Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 12-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #85
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I love mine but I just had a CEL pop up- P1516 throttle actuator.

Emailed Tony.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #86
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
I love mine but I just had a CEL pop up- P1516 throttle actuator.

Emailed Tony.
Please keep us informed of the response and remedy. I put my V2 on just before Thanksgiving, but due to the holiday and crappy weather since I have really not had much of a chance to do any driving except to the store 6 miles away twice.

I see no one mentioning doing the battery disconnect and ECM relearn process except for some that may throw a code. But over in another vendor's ported TB thread and website, there is this two page ECM relearn instruction sheet that the vendor states is necessary to perform for all (giving several options on how to do so). I just plugged mine in and didn't do that procedure, but am curious as to why one vendor strongly suggests that procedure while Tony has not mentioned anything special to do with the exception of those few who throw a code. I assume the ECM relearns on it's own in a few drive cycles with varied speeds, yet the other vendor claims it is highly preferable to do their detailed ECM relearn process.

I wonder if anybody has done a comparison of ECM relearn processes on the TM V2 to just let the ECM do its thing or go through the detailed process recommended by the other vendor?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MTB+Relearn+and+Test+Instructions+Rev+NEW+V8.pdf (472.5 KB, 133 views)
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #87
avalonandl

I installed mine 5/20/20. No issues till now. It has had a slight surge at part throttle 2000-rpm in 2nd or 3rd,,,,

Old 12-03-2020, 12:59 PM   #88
Nitronut

Drives: Duramax, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I received Tony's V2 TB, I installed it and went for a test drive.... I noticed an immediate improvement off idle to mid-range and beyond..
Old 12-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #89
BrianL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronut View Post
I received Tony's V2 TB, I installed it and went for a test drive.... I noticed an immediate improvement off idle to mid-range and beyond..
That has been my experience too with the V2 I just received, although I have not yet done many drive cycles on it for the ECM "relearn" process.

After reading all of the Soler PTB string, and their insistence of doing the battery disconnect and relearn process plus some relearn steps outlined, I decided to try that process as well. Not sure if that is overkill or not as Tony hasn't mentioned that being necessary except for those who threw a code.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #90
Nitronut

Drives: Duramax, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
That has been my experience too with the V2 I just received, although I have not yet done many drive cycles on it for the ECM "relearn" process.

After reading all of the Soler PTB string, and their insistence of doing the battery disconnect and relearn process plus some relearn steps outlined, I decided to try that process as well. Not sure if that is overkill or not as Tony hasn't mentioned that being necessary except for those who threw a code.
I'm still in the drive cycle stage as well, so far so good.

I decided to go with....

(B) Abbreviated learning routine. Skip battery disconnect and only do the rest of steps in bold
red font in procedure C) below. Relearn takes longer, at least 100 miles subdivided into10
driving cycles.

BTW.. Thanks for posting that link.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #91
BrianL

Quote:
I e-mailed Tony to ask about the relearn process recommendations, and he responded with this:

If it's driving great dont do a thing......just let the computer relearn more as you drive it.

The more time you can give it (driving with some moderation in mind), the less chance of an issue you will have regarding dealing with codes etc.

The V2 is a really sweet piece.....I admittedly spent far too much time on that project but it's certainly nice when people like yourself can look at it and appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to get me some feedback.....send me a link to that thread if you get the chance

Cheers,
Tony
Old 12-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #92
avalonandl

Quote:
Please keep us informed of the response and remedy. I put my V2 on just before Thanksgiving, but due to the holiday and crappy weather since I have really not had much of a chance to do any driving except to the store 6 miles away twice.

I see no one mentioning doing the battery disconnect and ECM relearn process except for some that may throw a code. But over in another vendor's ported TB thread and website, there is this two page ECM relearn instruction sheet that the vendor states is necessary to perform for all (giving several options on how to do so). I just plugged mine in and didn't do that procedure, but am curious as to why one vendor strongly suggests that procedure while Tony has not mentioned anything special to do with the exception of those few who throw a code. I assume the ECM relearns on it's own in a few drive cycles with varied speeds, yet the other vendor claims it is highly preferable to do their detailed ECM relearn process.

I wonder if anybody has done a comparison of ECM relearn processes on the TM V2 to just let the ECM do its thing or go through the detailed process recommended by the other vendor?
Kind of disappointed in Tony, NO RESPONSE. I had the CEL cleared and its not come back but the slight surging at about 2200 rpm is back too....

Had a friend ship me down my old TB just incase I have to swap.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:15 AM   #93
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Drives: 2009 CTS-V, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Kind of disappointed in Tony, NO RESPONSE. I had the CEL cleared and its not come back but the slight surging at about 2200 rpm is back too....

Had a friend ship me down my old TB just incase I have to swap.
Just saw this.....I dont have any recent PM's and all my emails are current so I suggest trying to reach out again. I looked in my spam folder also and nothing there.

Send me an email at tony@mamomotorsports.com or just call (so 90's right....LOL). Leave a message if I can't pick up the phone

My personal cell is 661-714-1317

We will get you straightened out

-Tony
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #94
avalonandl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports View Post
Just saw this.....I dont have any recent PM's and all my emails are current so I suggest trying to reach out again. I looked in my spam folder also and nothing there.

Send me an email at tony@mamomotorsports.com or just call (so 90's right....LOL). Leave a message if I can't pick up the phone

My personal cell is 661-714-1317

We will get you straightened out

-Tony
Email sent. Thanks.....The previous email must have gone into the ether....UGH so 2020......LOL

Here is the picture of the new mechanic I suggest you hire....actually I think he has ben at work.... LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by avalonandl; 12-11-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #95
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
Hi all, looks like a great product and it seems plenty of very happy customers.

I'm considering a V2 for my car but wondering if anyone has first hand experienced of installing one into a supercharged LT1 (relatively safe tune); I have no doubt about potential gains but wondering if it will continue to be plug & play on a custom dyno tuned boosted engine.
Eibach Prokit springs
Mamo LT1 Ported TB
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:51 PM   #96
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Drives: 2009 CTS-V, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSS2018 View Post
Hi all, looks like a great product and it seems plenty of very happy customers.

I'm considering a V2 for my car but wondering if anyone has first hand experienced of installing one into a supercharged LT1 (relatively safe tune); I have no doubt about potential gains but wondering if it will continue to be plug & play on a custom dyno tuned boosted engine.
It depends on the tune....an LT1 version of my product would be a safer choice if you want to avoid tuning but an LT4 version would be a little more responsive (however it may require a brush up with the tune).

I say may.....its probably a coin toss with odds a little bit more in your favor than the house.....LOL

So if touching up the tune is something you don't want to deal with you should go the safe route and get an LT1V2......if you're willing to throw those dice than get an LT4 version.

Even an LT1 V2 is a big gain in CFM (airflow) and power (and responsiveness) over stock.....you would be very happy with either choice but the LT4 version would have a touch more part throttle response based on how its shaped versus the LT1.

Hope you find this info helpful

-Tony
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:34 AM   #97
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
Quote:
It depends on the tune....an LT1 version of my product would be a safer choice if you want to avoid tuning but an LT4 version would be a little more responsive (however it may require a brush up with the tune).

I say may.....its probably a coin toss with odds a little bit more in your favor than the house.....LOL

So if touching up the tune is something you don't want to deal with you should go the safe route and get an LT1V2......if you're willing to throw those dice than get an LT4 version.

Even an LT1 V2 is a big gain in CFM (airflow) and power (and responsiveness) over stock.....you would be very happy with either choice but the LT4 version would have a touch more part throttle response based on how its shaped versus the LT1.

-Tony
Thanks Tony, you're a gentleman and very helpful. I've emailed you separately and appreciate the advice. Currently looking into LT4 fuelling so I need to decide on that (once again, not easily available in Australia so I need to figure out logistics). If I go down that path, then I'll do the larger TB and get an install/tune all done together.
Eibach Prokit springs
Mamo LT1 Ported TB
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:53 PM   #98
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:

-Tony
Based on Tony's comments above, it appears his version of the LT1 and LT4 throttle bodies are not the same?

I have a Tony Mamo PTB V2 on my SS 1LE. However, I recently purchased a ZL1. I retained the TM PTB V2. I recall reading that the TB for the LT1 and LT4 are the same. So logic would suggest that Tony's PTB for my SS 1LE would simply bolt on to my ZL1 LT4? But Tony's comments above suggest otherwise.

Can a LT1 V2 be used on a LT4?
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote