Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 01-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #15
16red2ss

Drives: 2016 Red Camaro 2SS
I traded my C6 convertible for a 16 SS

I went to Chevrolet to buy a C7 but the day I went to test drive the C7 they were actually putting the first Camaro SS on the showroom floor. I drove it and fell in love. I get GM Supplier price which made the Camaro quite a bit cheaper than a C7. Don't get me wrong I love the Corvettes...I have had 7 of them but the Camaro is a lot of car for the money and I just couldn't pass it up...
16red2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 PM   #16
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I just traded my 2010 Corvette Grand Sport with 20K miles for a 2SS (or the promise of one when it's finally built). There is no question, the Camaro would win a straight line race, but a road course would be a different story. The Grand Sport handled like a go cart...awesome. Besides, I've owned a Grand Sport and am now waiting on my 2SS to be built and delivered.

I love Chevys, period!

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #17
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I just traded my 2010 Corvette Grand Sport with 20K miles for a 2SS (or the promise of one when it's finally built). There is no question, the Camaro would win a straight line race, but a road course would be a different story. The Grand Sport handled like a go cart...awesome. Besides, I've owned a Grand Sport and am now waiting on my 2SS to be built and delivered.

Ditto to most of this... I will be trading in my 2012 GS (23K mi) on a "build in progress" '16 2SS as well.

While I like my Corvette very much.. Now that I've test driven and sat in several different interior options, the interior is not even close. The new one in the Camaro destroys the one I have in my Vette and I even have the 4LT w/ Custom Cashmere option RPO 315.

Based on everything I've seen thus far and the 12.5 @ 115 the GS is capable of, the '16 is already faster in the straight line. So, win there ( esp since I'm going from A6 to A8 that will only get father apart as a I mod)

Road course remains to be seen. It's an odd world indeed that Corvettes are getting heavier and Camaros are getting lighter.. So, that weight spread on the two isn't as drastic as it used to be. Though, I feel the suspension and chassis design will play more to the C7 being what it is, if you're doing the hardcore road course thing.

Now, that being said, I'm not knocking the C7s.. I test drove many, even early on, and had a deal working on two different ones.. Just didn't work out. I'm an all winter driver in the midwest and doing that with a track prepped Vette is difficult at best. It's difficult with a Camaro, but not as much (and winter tire options are better as is ground clearance).

The GS is a GoKart for sure.. That I will miss.. But, honestly, you really can't go wrong with either.

If you're going to run the 1/4 all day in a car, you'll fair cheaper in a used LS3 (non-wide body) Corvette with price, mods available and over all "get in to" price. Though, I do see that you're looking to do manual only and a minimum of the GS body (FYI, that means you're stuck at '10+ as there is no GS less than 2010 -- unless it's a Z51 with wide body panels).

It really just depends on what you want to do with the car.. If it's an on/off DD that you just want to cruise around and enjoy, then a '10 GS manual with Targa would be very fun indeed. If you pick one up with NPP you won't really need to even mod out your exhaust. You put something like an A&A or ECS kit on it, even on the modest tunes, you'll have a very fun street toy. I've been in a centry powered, manual, targa off, GS w/ NPP... It's very exhilarating (as long as you mind the GY F1 tire grip at low speeds if you floor it)
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #18
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
If the OP is building up a race car, I don't think the '16 Camaro would be a good choice...or really any new or nearly new car unless he substantial funds beyond the purchase of the car.

The C6 would be a nice choice. You can buy them for a nice price and not worry as much about paying for interior pieces and various technology add-ons that you would be throwing out anyways. Also, it should be noted that, by now, there has been a lot of experience with the chassis so you won't be guessing on how to do certain things to it. Furthermore, used parts will be easier to come by.

One other thing I would consider is not doing a build-up from scratch. SCCA forums and Grassroots Motorsport magazine have plenty of race cars already for sale.
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #19
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Ditto to most of this... I will be trading in my 2012 GS (23K mi) on a "build in progress" '16 2SS as well.

