Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #1
NiteBlitz

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Performance Reduced. Reduce clutch usage. Error message.

Keep on getting error message when accelerating fast in 4th and 5th gear. Car cuts acceleration even when pressing the gas pedal. If I release it then press pedal everything goes back to normal. Happens very often when flooring car. Have not tried to replicate in lower gears. Happens with and without rev match on. Read in manual that error code comes up when car notices clutch slipping. But clutch seems fine to me. Didn’t notice any issues. 2019 manual ZL1. 8k miles.
Any suggestions?
NiteBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #2
NiteBlitz

***Update***
Has been getting worse over time. Dropped car of the the local Chevy dealership. Awaiting results, they told me could take 3 to 4 days just to diagnose. Seems ridiculous.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Good luck - problems like this are so frustrating! Just curious - are you at a low rpm in fourth or fifth when you floor it? I don't ever floor mine in fourth or fifth when cruising. I down shift to third and then by the time I wind out 3rd for the shift I am way over the speed limit and let out of it in 4th. I can see the dealership balking a little at letting a tech try to duplicate the problem since it could involve some pretty high speeds to check out 4th and 5th gears.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
You're sure your left foot is 100% off the clutch right?

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
NiteBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
You're sure your left foot is 100% off the clutch right?
Yes absolutely is off resting somewhere on the left far side.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #6
NiteBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Good luck - problems like this are so frustrating! Just curious - are you at a low rpm in fourth or fifth when you floor it? I don't ever floor mine in fourth or fifth when cruising. I down shift to third and then by the time I wind out 3rd for the shift I am way over the speed limit and let out of it in 4th. I can see the dealership balking a little at letting a tech try to duplicate the problem since it could involve some pretty high speeds to check out 4th and 5th gears.
I have tried both actually. It cuts off once it hits around 4, sometimes I can get it to 6. It has started happening more frequently though. I would just cruise in 4th gear and theres a car I want to pass going about 45mph, I step on it and it cuts throttle within a second. It also started happening in 3rd and 2nd gear now.

I recently just got a text from the dealership saying they replicated the issue, and will keep me posted. They close in the next 30 minutes so doubt ill hear anything today. Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:06 PM   #7
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteBlitz View Post
I have tried both actually. It cuts off once it hits around 4, sometimes I can get it to 6. It has started happening more frequently though. I would just cruise in 4th gear and theres a car I want to pass going about 45mph, I step on it and it cuts throttle within a second. It also started happening in 3rd and 2nd gear now.

I recently just got a text from the dealership saying they replicated the issue, and will keep me posted. They close in the next 30 minutes so doubt ill hear anything today. Hopefully tomorrow.
That certainly is a concern for sure if it happens in the lower gears too. I'm glad to hear the problem was duplicated. That's a big first step.
I wish you the best and keep us posted on the findings.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
NiteBlitz

Update
Received another message from Service Advisor. Stated that they confirmed on test drive that the clutch is indeed slipping. There is no stored data so they will have to do a tear down to find the failure. Told me that he will give me the next update tomorrow afternoon.

On another note, I do not understand what they do with the vehicle in the mean time, just have it sit while they work on other cars? If they are working on a car and no parts are needed why not just stick with that car until they have a diagnosis and not put it off till the next day. Im guessing it has to do with profit or some quota to get to other cars first.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #9
NiteBlitz

***Well Just got a big update****

Service Advisor gave me a call. They found out what the issue was. A little backstory, I just recently purchased the car. About 3 weeks ago.

They found out that the car has undergone 10 ECM changes, and that the pully system for the supercharger has been changed to something stronger, not a mechanic or technical person with cars, so dont know much about this topic. Long story short, they say that the current clutch cannot handle the power output and is slipping, and probably is worn. To make matters worse the factory warranty is void. The drive train warranty is also void. They said they do not have the equipment to fix the situation.

So..... Guess I am ****ed. Hope there isn't any sensitive language folks in here.

I gave the dealership that sold me the car a call. Buick dealership, mid sized. I talked to the salesman that sold me the car, he was just as surprised as I was. He said that he will have his manager give me a call shortly. Will see how that conversation goes.

He called back as I was writing this, told me I can take the car in and they will look at the clutch, but shits 3.5 hours from me. And no grantee they will fix anything.

Called a local tuning shop. They said they will take a look at the car on Monday. So I set an appointment with them. I guess time will tell. Im thinking there are 2 options here, replace the clutch with something aftermarket strong enough to handle the extra output, or have them tune the car to lower output ( If that is a thing). And check the tune that is on there currently. No idea how much this will cost me. If anyone has any idea please let me know.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #10
Cechk01

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
If it were me, I'd just put a better clutch in it at this point
Cechk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #11
NiteBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cechk01 View Post
If it were me, I'd just put a better clutch in it at this point
Exactly what I was thinking, already invested lol.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
NiteBlitz

***Update***

Took the car in to a local performance shop. Clutch is completely ****ed based on what the mechanic said. Looks like I have to replace it. He recommended a McLeoad Twin disc clutch, cost about $2.5k. Not familiar with any after market parts as I just bought my first performance car. Anyways labor is about $900.00. He said clutch should last me lifetime of the car.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #13
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Niteb- Why did you purchase a MODIFIED ZL1 and not understand what you were getting into...

Was it bought from a dealer, private party etc.? They should have told you. Also a SLIPPING clutch is VERY APPARENT... you might be in a car you can't handle....

A Twin Disc Mcleod is about the best out there and very pricey.... as you found out...

About 4 months ago we had a poster who didnot understand that leaving an automatic in AUTO was the best way to drive it...Lack of knowledge...

We will try and help you, but need full info... who modified the car?

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD

Last edited by avalonandl; 05-26-2020 at 02:46 PM.
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #14
NiteBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
Niteb- Why did you purchase a MODIFIED ZL1 and not understand what you were getting into...

Was it bought from a dealer, private party etc.? They should have told you. Also a SLIPPING clutch is VERY APPARENT... you might be in a car you can't handle....

A Twin Disc Mcleod is about the best out there and very pricey.... as you found out...

About 4 months ago we had a poster who didnot understand that leaving an automatic in AUTO was the best way to drive it...Lack of knowledge...

We will try and help you, but need full info... who modified the car?
It was purchased from a mid sized Buick dealer in Florida. I purchased the vehicle under the impressions that it was stock. Had no idea it was modified. Nor was it mentioned to me that it had modifications done. I am just getting into this performance arena and was eyeing the Zl1 for a couple of years before pulling the trigger.

I have not driven a manual car in about 8 years prior to this purchase. So I was a bit rusty first couple of days. Not sure if its possible to burn through a clutch that quickly. Not saying that I grinded it or what not. The slipping of the clutch and error messages did not come up until about week 2 after purchase. It only became apparent on week 3 when it gradually became worse. Did not show higher rpms and such until a few days ago. Prior to that kind of hard to tell with a new car and not driving stick for 8 or so years, at least for me.

Not sure what you are insinuating that I may not be able to handle the car. Just because I am not familiar with it yet and was a bit rusty with my shifting does not mean I am incapable of learning and getting there. I joined this forum to gain knowledge.

Who modified it I have no idea. Probably the previous owner. Carfax on the car indicate only one prior owner. Then the dealership getting it. Had no reports of any modifications.