Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 07-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Consistent Loss of Power During Tracking Sessions

So I'm really noticing a power issue with my car and I think it may be intercooler related but I don't know and would like to get feedback...

I have noticed the car has less power than it should both when I'm on the street and running warm up laps on the track when the car is still relatively cool (evidence provided by my PDR system that shows how much slower I am on the straight stretches of the track despite exiting corners faster than ever before). The car then consistently loses more and more power through out each track session. In fact it gets so bad that 10 minutes into each 20 minute session I have to stop tracking the car because it accelerates so slowly and almost stops accelerating altogether.
Once I begin the next session 40 minutes later, the car isn't too bad for power, but still not at full power and then it just gets worse and the cycle repeats.

On 2 separate occasions a few weeks ago I noticed a small pink puddle under my car, like what AC does when it drops water, so I took it to the mechanic and he said the coolant system wasn't leaking but that he would need a tool to test the inter-cooler (which he did not have) but said he could not find any leaks anywhere upon visual inspection.

It seems to may be heat related to me. I think maybe their is air in the intercooler system? Thoughts?

If so does anyone know the correct tool to pressure test the intercooler?
Old 07-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
https://gm-techlink.com/?p=8540
Old 07-03-2020, 12:04 AM   #3
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
This seems pretty cut and dried - your intercooler is low on fluid. Get this for the simplest correction:

Mine works as advertise and no issues.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:22 AM   #4
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
why don't you log or just take a look at your Intake Air Temperatures when that starts to happen... IAT should be around 100 F while the car is moving no matter how hard your driving with 10 - 15 F fluctuations.. if its much higher than that, you know that supercharger cooling is not working correctly!! but note, while standing still with the car idling, the temp goes way up... its normal.. once you start moving, it goes down very quickly...

also check for Knock Retard and timing advance.. I had that happen a few times, after checking the suspicion was bad fuel.. once I gassed up at the track for last session with what they said was 91, and the car was off more than 10mph on the straight after a few laps. the whole session went to waist... I believe that when the knock sensor is unhappy (bad fuel, heat) it knocks you down to a low octane map and there goes your power.. maybe some tuners can chime in on this

You can use what I use... the Trorque app on your phone.. awesome app lets you see tons of data coming from your ecu, add gauges you can monitor on your phone, datalog, pull and erace codes. etc.. its no complicated at all

all you need is the app and a bluetooth obd device

here is a link

https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluet...s%2C322&sr=8-8

also, you can use your PDR recorded sessions to pull IAT data using a program called PI Toolbox.. so if you have that session recorded, you can find out if your intake air was too hot.. unlike torque, the PI Toolbox program is rather complicated.. there are vides available to help

interested to see what it is
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:01 AM   #5
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
very good advice listed above...likely the intercooler circuit has an air pocket...ECM dials back timing in this instance due to high IAT2 temps.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #6
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I agree with the above, a data logging tool will reveal what is going on with the car.

Do not go with the ADM kit though, it didn't work for me on the round course (came loose all the time) and I ended up buying the Cordes kit.
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #7
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
Thanks! Ordered the adapter for my mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
This seems pretty cut and dried - your intercooler is low on fluid. Get this for the simplest correction:

Mine works as advertise and no issues.
Sorry I don't see a link in your post

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 07-03-2020 at 05:21 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
GunMetalGrey

This is a picture of the coolant leak I found twice a few weeks back, but have not seen since.

It was dripping down the passenger side of the front most radiator that is most visible from the large front grill which I now understand to be the primary intercooler (I thought it was the radiator). Thanks for all the advice guys, I'd say it's quite obvious now that you are right.

Name:  Coolant Leak.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  121.6 KB

I had this same power loss problem last track day in June but not as bad, the car was consistently under powered but it never seemed to get worse through the track session like it did this time where it got very severe. I initially thought it was the differential because after the track day I noticed the tire shop had put mistakenly put a 305/30 on the drivers side rear and a 285/30 on the passenger's side rear which is a 2.5" difference in circumference.

Despite this, my car was still able to keep up with a 2018 Porsche GT3 (who was a decently good driver and was driving hard) and I set new PB's at the track thanks to the GY SC3R tires! I'm very impressed with this generation of Camaro

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 07-03-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
why don't you log or just take a look at your Intake Air Temperatures when that starts to happen... IAT should be around 100 F while the car is moving no matter how hard your driving with 10 - 15 F fluctuations.. if its much higher than that, you know that supercharger cooling is not working correctly!! but note, while standing still with the car idling, the temp goes way up... its normal.. once you start moving, it goes down very quickly...

You can use what I use... the Trorque app on your phone.. awesome app lets you see tons of data coming from your ecu, add gauges you can monitor on your phone, datalog, pull and erace codes. etc.. its no complicated at all

all you need is the app and a bluetooth obd device

here is a link

https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluet...s%2C322&sr=8-8

interested to see what it is
Had no idea this was possible so easily! It's been ordered and I'll borrow someones Android phone since mine is an Apple iPhone and I'm not sure how to match up Apple Apps with OBD2 Scan devices for compatibility.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:41 PM   #10
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
I don't know about other apps and not sure if toque is even available on apple, but if it is, or if there are comparable apps on apple and i'm sure there are, the app it self will allow you to choose a bluetooth paired device from your list of paired devises on your phone.. so first you have to pair your phone to the obd device using bluetooth, after that your app takes over and you should be good to go
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #11
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I used the ADM reservoir:

https://c-8parts.com/products/2016-2...sivoir-upgrade

I've had no issue with the system coming loose (sounds like a nylock would fix that). It is at a higher position than the Cordes system so a bit easier to refill, but likely not an issue either way.

The supercharger has two 'radiators'. One on the DRIVER's side and one dead center of the car's grill.

The radiator on the PASSENGER's side is an actual engine cooling auxiliary radiator.

Likely the leak could be coming from either and still be in vicinity of that spot. But since you have a power loss - it is more likely coming from the center supercharger radiator (heat exchanger)...needs fixed of course. No leaks are allowed...especially on the road course - slippery stuff!

Do a search on this forum if you want more info - good luck!
Old 07-04-2020, 09:06 PM   #12
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
the ADM setup works fine as I have at least 6K miles around VIR with no leaks and nothing has come loose!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #13
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I used the ADM reservoir:

https://c-8parts.com/products/2016-2...sivoir-upgrade

I've had no issue with the system coming loose (sounds like a nylock would fix that). It is at a higher position than the Cordes system so a bit easier to refill, but likely not an issue either way.

Likely the leak could be coming from either and still be in vicinity of that spot. But since you have a power loss - it is more likely coming from the center supercharger radiator (heat exchanger)...needs fixed of course. No leaks are allowed...especially on the road course - slippery stuff!

Do a search on this forum if you want more info - good luck!
It only leaked twice (That I saw, as per the picture I posted) and I’ve never seen it since then, my mechanic couldn’t find a leak either which is why we ordered the adapter to do a pressure test.

Did you use that ADM kit as a repair or upgrade or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
the ADM setup works fine as I have at least 6K miles around VIR with no leaks and nothing has come loose!
Did you use that ADM kit as a repair or upgrade or both?

Also I’m guessing depending on where the leak is I may not have to replace the entire intercooler, but just a part of it?

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 07-05-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:44 AM   #14
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
GMG, ive sent ya a PM.

PS great to see so many folks offering great help for ya!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, heat soak, intercooler, power, pressure