Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 03-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #15
Mike502

Drives: 2016 C7 conv 7 speed. Black/black
You know they are discounting 16 Mustang GT's for $5K and 15's for $7300. They are sitting on lots. There are used 15's all over the place.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #16
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I drove both of these cars nearly back to back and the Mustang just felt old. It had rattles and didn't feel like it had a power advantage even over my gen 5 Camaro. That GT Premium was over $40k. I bought a moderately optioned 2SS for less than the GT with discounts.

If you want a real comparison, do it 1SS vs the plain Mustang GT and you will easily see the difference between the two...not necessarily in the Camaro's favor. If performance is your focus, buy the Camaro at any price. It would take a bunch of Mustang after market performance parts to come anywhere close to the Camaro SS.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #17
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
The Mustang has a very nice interior equal to the Camaros, roomier interior, better visibility and perhaps is a little better looking to the average person judging by reactions to both cars on a recent trip to South Beach. It also can be a little less expensive.

The Camaro is clearly the better performer and is not a clear loser in the other categories except for visibility.

So a Camaro for me. Performance is why I drive these cars. Fun.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #18
Beaveroner

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue
After test driving the Mustang a couple of times and still not having had a chance to drive, let alone sit in a Camaro, I decided to order a 2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium back in late October 2015. Dealer promised the car would be in by end of December... Well, that never happened!

In January I was told they were expecting my Mustang in mid Feb. Unfortunately for them, In mid January on my way back to work I drove by a Chevrolet store and noticed they had a 2016 Camaro. I decided I might as well check it out. Although I did not get to drive the Camaro, I was able to go through the vehicle well enough for me to decide that on aesthetics alone, not only was the exterior sexier and meaner looking but the interior styling looked great as well.

Below are some comparisons that me and my wife made that helped me decide on the eventual cancellation of my Mustang..

Frontend: Camaro (Mustang FE seemed to droop to me)
Hood: Camaro (Loved the lines and the placement of the heat extractors)
Side view: Even
Wheels: Mustang (Absolutely loved the GTPP wheels over anything GM was offering)
Rearend: Mustang (That blacked out rear, those tail lights, the rear defuser, nice!)
Rear Spoiler: Camaro (I separated this because the Mustang doesn't come with it??)
Interior Styling: Camaro (Hands down. GM did a great job, even with all the plastic!)
Interior comfort: Even

As for the all important road test comparisons, well, let me just say that when I finally got a chance to drive the 2016 Camaro, I purchased it that same evening. I can get into detail here but I wouldn't be saying anything different than everyone else has already said.. The visibility in the Mustang over the Camaro, but that is it! GM must have been licking their chops with this one cause man is it a great performer. I absolutely love my Camaro!

2016 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue Metallic

Last edited by Beaveroner; 03-22-2016 at 01:43 AM.
Beaveroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #19
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
I honestly feel like im missing no options coming from a fully loaded g8 gt. In fact i like the options more in my 1ss compared to my g8.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #20
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
Is the Mustang cheaper, really?

I test drove both of them and I found a huge improovement in handling and performance with the Camaro SS, the Mustang GT can not hold a candle to it. I you want a better performer...

I consider that it would take several thousand Dollars and a lot of work in modifications in order to make the GT perform as good as the stock SS.
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:58 PM   #21
z28guy30

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
You made a good decision...great looking car man! Welcome to the winning team. lol

BTW I agree with most of your comparisons, but would give the edge to the Camaro from the side view.
z28guy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:58 AM   #22
Beaveroner

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28guy30 View Post
You made a good decision...great looking car man! Welcome to the winning team. lol

BTW I agree with most of your comparisons, but would give the edge to the Camaro from the side view.
Thanks!

Regarding the side view, I don't I just felt like both look pretty lack luster. Almost like so much attention was pay'd to the rest of the car that when they looked at the vehicle from the side that maybe they just said o'well. Lol.

2016 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Beaveroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:02 PM   #23
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Just reading through these comments, it seems all of us or at least most, agree the Camaro is at least the equal of the Mustang in appearance and everyone knows the Camaro outperforms it's competition. However, at one point, I almost bit on a new Mustang GT Premium. If it had had another 25-50 HP, I would have bought it. But, it's worst negative is how old the interior seems compared to the Camaro.

I look for reasons to drive my Camaro, especially since it's getting close to completing the break-in period. It's an awesome performer...simply awesome!

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #24
Katastrophe

Drives: 2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX CVT
OP - As with most opinions...take them with a grain of salt. The absolute best thing you can do as a consumer is DRIVE the cars.

Drive them as much as possible in the city, highway, parking lots...heck, take em' shopping and see which is the easiest to live with. I've recently driven a 1SS and 2SS 6th gen as well as a 2016 Mustang. They each have pros and cons and depending on what you value more in your car...either one can be the right car for you.

I had this dilemma when I bought my Mustang in 2013. I looked at all 3 of the offerings from Dodge, Ford and GM. It came down to bang/buck. I would have been happy with each of the 3 cars (I still feel that way with the 2016's, to be honest), but at the end of the day it came down to price/performance.

Honestly, figure out what's more important to you in your car...then go from there. Above all else, DRIVE them.
Katastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #25
6th Gen SS
LT-Won!

Drives: USB ISF 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaveroner View Post
Thanks!

Regarding the side view, I don't I just felt like both look pretty lack luster. Almost like so much attention was pay'd to the rest of the car that when they looked at the vehicle from the side that maybe they just said o'well. Lol.
I actually love the side view on the 6th gen. It does not look slab-sided like the 5th gen. The revised stamping(deeper & opposite-drxl-flow)of the lower fender/door area and the shaved/sculpted line of the top of the rear quarter does the trick- in person especially.

(5th gen looks very fat to me- I get that the 6th gen has smaller trunk/backseat but WGAS?)

While the mustang looks impressive in person (better than in pics imo), I can't get into the droopy fastback rear.

My stang gripes:

1. Rear end design
2. Base models get tiny 'Texas Instruments calculator display screen'
3. Lack of torque/performance #s
4. Can't get perf pack in auto/auto can't get same rear gears as the manual (3.73).
5. Exhaust too quiet
6. GT--Too afraid to truly compete with SS bc that would step on the toes of their specialty models.

Last edited by 6th Gen SS; 03-25-2016 at 01:59 PM.
6th Gen SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #26
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAR0STEVE View Post
It's actually in the shop now. Will recieve it back tomorrow and was going to take some pictures
did you get the car back? pics of the seats?
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote