT4? But Tony's comments above suggest otherwise.

Can a LT1 V2 be used on a LT4?
Im sure I have addressed this a few times in this long thread but the answer to your question is you can swap an LT1 TB into an LT4 application.

It should provide zero headaches, codes or hassles BUT a dedicated LT4 unit from me (which is a little more aggressively ported) will yield slightly better part throttle response in your LT4 application.

Now going the other way is more problematic.....an LT4 TB installed on an LT1 car might throw a code (in fact it will likely throw a code). There is less "hiproom" in the LT1's naturally aspirated ECM tune/airflow tables and the additional air the LT4 unit flows part throttle can lead to a code being thrown related to that situation. It's the main reason there are two different units that I sell....I'm basically forced to build a slightly more conservative unit for LT1 applications to better play nice with their more finicky ECM.

Now if you have a good tuner and he can adjust the tune properly you can run an LT4 (or an even larger ported ZR1 TB) on an LT1 application but it will not be a plug and play situation.

Hope this helps....the short answer is you should have zero issues with the direction your going (LT1 on an LT4 application)....you just leave a little on the table in regards to part throttle response with your "fatter tuned" LT4.

In fact I think that's one of the reasons I can get away with more air in the lower throttle positions of my LT4 TB's....they are usually a bit too rich from the factory there and it helps clean things up.

Regards,
Tony
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:28 PM   #100
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports View Post
Im sure I have addressed this a few times in this long thread but the answer to your question is you can swap an LT1 TB into an LT4 application.

It should provide zero headaches, codes or hassles BUT a dedicated LT4 unit from me (which is a little more aggressively ported) will yield slightly better part throttle response in your LT4 application.

Now going the other way is more problematic.....an LT4 TB installed on an LT1 car might throw a code (in fact it will likely throw a code). There is less "hiproom" in the LT1's naturally aspirated ECM tune/airflow tables and the additional air the LT4 unit flows part throttle can lead to a code being thrown related to that situation. It's the main reason there are two different units that I sell....I'm basically forced to build a slightly more conservative unit for LT1 applications to better play nice with their more finicky ECM.

Now if you have a good tuner and he can adjust the tune properly you can run an LT4 (or an even larger ported ZR1 TB) on an LT1 application but it will not be a plug and play situation.

Hope this helps....the short answer is you should have zero issues with the direction your going (LT1 on an LT4 application)....you just leave a little on the table in regards to part throttle response with your "fatter tuned" LT4.

In fact I think that's one of the reasons I can get away with more air in the lower throttle positions of my LT4 TB's....they are usually a bit too rich from the factory there and it helps clean things up.

Regards,
Tony
Thanks for the verification Tony.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote