Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
Just a few questions about the ZL1 1LE and the ZL1

1. Have any of you traded your ZL1 1LE for a regular ZL1 for any particular reason?

2. Since the ZL1 has fog lights and the ZL1 1LE does not, does it make a big difference in illuminating the road to see better at night?

3. Is the ZL1 1LE much slower than the regular ZL1 in a straight line race due to the aero setup or is there not much of a difference in acceleration in both during high speeds?

4. Are there any limited interior features in the ZL1 1LE over the ZL1 or are they pretty much both the same?

5. Are maintenance expenses between the ZL1 1LE and ZL1 the same (if not tracking either)? Brakes,tires,etc.
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #2
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Based on #5, “not tracking either” there is no reason to throw the extra coin at a 1LE unless you just like the look of the aero better. The ZL1 has more track capability than most can utilize. The 1LE has even more track “ability”. The ZL1 is more of a street car.

Just get the one that appeals to you and run with it.

You’ll have some 1LE guys saying they are as fast or faster than a ZL1 (they aren’t). The aero creates drag. It’s slower on the big end and the top speeds of each car reflect it. The 1LE is obviously (likewise) quicker on the track. It really doesn’t matter though, they are both plenty fast.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
ponyboy96

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10, 2018 F250 Diesel
All on what you are doing with it. If ripping up some twisty roads is your thing, then you’ll be much faster in the 1le. It will be much easier to drive faster. If you’re just cruising and drag racing, the regular zl1 will be better with the mag ride suspension. I bought my ZLE to handle and hit the road course with it. It is a beast on the street. Took it to the dragon today and it did anything I wanted it to do with ease. I’m very impressed how it handles.
ponyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
Synister87

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
You will definitely be buying your first set of tires sooner on the 1LE. There is no difference in the interiors beyond how it is optioned from the factory. They are both loaded.

Having never driven a standard ZL1 I can't say it is faster. I could definitely feel my 1LE suck to the road as I approached 150. You will loose some on the top end and it will cut a couple of tenths off your 1/4 mile time. But it's still a damn fast car.

Never had fog lights so I never missed them. I was never out in bad weather at night in mine. Visibility was about normal for a car.
Synister87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Spring for a PDR car if you can afford it; its much cheaper to buy it on the front end than add it later. Dealerships will say it cannot be added, but a few of us have done it.

I really like my 1LE; as long as the roads arent too bad. It is a much harsher ride than the standard ZL1 with mag ride. In the 1LE, I can feel and hear every bump in the road.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
Junkyardspecial

1. No
2. They arent fog lights, they are DRLs
3. you wont notice top end difference unless youre up above 130ish
4. not sure the what youre asking, major difference is no active suspension in the 1LE
5. yes maintenance is the same, if you dont plan to track, get the regular ZL1

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:29 PM   #7
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Are we talking manual or A10?
Old 05-17-2020, 12:58 AM   #8
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
If you're not tracking or at least planning regular mountain road runs I don't see why you would get a 1LE with the aero and track suspension. The standard ZL1 feels much more composed than my 2SS, I was pleasantly surprised and in my opinion it's well suited to aggressive street driving. Also I didn't want the monster wing because of the added drag for high speed grudge kills and more unwanted attention from the cops
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:58 AM   #9
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
I went from a 17 1SS A8 to a 19 ZLE M6 and did some research for about 2 or 3 months before deciding on the ZLE because I did not want to regret not getting the ZE, and it all depends on what you really want and considering that in my area there more regular ZL1's than ZLE's, and with better tires then the 3R's the ZLE to me is nicer to drive, the light output on the ZLE is more than enough plus all in all the ZLE does turn heads.
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:56 AM   #10
Chris 2018 ZL1 A10

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZL1
I traded my ‘17 2SS A8 for my current ‘18 ZL1 A10. The money required to upgrade the LT1 to LT4 performance would have been more than it cost to do the trade, still leaving me with the SS A8, diff, etc. The cost of the trade upgrades the ENTIRE drivetrain in addition to an extra 195 hp, all under factory warranty. The A10 is a technological triumph thanks to a recent collaborative effort between Ford and GM. Check out this link:
https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...0speed-gm.html

Finally, I was a young boy during the classic muscle car era of the ‘60s. While I was too young to drive, I vividly remember other family members showing up to gatherings in a GTO, Chevelle SS or a Dodge Charger. Certainly made an impression on me. Comparatively speaking, the muscle cars of today, in what may be the twilight of their existence, are stunning achievements in mechanical and electrical engineering.

Chris
Chris 2018 ZL1 A10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #11
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
To re-affirm what Junkyardspecial stated above, the ZL1 does NOT have fog lights. Not sure where you got that from.

But, the HID headlights on my 2018 are plenty bright. I have only driven her a few times after dark, but there is plenty of light.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:12 AM   #12
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
I really prefer the wheels/ caliper combination on the ZLE. The aero for ZLE is attractive as well, but I could do without it. The ‘standard’ Z is still a home run, but the wheels don’t seem to match the aggressiveness of the rest of the car...

Most feel decision is based on tracking the car. I wouldn’t track it, but I would still tolerate the firm suspension because it looks great and drives like it looks . It’s a p!ssed off transformer.

Resale/ depreciation are similar as far as I can tell. Sucks you can’t order LE with street tires, however. That’s $1800 or so right out of the gate...

Last edited by cooldawg; 05-17-2020 at 12:16 PM.
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #13
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldawg View Post
I really prefer the wheels/ caliper combination on the ZLE. The zero for ZLE is attractive as well, but I could do without it. The ‘standard’ Z is still a home run, but the wheels don’t seem to match the aggressiveness of the rest of the car...

Most feel decision is based on tracking the car. I wouldn’t track it, but I would still tolerate the firm suspension because it looks great and drives like it looks . It’s a p!ssed off transformer.

Resale/ depreciation are similar as far as I can tell. Sucks you can’t order LE with street tires, however. That’s $1800 or so right out of the gate...
Especially since Goodyear now makes the standard SC3 tires in stock ZLE sizes. It would be awesome if that was a dealer option to be able to choose the tire.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
It depends on your intended use as to which one you buy Maro 89. If you are planning on doing a lot of track events then the ZLE is your Camaro but if you want a good street Camaro then the regular ZL1 would fill the bill. The ZLE was built as a specific track car that you can drive to and from to the track but as you know the tires are made for track use and wear out fast. If you really like the look of the ZLE and can afford one then just change the tires to a summer performance tire and rock on!��