While I like my Corvette very much.. Now that I've test driven and sat in several different interior options, the interior is not even close. The new one in the Camaro destroys the one I have in my Vette and I even have the 4LT w/ Custom Cashmere option RPO 315.

Based on everything I've seen thus far and the 12.5 @ 115 the GS is capable of, the '16 is already faster in the straight line. So, win there ( esp since I'm going from A6 to A8 that will only get father apart as a I mod)

Road course remains to be seen. It's an odd world indeed that Corvettes are getting heavier and Camaros are getting lighter.. So, that weight spread on the two isn't as drastic as it used to be. Though, I feel the suspension and chassis design will play more to the C7 being what it is, if you're doing the hardcore road course thing.

Now, that being said, I'm not knocking the C7s.. I test drove many, even early on, and had a deal working on two different ones.. Just didn't work out. I'm an all winter driver in the midwest and doing that with a track prepped Vette is difficult at best. It's difficult with a Camaro, but not as much (and winter tire options are better as is ground clearance).

The GS is a GoKart for sure.. That I will miss.. But, honestly, you really can't go wrong with either.

If you're going to run the 1/4 all day in a car, you'll fair cheaper in a used LS3 (non-wide body) Corvette with price, mods available and over all "get in to" price. Though, I do see that you're looking to do manual only and a minimum of the GS body (FYI, that means you're stuck at '10+ as there is no GS less than 2010 -- unless it's a Z51 with wide body panels).

It really just depends on what you want to do with the car.. If it's an on/off DD that you just want to cruise around and enjoy, then a '10 GS manual with Targa would be very fun indeed. If you pick one up with NPP you won't really need to even mod out your exhaust. You put something like an A&A or ECS kit on it, even on the modest tunes, you'll have a very fun street toy. I've been in a centry powered, manual, targa off, GS w/ NPP... It's very exhilarating (as long as you mind the GY F1 tire grip at low speeds if you floor it)
Great comments! I loved my GS...it never failed to turn heads and I had it down to 12.2s with CAI and a Diablo tune, with DRs. Had I decided to keep it, I would have super charged it, just for fun and driven it for some years.

I was really impressed with all the 2SS offers for the price over a 1SS. Yeah there are those that don't like it for it's appearance, but I think it's really a great looking car and a bargain in the pony car arena. I probably won't mod this car to any degree with the exception of a tune, maybe.

They're both Chevys and both beat anything the competition offers...just sayin.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #20
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Great comments! I loved my GS...it never failed to turn heads and I had it down to 12.2s with CAI and a Diablo tune, with DRs. Had I decided to keep it, I would have super charged it, just for fun and driven it for some years.

I was really impressed with all the 2SS offers for the price over a 1SS. Yeah there are those that don't like it for it's appearance, but I think it's really a great looking car and a bargain in the pony car arena. I probably won't mod this car to any degree with the exception of a tune, maybe.

They're both Chevys and both beat anything the competition offers...just sayin.
Sorry man.. I just noticed this reply.. My appologies.. lol

I'm still tinkering with my Cam6 notifications, so I miss some things.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #21
at7000ft

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
c6 is to dated. Its c7 or bust at this point with corvettes.

get the 6th gen camaro. they are sexy
I agree. However if you have never owned a C6 vette (and you have the control to never test drive a C7) it will be new to you and not having the latest tech that you get with an SS or C7 is not that big of a deal. I sold my 08 vette and have been thinking about a C6 GS or Camero SS. But after driving the SS with much of the C7 drive train and tech any C6 does look dated and much less interesting.
at7000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:58 PM   #22
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by at7000ft View Post
I agree. However if you have never owned a C6 vette (and you have the control to never test drive a C7) it will be new to you and not having the latest tech that you get with an SS or C7 is not that big of a deal. I sold my 08 vette and have been thinking about a C6 GS or Camero SS. But after driving the SS with much of the C7 drive train and tech any C6 does look dated and much less interesting.
Honestly I wouldn't mind owning a C6 Z06 with the LS7.

They are actual faster than the a base C7. Thats one of the best values for used sports car IMO.

I bought a C7 because i wanted something that had new tech/styling.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote